Hearing damage in corps - serious problem or overblown?

we keep a box of them at rehearsal for when horn players want to use them if we are in the gym with the percussion. it takes a bit for them to get used to playing with them in. I have a few pairs I keep in my case. most, if not all, of our battery wears them consistently.

i know that some of mine is damaged from years of playing in big bands (trombone... often referred to as "trumpet" ear) or onstage gigs in bands.

in large venues i don't wear them, but in small venues I do. just too much reverb in those clubs.

Edited by C.Holland

Huh?

Smart-A

In addition to "drummer's ear" I also inherited my father's otosclerosis, for which I had surgery a decade ago (a stapedechtomy).

It bugs the crap out of me when I ask someone to speak up because of my bad ears and their response is "Huh?". I want to reply "My hearing will be fixed if I get a hearing aid, but you'll still be stupid (oh and ugly, too) after that."

But I never do. I'm too nice, they say.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

As someone who never wore earplugs through junior high, high school, and half of college I can definitely attest to it being an issue if you're stupid like me. My left ear is noticeably worse than my right and has a distinct ringing that appears every so often (the pitch of which I think is an A). That was the side that was always facing the snareline on bass in the lot/warming up and I can tell. My professor finally pushed me into the Vic Firth High Fidelity earplugs (which are FANTASTIC) since I was moved to snare this year. Haven't gotten tested, but I can definitely tell. WEAR PROTECTION! :ninja:

Edited by DrumManTx

Smart-A

In addition to "drummer's ear" I also inherited my father's otosclerosis, for which I had surgery a decade ago (a stapedechtomy).

I bugs the crap out of me when I ask someone to speak up because of my bad ears and their response is "Huh?". I want to reply "My hearing will be fixed if I get a hearing aid, but you'll still be stupid (oh and ugly, too) after that."

But I never do. I'm too nice, they say.

Just shows you we are all different. I'm legally deaf in my right ear - and I think "huh" is hysterical and frankly the whole thing doesn't bother me in the least

Hearing is like a limited asset, the more you use it - the less you have remaining. JMO

Edited by George Dixon

I have a definite problem, not so much attributed to DC I believe, as much as it stems from ear bud type headphones and loud R&R concerts. I do remember several drum instructors having problems with hearing which to me is understandable since the proximity to drum sound when they were teaching was extremely close and very often in confined areas. My hearing problem is tinnitus. it is irrepairable & worsens every year. I do regret not being smarter about headphones and ear protection. Such a simple fix

Just shows you we are all different. I'm legally deaf in my right ear - and I think "huh" is hysterical and frankly the whole thing doesn't bother me in the least

Hearing is like a limited asset, the more you use it - the less you have remaining. JMO

Yea, I know. It wasn't necessarily personal. It does, however, demonstrate the importance of hearing to me, now that I have so much less of it. And, specifically, because of my love of music. And I think, imagine being deaf and watching a drum corps show, versus being blind and listening to a drum corps show.

I appreciate the visual, but I need the audible.

I'd bet you're not far from that view either. I don't think many of us here are. But I'd rather be blind than deaf.

And stupid jokes are stupid mostly because the jokester thinks they are the first to say it, not because it wasn't once funny.

But only if you use it when cranked to 11 like we did BITD with Walkmen and headphones. Or playing in practice rooms like closets, three snares to a room.

I absolutely wear ear plugs now because I was stupid then. The _Kid has never not worn plugs.