Troopers 2016

Stop the presses... Guardling and me agree on all points. Even the coffee smells better today. ITS A NEW DAY !! Well, until tomorrow when I probably will want Guardling scorched by the heat of a thousand suns. ( haha!) But till then, there is a ceasefire and a detente.

Maybe there is still hope for the Middle East after all....

And you might try going with "the fleas of a thousand diseased (deceased??) camels." it worked pretty well for Carnac the Magnificent.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 4

Like the new uniform or don't, that's your personal choice. As for me, I think it is fine. Looks a whole lot more like Troopers than the uniform of, say, 2012. And everything else is worth it for those hats. They are fantastic. And, like every other corps does whenever it introduces a new uniform, I'm sure the Troop staff will be making the nips and tucks and tweaks necessary to make the look as effective as possible.

But the idea that Jim Jones would be revulsed is silly. Several reasons.

He was a lover of theater, of Broadway, and talked about it to the corps members. He knew well the necessities of showmanship and of giving the audience what it wants. He did not shy away from innovation; he embraced it. He would be the first to make sure the corps presented itself in a way that took full advantage of the current state of the activity.

He was thoroughly modern. Anyone who visited the Jones house in Casper could see that right away; it was a testament to innovation. He helped blow up the old VFW/AL model. This was not a man who feared change.

Before he ran a drum corps, he ran a business. He understood salesmanship. He understood marketing. He understood the value of connecting a Casper corps to Wyoming imagery. He created the corps during the heyday of the Western. He knew the Troopers image would play well across the state and across the country. He capitalized on that.

Jones did not create the Casper Troopers to be a living museum piece to Caspar Collins and the 11th Ohio Cavalry. Like anyone else, he appreciated history, but he was not a sentimentalist or a nostalgist. He did not create the Troopers to give audiences warm fuzzies about the Old West. He created the Troopers to give young people an opportunity to pursue personal excellence through an activity that teaches, like no other, the lesson of reward through hard work. To achieve that mission, the Troopers have no choice but to organize their program in a way that takes full advantage of DCI's reward system as it currently exists, and Jim Jones would have been the first to understand that.

It is my understanding that there is a recording of an interview with Jones in which he said words to the effect of... although the name Troopers was to pay homage to the 11th Ohio Cavalry, who were stationed near Casper sometime in the 1860's, he took the inspiration for the uniforms from what he was seeing on the TV and in movies at the time. That's right, Hollywood costumes. Not true representations of any cavalry uniforms. Most historical photos of the time show foragee (Kepi) hats, not cowboy hats. Short of those same movies and TV shows, you won't find many historical references to yellow scarves either. (That's right Larry Storch, I'm looking at you).

Over the weekend, as predicted, many alumni and supporters claimed their dismay at the decision and how dare they disrespect the past and the ties to the 11th. When it should be Ken Barry who should be upset and Forrest Tucker who should be rolling over in his grave.

It would appear that the current Troopers administration fully understand their responsibilities. They could have gone the way of many other corps in the past (and nearly did), or they can attempt to compete at the highest level in the activity as it exists today. I never met Mr. Jones but have spoken to many who have and this includes many of the current Troopers administration. All have said that Mr. Jones would have supported that the Troopers, 60 years later, still existed... Hollywood costumes not withstanding.

As for me? I'll wait to see it on the field. After all, the only opinion of this uniform selection that truly will matter in less than a month will be the judging community.

• Like 2

As for me? I'll wait to see it on the field. After all, the only opinion of this uniform selection that truly will matter in less than a month will be the judging community.

Bingo. I might only edit this to "...the only competitive opinion of this uniform...". Other than that, Daave, I think you hit the bulls-eye.

It is my understanding that there is a recording of an interview with Jones in which he said words to the effect of... although the name Troopers was to pay homage to the 11th Ohio Cavalry, who were stationed near Casper sometime in the 1860's, he took the inspiration for the uniforms from what he was seeing on the TV and in movies at the time. That's right, Hollywood costumes. Not true representations of any cavalry uniforms.

Over the weekend, as predicted, many alumni and supporters claimed their dismay at the decision and how dare they disrespect the past and the ties to the 11th.

Well..., there appears to be some very real confusion within the Troopers organization and its alum base at the moment as to why Jim Jones selected the original uniforms for the Troopers. While Wikfi is not always a good place to find true answers on things, it would be the responsibility of the Troopers organization to correct any misinformation and / or half information that has been allowed to be posted on there for over a decade now, regarding the Troopers uniform, and how and why it was chosen by Jim Jones, the Founder of The Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps.

Wikfi currently posts this information there... ( quote ).... " The Troopers are often called " America's Corps ", due at least in part to their US Calvary inspired uniforms "..... also.... " Jones decided to name the new Corps " The Troopers " to honor the 11th Ohio Calvary, a US Army Unit stationed at Fort Caspar, Wyoming Territory, to protect supply trains during the Indian Wars of the 19th Century "

What is unambiguous from one's reading of this is that the name as well as the uniform was " US Calvary inspired". There is NO.... repeat NO..... mention of " Hollywood inspired " in ANY of this. The word " costume ", or " Hollywood " is not utilized at all in connection to Jim Jones. if the uniform ( or " costume " if you prefer ), was actually " Hollywood inspired "it would seem that someone in The Troopers Organization should be in touch with Wikfi so that anyone that reads up on the Troopers there will understand that a real " US Calvary Unit "was not the actual and true inspiration for Jim for the uniform of the Troopers, but instead was some sort of as yet unidentified " Hollywood costume" that Jim Jones saw on an also as yet unidentified "Hollywood produced TV or Movie " show that he apparently came across, if this is what you want us all to believe here today.

Edited by BRASSO

The guard costume is outstanding in that video. :huh2:

Yep... some work to do there. LOL

Well..., there appears to be some very real confusion within the Troopers organization and its alum base at the moment as to why Jim Jones selected the original uniforms for the Troopers. While Wikfi is not always a good place to find true answers on things, it would be the responsibility of the Troopers organization to correct any misinformation and / or half information that has been allowed to be posted on there for over a decade now, regarding the Troopers uniform, and how and why it was chosen by Jim Jones, the Founder of The Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps.

Wikfi currently posts this information there... ( quote ).... " The Troopers are often called " America's Corps ", due at least in part to their US Calvary inspired uniforms "..... also.... " Jones decided to name the new Corps " The Troopers " to honor the 11th Ohio Calvary, a US Army Unit stationed at Fort Caspar, Wyoming Territory, to protect supply trains during the Indian Wars of the 19th Century "

What is unambiguous from one's reading of this is that the name as well as the uniform was " US Calvary inspired". There is NO.... repeat NO..... mention of " Hollywood inspired " in ANY of this. The word " costume ", or " Hollywood " is not utilized at all in connection to Jim Jones. if the uniform ( or " costume " if you prefer ), was actually " Hollywood inspired "it would seem that someone in The Troopers Organization should be in touch with Wikfi so that anyone that reads up on the Troopers there will understand that a real " US Calvary Unit "was not the actual and true inspiration for Jim for the uniform of the Troopers, but instead was some sort of as yet unidentified " Hollywood costume" that Jim Jones saw on an also as yet unidentified "Hollywood produced TV or Movie " show that he apparently came across, if this is what you want us all to believe here today.

Okay, now why did they switch to the iconic F-Troop style uniform in the late 1960s?

Okay, now why did they switch to the iconic F-Troop style uniform in the late 1960s?

I know know. The Troopers Wiki does not tell us about ANY of the uniform changes. It only tells us why Troopers Founder Jim Jones selected his Corps uniform, ie his " Calvary Unit inspired " one. That was the one I replied above to when daave brought it up. Wiki makes no mention there of the Uniform changes since Jim selected his " Calvary Unit inspired " one.

Members voting for the new uniforms is probably a bad idea.

Why ?

They pay for the privilege. They are the ones that utilize it in competition. Lots of Corps before have allowed their MM's to vote on the proposed new uniform styles and colors the Corps will wear in competition. So what harm would it have been for the Corps Mgt. to allow its Troopers MM's a vote ?

Like the new uniform or don't, that's your personal choice. As for me, I think it is fine. Looks a whole lot more like Troopers than the uniform of, say, 2012. And everything else is worth it for those hats. They are fantastic. And, like every other corps does whenever it introduces a new uniform, I'm sure the Troop staff will be making the nips and tucks and tweaks necessary to make the look as effective as possible.

But the idea that Jim Jones would be revulsed is silly. Several reasons.

He was a lover of theater, of Broadway, and talked about it to the corps members. He knew well the necessities of showmanship and of giving the audience what it wants. He did not shy away from innovation; he embraced it. He would be the first to make sure the corps presented itself in a way that took full advantage of the current state of the activity.

He was thoroughly modern. Anyone who visited the Jones house in Casper could see that right away; it was a testament to innovation. He helped blow up the old VFW/AL model. This was not a man who feared change.

Before he ran a drum corps, he ran a business. He understood salesmanship. He understood marketing. He understood the value of connecting a Casper corps to Wyoming imagery. He created the corps during the heyday of the Western. He knew the Troopers image would play well across the state and across the country. He capitalized on that.

Jones did not create the Casper Troopers to be a living museum piece to Caspar Collins and the 11th Ohio Cavalry. Like anyone else, he appreciated history, but he was not a sentimentalist or a nostalgist. He did not create the Troopers to give audiences warm fuzzies about the Old West. He created the Troopers to give young people an opportunity to pursue personal excellence through an activity that teaches, like no other, the lesson of reward through hard work. To achieve that mission, the Troopers have no choice but to organize their program in a way that takes full advantage of DCI's reward system as it currently exists, and Jim Jones would have been the first to understand that.

Awesome post. I'll buy you a beer for it if you're near Baltimore.

The more I look at these, the more they grow on me. I think many forget that if you took Star, or Crown, or Blue Knights, or anyone else who gets a uniform revamp, off the field and out of context, they will likely look a little odd. Phantom when they switched to Khaki for a period of time, Surf when they decided to pay tribute to the Bridgemen. etc etc etc (that's not really parade worthy either)

But I'm going to guess that when it's all in context, it'll make sense, and look awesome. But the people ready to throw eggs just need to stop. Change is the only constant in drum corps. Those who embrace it succeed, those who fight it tend to fall behind.