Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

i caught the last half. some good stuff. now, i probably wouldn't pay to watch it, but I'll watch if the opportunity arises. I got to judge 25 great bands in a regional circuit, lots of good stuff there too. I saw more ideas coming from recent DCI or WGI shows than what I've seen in BOA the last few years

Compared to other experiences of Grand Nationals, I found the show designs not as intricate nor complex, particularly visual. U Mass and Ohio State had greater depth than some finalists.

BOA the last few years has leaned heavily toward the musical effect, particularly with woodwinds and other non-brass instrumentation.

Still a nice few days of entertainment and enthusiasm from some very dedicated teenagers and staffs.

Probably showing my age and choice of cars but just sounds like a big ol' wizzing contest to me of who is more complex, better designed, etc, etc...... Thing is being better and more complex does not always translate to more entertaining for the crowd. Especially for non-music major knuckle draggers like myself who can be entertained by a less than successful corps if the show is done right.

As for the car comment used to drive a Saturn (remember them?). Saturn started out by building cars than people actually wanted and most manufacturers were not making like my standard size Station Wagon. Then Saturn decided they better make cars like everyone was making and got lost in the rush...... D'OH!

Just a hunch but if you asked some of the folks that design for both DCI and HS Band, I have a sense of what they would say about how their designs

I do agree that a well-designed show means designed to the performers you have so it’s not out of bounds, I just don’t see it as a Pure GE sort of thing

Complex - a word that has a definition, but can be applied different;y I guess. Meaning, what seems complex to me, may not be complex to you (generally "you", not a specific you). Example - in my opinion, the first 3ish minutes of that show, the members moved within a 5-10 yard area from their original starting spot. (with a few exceptions of course). That does not seem complex to me.

Just my opinion though....

• Like 1

i caught the last half. some good stuff. now, i probably wouldn't pay to watch it, but I'll watch if the opportunity arises. I got to judge 25 great bands in a regional circuit, lots of good stuff there too. I saw more ideas coming from recent DCI or WGI shows than what I've seen in BOA the last few years

One thing I've learned from following BoA a bit over the past two seasons is how much BoA fans look down on other circuits (including, presumably, those where you judge), whose standards and judges are felt by those fans to be seriously lacking in rigor.