Cadets 2016

Tobias

"I'm not dissing the cadets" and those goes on to "diss the cadets"

I do find it very interesting that particular Crown fans are so interested in nit-picking the Cadets.

I guess just 1 championship leaves a fan base in that position of going after one of the legendary DCI programs.

And you can only clean what you actually HAVE in your program. Not much drill = not much cleaning to do.

Wallace hits it on the head with "did anyone consider the difficulty of the 2015 show..."

Anyway - suggest the Crown heads go troll in their own thread.

What's more interesting to me is here you have an extremely mature program (in Cadets) with 10 championships under its belt and we are all looking forward to hearing more about the 2016 program due to their never-ending nature to push the boundaries and put different type programs on the field over the years. Cadets are many things - dull is not one of them. Scared is not one of them. Afraid to take risks is not one of them

can't discuss the point so let's the change the topic. gotta love the borg -- they always revert to form.

and the cadets are pretty much the only corps to have executed this particular uniform switch at this time.

what really grinds you is that anyone with eyes saw the same thing happen.

sure you can blame the field ...

(except that no other corps suddenly had all those new interval and alignment issues become apparent)

or the "show"....

(you and many other never noticed all this dirt until the uniform swap)

or crown!

(which make me lol even more)

fwiw if the cadets start this season in black, i wouldn't expect to see the same thing happen.

yeah but the issues continued the rest of the season.

im not dissing the cadets at all. but you can only clean what you see.

and clearly no one saw that dirt until the uniform switch.

it's funny how everyone always said "Cadets are so immaculate" -- and indeed those lower bodies were NICE -- but what *weren't* we seeing all those years?

the impact of uniform design on our perceptions is really interesting. and it's REALLY hilarious that black uniforms exposed all that dirt.

Disagreed. Cadets marched extremely well last year. Dirt wasn't "all of a sudden" exposed with the uniform change. What did change was the visual-spatial cues of a multi colored uniform that suddenly became a monotone dark uniform, Peripheral vision cues became very different way to late in the season resulting in spacing and form issues. Take a top guard and put them in sombreros the last week if the season and let's watch the drops, and timing issues that result. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

can't discuss the point so let's the change the topic. gotta love the borg -- they always revert to form.

and the cadets are pretty much the only corps to have executed this particular uniform switch at this time.

what really grinds you is that anyone with eyes saw the same thing happen.

sure you can blame the field ...

(except that no other corps suddenly had all those new interval and alignment issues become apparent)

or the "show"....

(you and many other never noticed all this dirt until the uniform swap)

or crown!

(which make me lol even more)

fwiw if the cadets start this season in black, i wouldn't expect to see the same thing happen.

Your missing 1. my point & 2. the "on the field reality"

1. My point in the discussion was to switch the conversation back to the 2016 Cadets. Which is the topic at hand

2. The reality on the field had to do with a lot of things. You are taking the score and saying it is proof the Cadets were dirty. The Cadet GUARD was dirty - and it really hurt their overall scores.

And please leave your demeaning "the borg" insults out of things. Really beneath the discussion of a youth activity.

Crown had a great season - celebrate that!

• Like 1

Disagreed. Cadets marched extremely well last year. Dirt wasn't "all of a sudden" exposed with the uniform change. What did change was the visual-spatial cues of a multi colored uniform that suddenly became a monotone dark uniform, Peripheral vision cues became very different way to late in the season resulting in spacing and form issues. Take a top guard and put them in sombreros the last week if the season and let's watch the drops, and timing issues that result.

Disagree .

Members learned the show and mostly performed the show in tshirts in shorts. But we didn't see dramatic differences when they put on the maroons. In fact I'd say that uniform design focused attention on the lower body.

OTOH when they went to the black what did you see? Extremely high contrast white against against a black background. The *show* didn't suddenly change -- that would make no sense. What change was a spectator's ability to focus on specific parts of the members performance. It went from spotlight on the lower body to spotlight on interval and upper body control. Period.

Sure there was an adjustment period for members. But it did't suddenly create all those errors (which btw did persist to the end of the season). It just wasn't the same show anymore. They didn't suddenly get dirtier - we just (involuntarily) changed our focus.

And your sombrero example is ridiculous. The parallel case for a guard is a dramatic uniform switch. Have we ever seen that before? (yes) Did we suddenly see drops when that occurred? (No) A sombrero physically obstructs vision. Color change does not.

Some of you people should simply move on from what happened. The Cadets put on an amazing show in two nice uniforms last year. Tin-foil theory crafting why a show did poorly is useless. Show was judged,opinions were scored and they received the box's opinion, move on.

2016 will be another exhilarating season that I look forward to seeing develop as the days go by.

• Like 1

Your missing 1. my point & 2. the "on the field reality"

1. My point in the discussion was to switch the conversation back to the 2016 Cadets. Which is the topic at hand

2. The reality on the field had to do with a lot of things. You are taking the score and saying it is proof the Cadets were dirty. The Cadet GUARD was dirty - and it really hurt their overall scores.

And please leave your demeaning "the borg" insults out of things. Really beneath the discussion of a youth activity.

Crown had a great season - celebrate that!

My observation has nothing to do with scores. Just based on my perceptions after viewing the show a lot of times over season and being there for the switch.

And who was it that brought Crown into this? Yeah you did. You got very defensive and had to throw mud. Which is why the borg term enters into it. That's what the collective does. Spits on everyone but god's gift to drum corps, the cadets.

My comment was ON TOPIC. The thread was talking about uniform changes and mentioned the black might come back.

What upset you was the very idea that there could be dirt in a Cadets show in August. And clearly -- extremely clearly -- there was. You don't want to hear it but literally everyone saw it.

Quite frankly i was shocked by it. I expected them to look shorter and far less effective (both of which were true). I *didn't* expect to see interval and body alignment errors everywhere.

Edited by corpsband

My observation has nothing to do with scores. Just based on my perceptions after viewing the show a lot of times over season and being there for the switch.

And who was it that brought Crown into this? Yeah you did. You got very defensive and had to throw mud. Which why the borg term enters into it. That's what the collective does. Spits on everyone but god's gift to drum corps, the cadets.

Wait a second. I need to clarify something. God's gift to drum corps is the Madison Scouts. Thank you. Carry on.

• Like 1

Wait a second. I need to clarify something. God's gift to drum corps is the Madison Scouts. Thank you. Carry on.

Kirk-and-NOMAD-e1343327979930.jpg

<nomad> Error. Error. Error </nomad> You WILL be assimilated.

and i'm sorry for mixing TOS and TNG

Edited by corpsband