Show Concepts For Consideration - 2016

I still think you're trolling us.

I spent time in the 1970's marching in drum corps and moving in winter guard. At the same time I was exposed to many genres of art. I remember studying Existentialism in English class and watched live performances of Waiting for Godot 3 times which is not a good theme for drum corps. I saw a Restoration Theatre play once and it was a delightful form of parody where one can laugh at oneself or themselves. Channel3 has some interesting statements 'Even in Because, they avoided humor, even though the entire piece was based on witty, absurd philosophical whimsy.' The act of the guard disappearing behind mirrors was whimsy! To be honest, drum corps and winter guard helped me escape from the every day decades ago. Music and movement on a football field is crazy good now. Winter guard is more exposed, expressive, emotive, like watching King Lear at Stratford Festival many moons ago. Drum Corps is fast, high, wow, character, story but because of the venue it cannot be emotive. It's all about the music and the music is good.

This gets funnier every time you post it. Especially now that we're in the hundreds, I think. [Yawn.]

No. What's funny is that you either think we gaf or you believe the drivel you type. I think. Either way the game is fun for those of us playing. I think.

• Like 1

While "Vest La Giubba" has been performed by Bridgemen, Phantom and Kilties, I'm thinking that a show based on the double bill of "Cavaleria Rusticana" and "I Pagliacci" has potential. The music is powerful and emotional, the stories are straightforward, and the emotional impact has the potential to be amazing.

Edited by Tim K

...or just a show that has enough of a thematic element to "check the right boxes" of the judges, an more than enough of the f---ing blow the audience's faces off playing to make us want SO MUCH MORE!!!

On another note...I don't know if it has ever been mentioned or discussed, but something that might be fun is to have all corps submit a "classic" show to DCI, and then each corps does a blind draw to see what/who's classic show they have to put their own spin on for the season. Could you imagine Crown getting Phantom's "Spartacus," or BD getting SCV's "Fiddler on the Roof," or "Phantom of the Opera." Could be interesting!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

We watched Grease Live tonight. Aside from a few sound glitches, was amazed and entertained. This show, being done live, made me think of drum corps and how a show of this nature could be done. The music, signing, choreography, etc. Wow! This would be a fun drum corps show!

That 70's Show - Greatest hits of 1970's Drum Corps. Snares have to be on slings, and all instruments must be carried (except for grounding marching tymps for the concert number). At least 1/2 horn line must be on v/r G bugles, the rest can use 2-piston. Guard will be required to incorporate the complete Manual of Arms in their performance. Honor Guard required, and all Flag Code regulations must be met.

I know this will never happen, but one can dream

• Like 2