2016 Uniform Thread

I see your point, I just like knowing who it is when they enter the stadium, but change is necessary to move forward.

I agree with you. I think it is possible to modernize without completely losing a corps' identity. BAC and Bluecoats have done a pretty good job of that in my opinion.

I see your point, I just like knowing who it is when they enter the stadium, but change is necessary to move forward.

I love Cadets' black uniform. You can still identify them as the Cadets, can you not? It's still the same West point style uniform. I think modernization is necessary but things aren't black and white. You don't have to go all the way to the other extreme. Make sense?

I do not necessarily agree. How much of an impact does changing the uniform make? I have to admit I am a little uneducated in reference to some of the judging sheets so I honestly do not know how much of an effect the corps' proper uniform has on a show.

I drew what I think should've been the Phantom uniform:

https://imgur.com/a/PTRTj

It's got elements from many past Phantom uniforms, such as the black sash from 2003-'06, the design on the chest from '09 (this wasn't that big of an addition), and so forth.

(Keep in mind it's not that good. I did this in less than an hour)

You basically drew their 1993-1994 uniforms.

Drum corps has always worn costumes. We just chose to think they were cool - the exact same way the current members feel about what they're wearing.

I don't know about this. I certainly don't recall most people back in the day thinking that all the Corps costuming was " cool " at all. There was lots of diversity of opinions on them ( same as today in this respect anyway ). Choose any Corps from BITD... any Corps. Some gushed how much they loved the costume, others were non chalent about ithat costume, and others hated it in no uncertain terms. But is there more diversity in costuming among the Corps of today, or less diversity, compared to BITD ? I submit, increasingly the uniforms are beginning to have less diversity in styles than ever before. Now, if thats true, it means the marchers of today, like that their costuming is increasingly beginning to resemble everybody else's, more and more. Which I believe is fine, but it is sort of ironic then when we hear in other quarters that these modern day Corps are "offering much more diversity in costuming". They are ? If they are, I'm not seeing any increase in such diversity among the Corps, that they are apparently seeing.... or alternatively, they were not around for BITD to have seen the vast diversity of costuming present back then, to compare it with.

Edited by BRASSO

You basically drew their 1993-1994 uniforms.

That's the point. Keeping the old uniforms in mind while moving forward. I got the opportunity to sit and discuss DCI with David Warren, and he said (before the season started) that the new show would be distinctly Phantom while pushing forward to the future. This is what I tried to accomplish with the uniform

The Cavaliers used to wear shakos (prior to 197?).

The Crossmen also experimented with shakos (1995).

The Blue Devils had years of gray and black, no blue (late 1980s).

Phantom Regiment, known for red and black, has worn light blue... TWICE (1992, 2007).

Santa Clara Vanguard, known for red and green, wore black, yellow, and bronze uniforms that I still think are some of the best in DCI history (1993).

Then a few years later SCV took the field in aqua and copper (1996).

Let's all take a deep breath and acknowledge that shaking up the uniform establishment is by no means a new idea.

• Like 1

Crown is definitely up there for me. Especially the guard costuming.

I agree definitely fantastic!!!