Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

Until DCI begins hiring professional marching member and pays them year 'round, it's going to be difficult to have much drum corps activity during the off season. Lets not forget that the product on the field is in school preparing for their real lives after drum corps.

Until DCI begins hiring professional marching member and pays them year 'round, it's going to be difficult to have much drum corps activity during the off season. Lets not forget that the product on the field is in school preparing for their real lives after drum corps.

Your second sentence is true, of course, and is the singular reason why DCI should have a robust social plan in the off-season.

And you're right about DCI needing someone to do it (see my earlier posts about why this doesn't happen); there's a TON of media available to promote in the off-season.

DCI just partnered with WGI for some WGIe which looks like a snare solo contest (yawn). DCI does need to step out of the way and allow their related circuits to take the spot light seeing as it’s a crosspollination of staff and members. And my impression is that DCI is represented at those events with an info booth and selling stuff, also at some music ed stuff doing more outreach. Not that I care about WGI or BOA but I get it as a Cow, not as a fan

Anything DCI would promote off season would have to be supplied by corps so the corps might as well just do it own their own but I don’t think Corps should have to spend those resources doing it. Most the stuff corps put out ends up posted on DCP anyway….where’s the DCP active media update page?

I don’t see much to be gained with a DCI off season blitz…could step on many toes that they need later

Apparently not very tight, since the mythological dead guy woke up two days later and moved the big rock himself.

" 2 days later " ? You must've been half asleep or not paying much attention when the story was first told to you. ( haha!)

I get it, and I don't disagree with your premise about year-round contact. But I'll also push back that Hop is somehow "at least" unique in your suggestion. You could have added or substituted the others I know you know "get it", too, like BD, Crown, 'Coats, heck, Boston, Colts, Academy, Pacific Crest...

Hopkins has been among the most vocal against promoting "the activity" with "his" DCI ticket revenue while BD has done the most to promote it, IMO.

"At least Dave gets it." Do you sense how unbalanced that claim is?

You're reading way more into my post than what I actually wrote or intended. I didn't mean to infer nor did I post that only Hopkins gets it. As far as resource distribution you do realize that BD is flush with cash, and has been for decades, don't you. Only when Star was around were they challenged in the wallet department. Cadets are doing much better now than before, say, 2005... So sometimes folks don't mentally migrate philosophically on philanthropy as one might thing. When reference Hop I was mainly referring to his outreach via social media such as periscope. That's all. Nothing more.

Frankly I don't think anyone involved in DCI really gets my full approach, possible exception is Bob Jacobs. JMO

Who's suggesting anything like that?

You're reading way more into my post than what I actually wrote or intended. I didn't mean to infer nor did I post that only Hopkins gets it. As far as resource distribution you do realize that BD is flush with cash, and has been for decades, don't you. Only when Star was around were they challenged in the wallet department. Cadets are doing much better now than before, say, 2005... So sometimes folks don't mentally migrate philosophically on philanthropy as one might thing. When reference Hop I was mainly referring to his outreach via social media such as periscope. That's all. Nothing more.

Frankly I don't think anyone involved in DCI really gets my full approach, possible exception is Bob Jacobs. JMO

No, George, I'm reading exactly as you posted. You said "At least Hopkins gets it". You didn't say "some", you didn't say "several" or "many", you said Hopkins. I read into your post exactly what you wrote. "At least..." as if no other, in literal translation. I know you're a fan of the arts as are many here, but your Cadets love (or Hop love, as it were) shows up on your sleeves frequently.

I'm certainly aware of the finances of the corps and of Cadets' profligacy, as much as I am of the BD expenses incurred in defending their primary revenue source, and as I am of several other corps' financial situations.

"So sometimes folks don't mentally migrate philosophically on philanthropy as one might thing."

I have no idea what that means or what I'm supposed to "mentally migrate" from your comments.

I appreciate your kudos to Hop on his social outreach; I wonder what BD's global outreach is worth in your book?

Not that it's all that important. It's only band, we all have our favorites, and you only need look as far as my screen name to see mine. I just like to spread the love all around if I can, and I like to encourage others to do so as well.

Edited by garfield

I completely agree that the DCI "off season" marketing and outreach needs and deserves massive change

when you abandon your "client" for effectively 9 months straight (September through May) you can expect high attrition

DCI (and the individual corps) should do MUCH MORE off season programming and content to keep folks engaged year round

live "webcast" events with live-feed reports from various camps

an April "convention" with the marketplace, a few teaching/design seminar break out sessions and 3 or 4 ATTENDING DRUM CORPS to play stand still previews of their upcoming shows - plus some guest "speakers" including alumni who've made it big, activity HOF inductions etc...

a theater event in mid-winter with a "championship series" type broadcast. Play a series of championship shows (maybe 6 years or so) with in-between interviews from corps directors, alumni, design/teaching teams, broadcast in theater and online at same time

a non-live DCI finals simulcast (theater/online) that runs again through the top 6 or so with additional content and analysis / color commentary & interviews - plus a couple "behind the scenes"

You simply MUST keep "the customer" engaged year round. It helps retention big time

when I originally developed DCP we had a vision more like this - with diaries, an off season convention, awards season "DCP Awards", original content from camps etc

A lot of push back from the "powers that be" on that vision... Sigh.

Extremely DUMB

At least Hopkins gets it.

I wonder if you know that Hop was one of the primary leaders of the opinion that DCI should not be offering this type of fan service at all (and there were others among his peers).

It appears to me, anyway that, in Hop's view, he is the center of the universe and all opinion disparate from his are flawed.

Or, in his words, "I would never belong to an organization that I didn't control."

If there's truth in the adage that you can't change the stripes on a zebra, it would be best, IMO, to keep his words in mind when suggesting his promotion of the activity above himself.

Edited by garfield

" 2 days later " ? You must've been half asleep or not paying much attention when the story was first told to you. ( haha!)

"On the third day" means two days. In the myth, he dies on Friday afternoon (day 1) and wakes up Sunday (day 3). That's two days. Likely a bit less than 48 hours.

You, my friend, must have been sleeping in math class :)

Really?

So, hey, all you marching members: DCP is not a site for you during the off-season!

C'mon. If that's the case, then they can't "enjoy" DCP at all. They don't have time during the season (of which they perform for your enjoyment), and it's not intended for their use during the off-season. That pretty much blocks out the entire year!

while when i get critical i do try to find ways to shows positives, sometimes when asked for your honest opinion, you just cant be. thats when panties get in a wad and people get offended. we've become so easy to offend as a society it's sad.