Perhaps I'm missing important information, but if Xmen's musical program is entirely original material, how can it be similar to anything?

In the video, Ed Devlin starts his description of this year's show by saying, "The music this year, with the use of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, we're using parts of it, but [Andrew Markworth?, hard to hear] is taking it and creates his own twist on it from beginning to end." To me, this sounds a lot like what SCV is doing, with their use of Spring1 and Winter 1 from Recomposed by Max Richter, which is based on Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

In the video, Ed Devlin starts his description of this year's show by saying, "The music this year, with the use of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, we're using parts of it, but [Andrew Markworth?, hard to hear] is taking it and creates his own twist on it from beginning to end." To me, this sounds a lot like what SCV is doing, with their use of Spring1 and Winter 1 from Recomposed by Max Richter, which is based on Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Did you even listen to what the drill designer said?

Did you even listen to what the drill designer said?

I did ... I watched and listened to the whole video (3:12 is about my attention span), and he elaborated on the notion of Continuum, and I like what he said. Still, the idea that there might be some musical redundancy is what has me a little worried. I hope my worry is for naught, and the way the Vivaldi inspiration of both corps' repertoire is handled uniquely.

I have to admit, my reaction to this video is similar to their show announcement..."meh". Not that anyone on the Crossmen staff would ever or should ever give two shakes about what I or any other DCP posters say. You keep doing your thing, guys, and have a great season.

I like that the brass book doesn't appear to be ENTIRELY an original Markworth composition, that's a good thing. Yes, I get that the music & drill will be tied together in an organic way now because of the original composition but....isn't that the goal anyway, for every corps? And in regards to Mike Hardiek's comments explaining the theme..."continuous drill moves that feed into each other, continuous themes that you see recurring, and ... continual visual motifs that the individual has to carry throughout the show"...isn't that the goal of the visual design of EVERY corps this year? Thematic consistency in their visual package and cohesive, flowing drill to match?

I will still be pleasantly surprised and will happily eat all of the crow if this turns out to be a home run of a show. And, I will readily admit that I'm basing my preseason notions of this show on the relatively little info that Crossmen have released about it. And I acknowledge that they appear to have a corps with unprecedented talent, returning members, and some hefty new staff additions. But, I still maintain that at first glance, this largely-original music book with a generic theme has the potential to fall flat, especially when all other corps in their competitive neighborhood seem to be stepping up their design game, as well as using rich source material with plenty of musical depth.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 2

I did ... I watched and listened to the whole video (3:12 is about my attention span), and he elaborated on the notion of Continuum, and I like what he said. Still, the idea that there might be some musical redundancy is what has me a a little worried. I hope my worry is for naught, and the way the Vivaldi inspiration of both corps' repertoire is handled uniquely.

SCV style and Crossmen style have never been similar.

I will still be pleasantly surprised and will happily eat all of the crow if this turns out to be a home run of a show.

For the record, this is my sentiment as well. Best of luck, Bones!

Except for Overture To A New Era, Russian Christmas Music, Jupiter, Mars.........just a few

Crossmen plays Russian in 1977, 78, 82, 83, 07,

SCV plays it in 1987, 05, 06. And suddenly it's a SCV song?

Overture to a new Era was played by Crossmen 75 &76. It wasn't played by SCV until 1977, 78

In fact, 14 Jr. Corps have played Russian from 75-2015.

• Like 2