A Very candid interview with Dan Acheson

Who runs/sets the rules in BOA?

In DCI some of the corps set the rules so you're saying that people who have "demonstrated stupid" in their designs would be expected to implement rules that would cut down in their design choices. Bottom line what is more important to the people running the corps, freedom of design or having 100% of said show on a recording for purchase?

And what is the music business as per DCI? Is it focused towards what is done on the field or what can be recorded/sold later?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In DCI some of the corps set the rules so you're saying that people who have "demonstrated stupid" in their designs would be expected to implement rules that would cut down in their design choices. Bottom line what is more important to the people running the corps, freedom of design or having 100% of said show on a recording for purchase?

And what is the music business as per DCI? Is it focused towards what is done on the field or what can be recorded/sold later?

Good questions.

Yes, some designers have demonstrated "stupid". Others have not. Hopefully, their collective intelligence will result in wiser choices than their recent individual decisions. And if not, then I hope that the higher voting powers (corps directors), and the people they hire to run their business (DCI), will provide the guiding wisdom.

To your other questions (both regarding freedom of design vs. ability to show it on video), that may become the crux of a debate. It would not be the first time the DCI community has debated the pros and cons of something that could have damaging financial implications to DCI business, or create another case of haves vs. have-nots. DCI often adopts rules or policies to limit such things (i.e. pyrotechnics, equipment that can damage fields, music without performance rights). In the legal environment where DCI hopes to continue operating, a musical "no-play" list is a logical business tool. Since corps are not required to obtain synch rights, it logically must be DCI who keeps track of music whose synch rights are prohibitively expensive or unobtainable.

My own common sense tells me that in our modern society of technological advances and viral videos, it is self-defeating to pursue the few design choices that can never go viral when there are so many others that present no such licensing issues. I cannot count how many people I know of who could not be dragged to a drum corps show until they heard it on recordings or saw video. Then they did not have to be dragged. Some even paid for the privilege. The value of recorded media, therefore, is far greater than its own sale price... it also spawns new customers and future marchers. Provided we can legally put it on video, that is.

BOA has employed the "no-play" list method for participating bands. Are they stupid, impractical and ridiculous? Hundreds of scholastic bands gladly play the game according to BOA policies.What I find stupid, impractical and ridiculous would be for DCI to adopt no policies regarding rights for synchronization, streaming or sampling. Corps have already demonstrated "stupid" in their apparent ignorance of rights implications when making design choices.

BOA's list is for arranging and performing rights, not syncs rights. Huge difference. It's also not absolute, but rather a warning based on past experience. I've known bands that have secured arranging and performing rights for music on that list. It just may be more expensive, or take longer in many cases.

Edited by Kamarag

My own common sense tells me that in our modern society of technological advances and viral videos, it is self-defeating to pursue the few design choices that can never go viral when there are so many others that present no such licensing issues. I cannot count how many people I know of who could not be dragged to a drum corps show until they heard it on recordings or saw video. Then they did not have to be dragged. Some even paid for the privilege. The value of recorded media, therefore, is far greater than its own sale price... it also spawns new customers and future marchers. Provided we can legally put it on video, that is.

I would add that the complaints that designers might make about such a policy limiting their options arguably demonstrate their own lack of creativity. Of the millions of musical works they might choose from, a good portion are in the public domain, and for a good portion of those which are not, the sync rights will nonetheless be obtainable. If the rules were changed to require that sync rights be acquired in advance, then a a designer who claimed to be unable to design a quality show without access to the small minority of music for which rights will be unavailable would be in the same boat today as a designer who claimed to be unable to design a quality show unless it was less than 10 minutes in length or unless the corps had more than 150 members.

• Like 1

BOA's list is for arranging and performing rights, not syncs rights. Huge difference. It's also not absolute, but rather a warning based on past experience. I've known bands that have secured arranging and performing rights for music on that list. It just may be more expensive, or take longer in many cases.

Not that simple. I have seen BOA list songs solely due to synch rights issues, not just arrange/perform issues. And there is more to it than just a warning - bands now must sign a waiver acknowledging that BOA may mute portions of their show which BOA "determines to be outside the parameters for which it may obtain synchronization licensing".

However, the "no-play list" policy was (as I described) past tense. Current BOA policies are different.

Interesting question, Jim. I'd never really thought about it from this angle. Are you also inferring (in a closet way, of course) that there lies a certain degree of conflict of interest (at least from often-argued standpoint that "The Corps" (meaning all) ARE DCI? And in a strange way (or at least to some extent)...are the inmates running the asylum?

Edited by HornTeacher

Interesting question, Jim. I'd never really thought about it from this angle. Are you also inferring (in a closet way, of course) that there lies a certain degree of conflict of interest (at least from often-argued standpoint that "The Corps" (meaning all) ARE DCI? And in a strange way (or at least to some extent)...are the inmates running the asylum?

They arent running the asylum...They ( WE) ARE the Asylum :peek: lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Always was a conflict on interest at times HT be it DCA, DCI or any other corps group. Comes down to "This would be good for the circuit but could hurt my corps" so which way do I go?

They arent running the asylum...They ( WE) ARE the Asylum :peek: lol

So...does one seek asylum from one's self??

• Like 1