Troopers 2016

I think the staff will regret the lower stomach cut away of the white jackets, even with the brown belt edition. No two persons have similar hip structure, muscle layering, and body kinetics in that region. What might seem modern and sexxy in the designer's studio will only be a field judge's neon light for fazing, poor deportment, and sloppy marching, exactly what Jim Jones and Gino sought to avoid in developing the legacy of the Troopers.

. Change is the only constant in drum corps. Those who embrace it succeed, those who fight it tend to fall behind.

I fail to see how the people that like the Triooers new uniform like it only because it represents successful change, and those who right now are either unsure of it, or do not care for it, represents supporting a " falling behind " outcome for the Troopers. Such a comment is silly to me. 99% of Corps change uniform styles and colors ALL the time.... and have since the beginnings of Drum Corps itself, including the DCI era. There is no coorelation at all between uniform choices, uniform changes, and the success or failure of the Corps. Its just plain silly to believe a uniform style change, or a colors change, has any effect whatsoever on the success or failure of ANY corps.... Troopers included. Some of the most progressive Drum Corps in uniform changes over the last 30 years are no longer with us. They folded. Did they fold because they " embraced change " in their uniform styles, choices, and colors, etc ? Of course not. Its would be ridiculous to believe that frequent " progressive " uniform choices, styles, had anything at all to do with their success or failures in competition, ...nor for their ultimate demise either.

Edited by BRASSO

Sometimes to start change within is to change the clothes you wear. Could this be something that puts them in the top 12? maybe. maybe not. But if it works with the show concept, and helps update the design process for the corps which in turn, puts them another notch up the food chain, it can't hurt.

New clothes can always help one's mojo.

As is the case with any uniform, for any corps, on any level, from any era... when I see it on the field, I'll figure out then if it works for me.

For me, it would be nice to see the Troopers back in the top 12 on a more consistent basis. An iconic corps.

• Like 1

Sometimes to start change within is to change the clothes you wear. Could this be something that puts them in the top 12? maybe. maybe not. But if it works with the show concept, and helps update the design process for the corps which in turn, puts them another notch up the food chain, it can't hurt.

New clothes can always help one's mojo.

Perhaps. But " mojo " in uniform choices, in the long run, has had no bearing on the success or failure of any Corps, imo. For example, The Cadets had their uniform and colors for over 80 years. They won Titles in the pre DCI years with it. They also later placed 19th in DCI with it. They almost folded with it in the DCI years. But they stayed the course, and they then won multiple DCI Titles and many additional DCI medals with that same uniform and colors. None of those outcomes however had anything at all to do with this wonderful iconic uniform and colors, imo

Edited by BRASSO

ok. great for them.

But perhaps this organization needed a revamp. You don't like it. That's ok. You don't have to. But their organization has a concept for this years edition of the Troopers. I can't wait to see it all on the field and support those performing it.

• Like 1

ok. great for them.

But perhaps this organization needed a revamp. You don't like it. That's ok. You don't have to.

Oh, brother. I can see why so many people that used to be here a lot, no longer post on DCP. Their comments on here are turned upside down and thats regrettable. For example, I stated quite clearly above on this very thread that ( quote ) " I'm ok with the new look of the Troopers ".

Edited by BRASSO

But you respond like you are opposed to this change.

Why ?

They pay for the privilege. They are the ones that utilize it in competition. Lots of Corps before have allowed their MM's to vote on the proposed new uniform styles and colors the Corps will wear in competition. So what harm would it have been for the Corps Mgt. to allow its Troopers MM's a vote ?

I guess I'm not willing to abandon the designers...unless they make an obvious mistake.

Personally, the front scallop/skirt is the big mistake; it will be visible from the field.

LOL the front scallop looks like medieval armor. All that's missing is the cod piece.

Why ?

They pay for the privilege. They are the ones that utilize it in competition. Lots of Corps before have allowed their MM's to vote on the proposed new uniform styles and colors the Corps will wear in competition. So what harm would it have been for the Corps Mgt. to allow its Troopers MM's a vote ?

Oh Boy we slipped already...lol,...jk

IMO voting is a disaster . In my early years I did that sort of thing with groups I taught. NEVER has that approach ever worked imo, feelings hurt. sides taken, no concept on what works verses whats trendy. I can see presenting it to the new members although in todays drum corps world that decision would have to be made by last years members because this years is not set early or in time to order new uniforms.

My perspective is members pay for instruction, experience, direction etc etc not to do this themselves. Everyone has their own job, I have almost never seen it work when it crosses over.

Im sure at some point it worked for a few, maybe more but I have never seen it be successful. For me I left that theory behind decades ago. jmo

AS for Troopers , I have said I love the rendering BUT renderings usually never look the same when they arrive or on real bodies . With that said I applaud the willingness to change or explore. If it works, and I hope it does GREAT. If not , so what , change something on it, Corps do it all the time.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1