2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

update email from DCI this afternoon.

Not great news, not terrible. But, at least nice to have some communication on the matter.

To be honest, I'm thinking more about selling my DCI DVD collection than adding to it. It seems like everything now is such a long pulling-teeth process that I'm losing interest. Too bad - my collection was expensive and pretty good.

The collection is sitting on a shelf and it's been a long time since I watched anything. I often think that someone else would appreciate it more than I do.

There used to be a time when the thought of getting a new DVD was exciting, but it hasn't happened for a while.

I still don't understand why you'd punish yourself by selling your great collection because you perceive DCI's processes more like pulling teeth today. Do you no longer enjoy that collection of drum corps because of DCI's ineptitude (in your eyes)?

Eh, no matter.

I appreciate that selling it might allow someone else to enjoy it, and it would be honorable if you're not enjoying it. There seems to be lots of interest from younger generations. And from a business perspective (if that's why you bought the collection) it seems that most all old DCI media will be going up in value for a while; your timing might be pretty good in hindsight.

I can't imagine selling my drum corps media of any form, or the machines I've collected to play it. I have no control over DCI, Tresona, or any corps. But I can watch any and all of those old shows anytime and re-live actually being there, as I smile ear to ear. I'm not done sucking the joy out of my collection to ever give it up.

Personally, and I can speak for the _Kid and several other fans and MM's we know, we can't wait to get the 2015's. It's one more notch on my totem pole they can never take away if I've got it in my hand.

Me? Excited? Like a schoolboy.

At a certain time, they’ll lose some interest perhaps sales, they really need to get it out before this season, I’d think by April

Might be best to drop the corps with issues and swap in some non-finalist corps that are easier to license – I could see this as policy, corps that want to make the video, need to pick cheap music to licenses…corps that want ‘artistic’ freedom….you may be dropped from all media

might be an incentive for some of the non-finalist corps and a disincentive for corps to use Charlie Brown samples as part of their ‘artistic’ vision...could result in a second video if enough corps want the exposure

I'm sorry to say that this is likely done and gone. Christmas was always the big season. We waited with baited-breath ($1 to someone in the 990's thread) in hopes that they'd arrive by Christmas morning. Now, well, indoor, school, WGI, auditions for next year, camps, school, spring break....

Somewhere in there, a precious few will think about ordering their 2015 media.

Wait, "drop the corps"? Do a "Here are a few 2015 performances" DVD? Not bad.

Might even consider using it as a threat, too. I like it.

But what if some or many of those corps are your "biggest draw" that will (they say) boost the selling price of the media? What if you can't charge enough to cover production costs because the "draw" corps flip licensing the bird?

I wish I were there this weekend but that likely means that they don't care that I like it. :tounge2:

Will DCI be next? This is sad....

After months of negotiations, DCA is disappointed to announce that the 2015 audio and visual products will not be produced. Licensing and releases to allow us to create our audio and visual products have not been approved by several copyright holders and publishers. We apologize for this turn of events, the result of which has been truly out of our control.

We will be processing refunds for 2015 audio/video products that were ordered and paid for within the next 2 weeks. Please be patient with us as we work through this challenging turn of events.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at lois@dcacorps.org

The "copyright holders and publishers" did not refuse DCA's request for rights. They refused to sell them at the price offered. The whole reason why copyright exists is to create the marketplace traction necessary to buy and sell intellectual property. DCA's inability to secure those rights is a matter of money only. It may be expensive, but it also is always within the buyer's control.

Unless the publishers have some kind of pride-of-authorship revulsion to drum corps and consider DCA an insult to their creations, this was a matter of cash, not pride.

• Like 2

The corps control what music they decide to play. Choose what's acceptable.

They may be able to do so moving forward, but the whole video mess blew up late in 2014, well after many corps had decided on their 2015 programs, and for many many months after that, given what we were hearing from DCI, they probably thought that the problem would be resolved and so didn't switch to public domain material. It seems that 2015 at least may be a "lost" season to the future.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Does anyone know what happened to BOA's DVDs? Did they meet the same fate?

Thx!

If you are talking about 2014 BOA DVD's, I think they are still trying to get them out to customers and negotiating with publishers. I don't think they have halted or canceled the possibility of getting them out. However, I am doubting that they will ever go out, and I don't think Mr. Video will be selling past BOA seasons anymore unless all this mess changes for the better, which I don't think it will.

The "copyright holders and publishers" did not refuse DCA's request for rights. They refused to sell them at the price offered. The whole reason why copyright exists is to create the marketplace traction necessary to buy and sell intellectual property. DCA's inability to secure those rights is a matter of money only. It may be expensive, but it also is always within the buyer's control.

Unless the publishers have some kind of pride-of-authorship revulsion to drum corps and consider DCA an insult to their creations, this was a matter of cash, not pride.

Actually, copyright holders can and do deny requests for any kind of rights, arranging and synchronization most commonly. Some do so out of hand, and some do go so far as to requre the arrangement/video be submitted for approval/disapproval.

It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be.