2016 Uniform Thread

You will still know Madison when they come on in look and sound!!

Thank God. I hope they never stray too far from last year's uniform. It can still be called a uniform.

You will still know Madison when they come on in look and sound!!

Madison is very much the old boy's corps still. They're not exactly the most progressive when it comes to show design and uniform style.

Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. I'm glad that they're adding diversity to the sea of glitter, baggy sleeves, and mismatched pants

• Like 1

Is there beginning to be more diversity in today's drum corps styling attire ? or is there beginning to be less diversity in today's drum corps styling attire ? When some people tell us that they like diversity with things, how much more variety and diversity is found here with this current styling we are looking at today, compared with BITD uniform styling where we had the wide differences among Corps styling such as that found with the likes of of 27th Lancers, Velvet Knights, Muchachos, Kilties, Les Chatelaines, Freelancers, Crossmen, Bridgemen, SCV, Blue Stars, Troopers, Cavaliers, Guardsmen, Boston, Dutch Boy, etc ?...... say what we will about all these BITD uniform stylings ( good, bad, or indifferent ), but there was HUGE attire diversity, imo, to be found among these Corps attire back then. Today, it appears just a couple of people ( with one in particular )have lots of influence in the current designs, and more and more of it is increasingly beginning to look more and more alike among the various Corps now. Now, thats just MY opinion, of course. Perhaps others here see MORE diversity among the DCI units now, than the diversity found in the DCI attire of back in the day. And they are entitled to that opinion too... of course.

Less diversity for sure imo. I just don't understand why the corps now has to look like the guard.

I actually prefer these to the multi-layered, mismatched sleeve/pant/shoe/glove that other groups are sporting. Like I said earlier, there's no accounting for taste.

But really, these costumes are getting ridiculous. Who would ever dress like this? Not a Renaissance poet-musician-lover-gentleman; not an 18th century soldier; not a Port Royale buccaneer... Maybe a member of the Swiss Guard? Or an Olympic figure skater? Is that what we have become? Embarrassing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you do realize that all of the reference points you have there would require (wait for it) A COSTUME to be worn.

There's a reason why the person who designs the clothing for operas set in all those time periods is called "a costume designer." 27th, the Kilts, Troopers - anyone who wore a replica (or a dumbed down or exaggerated version) of an historical piece of clothing was wearing costumes.

Drum corps has always worn costumes. We just chose to think they were cool - the exact same way the current members feel about what they're wearing.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5

Let's just hope the only change the Bluecoats make is a sash change. IMO, their uniforms are one of the best in DCI History. I'd flip out if they change.

• Like 2

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you DO realize that all of the reference points you have there would require (wait for it) A COSTUME to be worn.

There's a reason why the person who designs the clothing for operas set in all those time periods is called "a costume designer." 27th, the Kilts, Troopers - anyone who wore a replica (or a dumbed down or exaggerated version) of an historical piece of clothing was wearing costumes.

Drum corps has always worn costumes. We just chose to think they were cool - the exact same way the current members feel about what they're wearing.

Sure... Actors on stage wear costumes... Got it... Thanks. My point is that those costumes are, to use your word, "replicas" of actual clothing. Find a historical example of someone wearing mismatched sleeves, pants, or shoes... Or a huge face on their back... Or a newsprint shirt. If you can do that, you are likely to find a person who would be seen as an outlier. Not that there's anything wrong with being seen as an outlier, but it is what it is. And by the way, you don't have to agree with me... It's okay. But my opinion is that these costumes are ridiculous and absurd. Maybe I'm an outlier?

• Like 1

Show us YOUR designs, then.

Easy to #####, ####, and moan about it;...

Many people review and critique video games. Are they expected to be able to make an even better video game?

I drew what I think should've been the Phantom uniform:

https://imgur.com/a/PTRTj

It's got elements from many past Phantom uniforms, such as the black sash from 2003-'06, the design on the chest from '09 (this wasn't that big of an addition), and so forth.

(Keep in mind it's not that good. I did this in less than an hour)

Edited by DawsonBurnes
  • Like 1