Troopers 2016

This strikes me as a reasonable assessment. Troop brass already is top 12, just a notch above Crossmen in 2015, and the drums just a tick behind them -- essentially tied with Crossmen across the music captions. Had Troopers received a semis MA score that was more in line with their musical caption scores (judges couldn't make up their minds about Troop in 2015, ranking them anywhere from 10th to 16th in MA through the season), they likely would have finished among the top 12 in overall music.

The caption where Troop needs to make the most movement is visual. GE was 11th place in 2015, ahead of Xmen and BS, and that was with a visual score that was 14th. Given the amount of leverage visual has across the sheet, a push in visual achievement is likely to pay dividends. And that is exactly where the corps administration has devoted most of its attention this offseason.

We'll get a better read on retention at the upcoming camp. With a show title like "Hero," I'm expecting a big emphasis on the brass sound in 2016.

There was only one other thing on the field all season long that could have been evaluated in MA. Live by the vocals, die by the vocals.

All of your assumptions are based on the XMEN or Blue Stars staying stagnant. The XMEN just had record numbers with a guard that could be one of their best ever. Also it seems that the same hype comes out of Troopers every year. Just wait and see how it all shakes out.

Not assuming anyone stays stagnant, just starting with MarkC's observations and adding my own perspective. And you need to use some point of comparison, anyway, else we'd all be talking about whether Mandarins will challenge BD for the Sanford trophy this year. Makes sense to start with the most recent valid comparisons.

The "same hype" comes from every corps, every year, including reports of record numbers of guard at Xmen auditions. Good for them. As someone once said, let's see how it all shakes out.

I need a break from the rules discussion. I note that this week, DCI and the illustrious Mr. Boo have put the spotlight on the 2011 Troopers, the year of the "infinity chord."

There's not really a connection to the 2016 Troopers, though the depth and thoughtfulness of Boo's discussion about the 2011 edition makes me wonder if something as compelling and interesting could be in store this year. It's a different design team today, of course, but 2011 had a bit of a cerebral quality, and a type of sound, that was hard to describe. It was a departure from the "Wanted" Train Show they had done the year before and the Troopers edition of West Side Story the year before that. I wonder if the 2016 "Hero" (sorry, "Hero." Hero, dot) show will be yet another pivot for the corps. 2011 reminded me that this corps has always been willing explore new territory, despite the reputation it has for staying close to an old-West persona. We should get an idea in a few days.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

It was a departure from the Train Show they had done the year before and the Troopers edition of West Side Story the year before that.

I hate to correct you on your very well-stated point, but the "train show" was done in 2012, the year after "The Road Home." They did "Wanted" in 2010.

I hate to correct you on your very well-stated point, but the "train show" was done in 2012, the year after "The Road Home." They did "Wanted" in 2010.

2012 was "This Was the Future," the steampunk show.

But you're correct, the 2010 show was "Wanted," not the "Iron Horse Express," aka The Train Show. I had the posters transposed in my memory!

Some photos from the Troopers' Twitter feed this weekend at camp.

There were more tuba players than horns available, so some players broke out the Sousaphones:

troop%20tubas.jpg?raw=1

Low brass in this room . . .

troop%20low%20brass.jpg?raw=1

Mellos in this room . . .

troop%20mellos.jpg?raw=1

. . . and the snares in what must be the largest HS band room in the nation:

troop%20snares.jpg?raw=1

You can follow the happenings via Twitter @CasperTroopers and on Instagram via thecaspertroopers.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3