Blue Devils 2016

Also they were being judged very harshly which is understandable. They had to work twice as hard to get half the credit. Bottom line is who brings it more on finals day? You don't win the stupor

Do tbowl by averaging scores. YOU BRING IT!

Do tell. What's the evidence besides opinion. We non-percussionists wish to know.

Edited by xandandl

DCI judges do not judge harshly, whatever that means. The Blue Devils were judged on the same sheets and in the same manner as Bloo, Crown, SCV, etc. Did they really have to work twice as hard to get "half" the credit? No. These are silly statements and have no truth to them. Comments like this belong in fantasy land. I doubt the judges were saying "you better work harder than everyone else out there or we're going to dump you, because we feel like being unfair to you." What kind of logic is that anyway. DCI judges have awarded them 17 titles. Sounds like they've been plenty fair with BD.

The Blue Devils were fabulous once again and took home the silver medal. No complaining necessary, unless you feel you have to win every year. And scores were not averaged for final placement. The Blue Devils final placement was the result of their scores and caption placements on Finals night. Oh, and I think they brought it. They performed amazingly well. That's why they took 2nd. 2nd place is a good thing, not a bad one.

Silver Medal. Most corps would be envious. The past 2 years were perhaps the most competitive for the top 5 that I've seen in years. The past 10 years for BD...6 Golds, 4 Silvers. Add 2006..Bronze. Incredible.

Edited by afd

Silver Medal. Most corps would be envious. The past 2 years were perhaps the most competitive for the top 5 that I've seen in years. The past 10 years for BD...6 Golds, 4 Silvers. Add 2006..Bronze. Incredible.

Two seasons ago, it took a near perfect score to win the Gold, over a corps that had the most talked about show of that season. I didn't hear Bluecoats complaining that somehow they were judged differently than BD.

This year, it took one of the greatest drum corps shows of all time (certainly from a design standpoint) to win the Gold over a BD show that, in most years, would have won Gold by a half point.

One thing I really respect about BD is that their organization never breathes one syllable of sour grapes when they don't win the Gold. I know it didn't used to be that way, back in the Proverbial day, and I sure hope it never returns. Don't need it, don't want it, and the kids don't deserve it.

• Like 3

Is no one going to acknowledge the fact that BD's drumline was representing team valor and mystic, while the judges were in fact on team INSTINCT and that is the reason for their loss?

Do tell. What's the evidence besides opinion. We non-percussionists wish to know.

That is what they were told by the judges. bring it super super clean and we don't care about the demand because you win too much. playing solid for 3 minutes at a pop is much easier than start and stop and change tempos etc. One of the most prominent instructors told the other instructor they had won drums hands down.

No big deal because Bluecoats and SCV were clean as spit but those words were spoken to them.

• Like 2

That is what they were told by the judges. bring it super super clean and we don't care about the demand because you win too much. playing solid for 3 minutes at a pop is much easier than start and stop and change tempos etc. One of the most prominent instructors told the other instructor they had won drums hands down.

No big deal because Bluecoats and SCV were clean as spit but those words were spoken to them.

Not a member, but can confirm.

I had no idea and to my surprise the trombones BD were using were Bach Stradivarius 42BO Trombones...that is way cool!

I've owned a bunch of different trumpets and tried all kinds of models over the years...but I've always loved the beautiful sound that I could produce with ease from my model 37 Bach Stradivarius silver trumpet..,

I was extremely happy they were using the Bachs. Before Edwards, Shires, ect, came out, those models (of course not silver) were the standard orchestral trombone. I believe Joseph Alessi himself played on one for a while.

As a trombone player, I would be very happy to be in the Blue Devils to be able to play on a quality instrument over the summer.

Nothing against Yamahas, or Jupiter trombones, ect. But they are very different horns. As an orchestral player, if I wasn't on an Edwards, I would be on a Bach 42BO.

+1 for BD on my count

I like and dislike what they been doing lately, likesince last year with the pop music references (ie k pop last year and justin bieber this year.) but i like that last year they had so many styles but this year had no jazz but i appreciate the creativness of the drumline with all the tenor splits but to me they werent really featured when thats really unique so showcase it.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but this is the kind of stuff I'd have to hear to truly believe.