Cadets 2016

Tobias

You just spent the first two blocks of text saying you guys aren't as fixated on scores and then proceed to give a biased assessment of SCV to show just how much you guys are fixated on scores (from everyone else I've talked to about Annapolis, they said SCV had a pretty strong run. I was actually there along with a former Cadet and both of us agreed that SCV is currently a step up from the Cadets right now).

Look, it's fine to be paying close attention to scores, most of us get caught up in all of it too. But the point is that "bad design" is all relative. Calling Boston's show one of the worst designed shows of the decade is hyperbole to the max.

"Bad design" isn't "relative". The sheets, in conjunction with the principles of art and elements of design, are fully the for all to see. Like I posted to GD, the colorguard design for the last two years has been lacking. How can I make such a claim? By understanding the GE and colorguard sheets in the activity, as well as being a teacher of the principles of art and elements of design. There are objective (albeit somewhat and sometimes fuzzy) standards by which we judge performance. If there wasn't the top twelve could never be determined.

Boston's show is not great this year. Cadets cologuard is their weak link, and it is affecting many of their potentially positive moments from a GE perspective. Those statements are based on what the criteria of the sheets say. You are free to call it my opinion.

• Like 1

You are missing the point entirely.

I am not questioning the work ethic of the kids, nor am I saying that they should throw their hands up and give up.

For two years running, their design team has let the kids down. The colorguard was badly staged last year, and it is even worse this year. Musically, the corps is marvelous. Visually, the colorguard is a serious weak link, and that is not based upon their skill set. They can spin and dance their a#### off. The "adults" are the let down in this year's' programming.

Watch the show with an objective eye; you will see that the guard is their problematic component. Their programming makes no sense whatsoever, and no amount of cleaning is going to make it better. At this point, it is what it is (as much as I hate to use that phrase), and it will be a large reason as to why the Cadets finish in fifth or sixth at finals. It could have been better, but that component of the staff did not fulfill their responsibilities in giving the members the best chance to maximize the show.

I don't disagree with the obvious design issues. The show now is much improved. The changes set them back. It is what it is.

"Bad design" isn't "relative". The sheets, in conjunction with the principles of art and elements of design, are fully the for all to see. Like I posted to GD, the colorguard design for the last two years has been lacking. How can I make such a claim? By understanding the GE and colorguard sheets in the activity, as well as being a teacher of the principles of art and elements of design. There are objective (albeit somewhat and sometimes fuzzy) standards by which we judge performance. If there wasn't the top twelve could never be determined.

Boston's show is not great this year. Cadets cologuard is their weak link, and it is affecting many of their potentially positive moments from a GE perspective. Those statements are based on what the criteria of the sheets say. You are free to call it my opinion.

Well, it depends on the way you are talking about the design. If you're defining design by how it is competitively, then yes, Boston's show wasn't very good (though again not one of the worst designed shows of the decade like George thinks). But people don't always see things in terms of numbers.

Many people would argue that BD 2010 was bad design even though it placed 1st. Design is how you define it.

• Like 2

Well, it depends on the way you are talking about the design. If you're defining design by how it is competitively, then yes, Boston's show wasn't very good (though again not one of the worst designed shows of the decade like George thinks). But people don't always see things in terms of numbers.

Many people would argue that BD 2010 was bad design even though it placed 1st. Design is how you define it.

It is my opinion. You saying I'm wrong doesn't make your opinion right.

What matters is what Boston thought. They literally fired their entire design team after that season. That should be a hint. Lol

I don't disagree with the obvious design issues. The show now is much improved. The changes set them back. It is what it is.

Yes, and it sucks for the kids who are busting their tails to get a flawed design correct.

Look, I'm a former BD member and staff member, so I'm a bit of a homer (well, more than a bit). But, I have always liked the Cadets, so much so that I own the CD of the Blue Devils and Cadets "Championship Years" that they co-produced. I think the activity is better when two of the oldest corps in the activity are vying for the championship (sorry, Bluecoats and Crown fans...you have still yet to earn your due). It is also why I like to see SCV and Cavies in the mix. I think the activity is better when the Cadets are at full throttle and giving all the other corps a run for their money.

That is why I am disappointed with their use of the colorguard over the last two years. While I am first and foremost a trumpet player (I started in third grade, and I am forty four now), I spent the majority of my twenty years in the activity teaching colorguard. Again, I love them musically (how do you go wrong with The Pines Of Rome?!?), but am frustrated that the colorguard has been a problem for two years running that hasn't been addressed.

• Like 1

Cadets gained some major ground tonight! Took that gap of over 1 point between them and SCV and it is now down to .55!

Keep it up Cadets!

Watch the show with an objective eye; you will see that the guard is their problematic component. Their programming makes no sense whatsoever, and no amount of cleaning is going to make it better. At this point, it is what it is (as much as I hate to use that phrase), and it will be a large reason as to why the Cadets finish in fifth or sixth at finals. It could have been better, but that component of the staff did not fulfill their responsibilities in giving the members the best chance to maximize the show.

Not trying to be a slang term describing male genitalia or challenge you but do you ever think that maybe Cadets show this season is a little too deep for some spectators to understand, including the judges? I mean, judges have their perceptions and opinions too and unfortunately I do think that there are some personal feelings that get in the way of the outcome of a judged show. Look I'll be honest, I don't understand HALF of what some corps are trying to portray on the field year in and year out. Maybe I'm not that deep, I don't know. Call it what you want but this year....I actually get what the design team was going after and I credit that to the performance of the members. Is it a flawless design like some other corps that I'm not particularly fond of? Not in the least. Are there perhaps some elements that are lacking? Abso-freakin-lutely. Yes, clean clean clean would be a major step in the right direction but as far as portraying a story and/or idea, I think that Cadets have done that pretty well this year but hasn't been very well received by the judging community Whether or not the public/judges get it is one thing but to say that the design of this year was essentially a complete flop.....I respectfully disagree. I don't see their guard as a problematic component. They are so much stronger this year and really add to the effect of telling/portraying the story of the show and I think are staged (and I hate using that word) pretty well compared to recent previous years. Saying that no amount of cleaning is going to make it better is completely asinine to me. Name me ONE world champion corps that was dirty at finals? Besides MAYBE Cadets 2000 and to be honest, we only know that because of what the MMs have said about the performance of finals that night and I think that Tekk and ChaddyT can attest to that.

• Like 1

Yes, and it sucks for the kids who are busting their tails to get a flawed design correct.

Look, I'm a former BD member and staff member, so I'm a bit of a homer (well, more than a bit). But, I have always liked the Cadets, so much so that I own the CD of the Blue Devils and Cadets "Championship Years" that they co-produced. I think the activity is better when two of the oldest corps in the activity are vying for the championship (sorry, Bluecoats and Crown fans...you have still yet to earn your due). It is also why I like to see SCV and Cavies in the mix. I think the activity is better when the Cadets are at full throttle and giving all the other corps a run for their money.

That is why I am disappointed with their use of the colorguard over the last two years. While I am first and foremost a trumpet player (I started in third grade, and I am forty four now), I spent the majority of my twenty years in the activity teaching colorguard. Again, I love them musically (how do you go wrong with The Pines Of Rome?!?), but am frustrated that the colorguard has been a problem for two years running that hasn't been addressed.

Cadets will sort it out. I agree. BD and Cadets at their best is very good for the activity as an artform.

• Like 1

Cadets gained some major ground tonight! Took that gap of over 1 point between them and SCV and it is now down to .55!

Keep it up Cadets!

Yup. Now they've got some pep in their step. Tomorrow they will flatten the turf at their rehearsal site. Double blocks!