Cadets2 2016

• 4 weeks later...

Championships are won in January, Dan. The Buccaneers know that, the Blue Devils know that, and I'm pretty sure the Cadets have some experience in that area as well. A DCA corps with the resources of a DCI corps? Yea, this is what the longtime DCA corps dream of (even if they won't admit it).

I may each one of their competitors, but I'm going to enjoy seeing what C2 is able to do this year.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this one. While early success makes things easier, championships are most definitely NOT won in January. Case in point, Blue Devils went out with holes in the drum corps for first tour in '82...went undefeated. Many other examples out there of corps that started slowly but finished well. The consistent winners are the ones that know how to make adjustments and finish strong. Not saying everyone wouldn't love to have 60 All State players at every camp through the winter in their horn line as well as a full drum line that has drummed together for the last 4 years and a color guard full of Onyx quality members. Sure...we all would, but the people that end up on the top of the heap are those that can work with what they have, write effectively and make adjustments as needed on the fly. My humble opinion of course but I have seen it year after year.

Dan

• Like 1

in the old days it was easier to do it as you describe. However, in the last 15 years, those still scrambling in January have found less success in August and September, especially in the DCA realm

• Like 1

I concur. You set your corps up for success with more design and planning completed earlier. Show design, music choices & arrangements, transitions between how each piece molds into another, and extraneous gak such as prop design, and elex samples being done early can only get your corps ahead of everyone else so you're not left scrambling over these details in june. That way you're refining as the summer goes and not teaching.

• Like 1

I concur. You set your corps up for success with more design and planning completed earlier. Show design, music choices & arrangements, transitions between how each piece molds into another, and extraneous gak such as prop design, and elex samples being done early can only get your corps ahead of everyone else so you're not left scrambling over these details in june. That way you're refining as the summer goes and not teaching.

A successful organization's staff is always teaching---right to the very last moment before the very first moment of the final performance of a season; or they aren't worth their salt.

• Like 4

A successful organization's staff is always teaching---right to the very last moment before the very first moment of the final performance of a season; or they aren't worth their salt.

I remember Zingali observing previous corps in prelims and semis, then racing in the tunnel to advise a MM to "adjust" an angle, etc. due to how surface was responding, how lights and sun were reflecting, how the sound was echoing given the more full stadium seating, etc. The show is never static and is always morphing into something more.

I guess I typed that incorrectly. I meant the use of the word "teaching" as in the members learning new elements from scratch. you shouldn't be creating new stuff, transitions, movements...etc in june. but thanks for jumping on my words like that. with the high level of talent pool today, i hesitate to think you're really teaching them new ideas, but instead refining their knowledge to match your style of ensemble performance.

in the old days it was easier to do it as you describe. However, in the last 15 years, those still scrambling in January have found less success in August and September, especially in the DCA realm

What Jeff said.

My last year with Sunrisers.. 1982... we had a rough winter (at least our horn line did.... we had a spring drill rehearsal with maybe 22 horns there), then were a little over six points behind the Westshoremen at the first show on Memorial Day weekend. We gradually closed the gap and ended up winning the DCA title. Worked our butts off to do so, not only to top 'Shore but to get and stay ahead of Caballeros, Skyliners, Hurricanes, and Buccaneers.

Today, if you start out six points down, it's a lot tougher if not impossible to catch up, especially in terms of winning a championship, for a variety of reasons. You gotta come out gunning from the get-go.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

>>I remember Zingali observing previous corps in prelims and semis, then racing in the tunnel to advise a MM to "adjust" an angle, etc. due to how surface was responding, how lights and sun were reflecting, how the sound was echoing given the more full stadium seating, etc. The show is never static and is always morphing into something more.<<

Waaaayyyy back in 1971, Bobby Hoffman made a drill change in the OTL for the Skyliners between prelims and finals ... some people questioned his motivation, since we had won prelims and didn't want to upset the applecart ... when asked why, Bobby explained: "The judges are expecting this particular move at this particular point in the drill ... when they get into position to "hit" it, it won't be there ... plus, by making the change, it makes the guys "think" about what they're doing rather than just going through the motions" ... we won finals ... and the judge WAS in position ... pencil raised ... and then came his dumbfounded look .

:-)

• Like 2