Cadets 2016

Tobias

I'm a little confused about the comments on Cadets' guard too. I don't really know much about guard but they looked pretty fantastic live in Annapolis and they were dealing with some nasty wind going through the stadium.

Cappy, we all consider ourselves independent thinkers BUT the reality is, we're ll influenced by scores. The guard struggled all season along with the rest of the corps BUT the reality is:

1. Most of the design flaws been corrected. (50% of the show has been rewritten).

2. Guard is probably the best is several years now that they're cleaning up nicely.

3. Brass and percussion are very strong and probably held back due to drill and music rewrites so hopefully can move up now that they're in cleaning mode..

We'll see.,

So after final seeing the show live last night, I was more than a little confused by the ending. I had no idea why the stone statue ends up in a fight with the newly human character. To me it seemed forced and not really in keeping with the majestic music. While I understand the concept of the awakening, I would think it more effective if the stone statue somehow breaks out of the stone to join the "awakened" individuals. Somehow that would seem more positive than just beating someone down. It just seemed too forced and more than a little confusing. But, on the whole, while I recognize the flaws in the program and some obvious marching issues (uncharacteristically so), I really do not think it was not the hot mess that everyone thinks. And, I actually think that it has the chance to pass Vanguard. But we shall see!

• Like 1

One question I have is why does the violinist end as a statue at the end? Seems like she never awakens like the rest of them.

I wish they'd give that marvelous young woman more to play, esp at the end. I think she could really contribute to the music at the end of the show, and she'd then be 'human' as well.

• Like 1

So after final seeing the show live last night, I was more than a little confused by the ending. I had no idea why the stone statue ends up in a fight with the newly human character. To me it seemed forced and not really in keeping with the majestic music. While I understand the concept of the awakening, I would think it more effective if the stone statue somehow breaks out of the stone to join the "awakened" individuals. Somehow that would seem more positive than just beating someone down. It just seemed too forced and more than a little confusing. But, on the whole, while I recognize the flaws in the program and some obvious marching issues (uncharacteristically so), I really do not think it was not the hot mess that everyone thinks. And, I actually think that it has the chance to pass Vanguard. But we shall see!

Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea. I think the thought was that the human guy was trying to fight becoming a stone again. I'm not 100% sure though.

You obviously were not there. The 92 cavaliers were NOT dirty. It is frankly ridiculous that you also listed Star 91. You need to stop basing things on old YouTube videos and realize a lot of us were around that entire season in person. I was on the 91 and 92 tours all summer. Those were not dirty corps.

Don't worry about Cappy, he wasn't born for that time period.

Oh gosh. You lost me when you brought up the dreadful Boston animal farm production. One of the worst designed programs on this decade. And some of that staff infiltrated and has already been cast off by the Cadets this season and now they've had to spend the past month fixing all the bad drill, guard staging and ineffective clarity of design. The "story" such that it is, is now very clear on the field. And more importantly, the program is selling better on a surface level of good drill and clean movement with great music. Boston lacked all 3.

By "infiltrated" here, you mean "hired by the corps director", right?

You were defending those hires a couple hundred pages back. What changed?

Don't worry about Cappy, he wasn't born for that time period.

Sometimes I wonder why I still bother with DCP when it just turns into old fans invalidating the opinions of younger ones.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why I still bother with DCP when it just turns into old fans invalidating the opinions of younger ones.

Nah...

There are a lot of other younger people who contribute here. If DCP was made up entirely of older people the moderators would have to open another sub-forum titled "Yelling at Clouds."

• Like 4

Because it also has its share of young fans touting the emperor's new clothes, which the old farts "just don't get" or are "too uneducated" to appreciate.