Troopers 2016

With the caveat that I'm just a fan looking from the outside, Troop had painted themselves into a corner, brand-wise. I get both sides of the argument.

On one hand, the only way to break with tradition is to ... well, break with tradition, you know? Sometimes you just have to rip the band aid off. Sounds like what Fred and crew are doing this year.

On the other hand, I think saying the Western genre is tapped out is not at all an accurate statement - there is plenty of room for creative, new and interesting shows that still resonate with the Troopers mythology. Heck, in concept that Steampunk show should have been absolutely revolutionary for them, though it didn't translate to increased scores in practice. (I submit they didn't go far *enough* with the concept.)

Anyways, scores may in fact be the ultimate decider. If Troopers suddenly become a Finalist corps, the pushback will be quite diminished. But if they stay in that 13-15 range, they might find it harder going with alumni and fans.

Mike

• Like 2

With the caveat that I'm just a fan looking from the outside, Troop had painted themselves into a corner, brand-wise. I get both sides of the argument.

On one hand, the only way to break with tradition is to ... well, break with tradition, you know? Sometimes you just have to rip the band aid off. Sounds like what Fred and crew are doing this year.

On the other hand, I think saying the Western genre is tapped out is not at all an accurate statement - there is plenty of room for creative, new and interesting shows that still resonate with the Troopers mythology. Heck, in concept that Steampunk show should have been absolutely revolutionary for them, though it didn't translate to increased scores in practice. (I submit they didn't go far *enough* with the concept.)

Anyways, scores may in fact be the ultimate decider. If Troopers suddenly become a Finalist corps, the pushback will be quite diminished. But if they stay in that 13-15 range, they might find it harder going with alumni and fans.

Mike

And why, pray tell, should it be any different for them than almost every other corps? While the Troopers are, in the minds of many, legendary, they aren't immune to a fickleness of fandom which most corps in this placement range have to go through from time to time. I love Troop...it was my first DC love, and remains so today. BUT...I'm also willing to defer to minds greater, far wiser, and more experienced than mine. I simply hope they kick everlasting butt in 2016.

Edited by HornTeacher

Sleeves. EEK. If the sleeves are longer and the gold trim doesn't look so costumey I won't mind them so much.

If I'm being honest I'm really disappointed they dropped the ones they just bad for these. They were modern but distinctly Troopers. These if they don't change much, I can see how that might be a hard pill to swallow. :/ Crossing my fingers they make some adjustments and they come across better in person.

Regardless, can't wait to see the show any less!

http://drumandbugleband.tumblr.com/post/141419414311/the-troopers-posted-this-sketch-of-their-new

Here's the new uniform idea! It's on tumblr but don't complain haha

Granted it's just a drawing/rendering, but If it resembles that in the long run I think it's going to be hard to like.

I love the Troopers, always have, but between the drawing, and how preachy the show could potentially be, I'm not thinking this will put their trajectory in an upward motion.

Some of the commentary is interesting and for some hypocritical, knowing the history of the corps they support.

I'm sure before the decision on the uniforms was made there was a discussion on the controversy that would occur as a result. Yet the decision was made to move in this direction.

Troopers can continue to be a corps that everyone likes in which every summer people hope they make top 12. How many predictions put them in the final placement at best?

Or, they can shake things up and get noticed beyond prior limitations. Sometimes a change gets you noticed far beyond what you expected.

Congratulations to the Troopers for shaking things up.

• Like 1