Blue Devils 2016

Heck, if we want to be real honest/legit:

since 1994 (when the modern era of Blue Devils' design began), they've been a TOP 3 corps all but once (2005)! Or they've been Top 2 all but 5 times (meaning 15/21 seasons they've won Gold or Silver medal).

It really is insane how consistently great Blue Devils are

I've always wondered why was 2005 such a "down" year for BD. They came off of an amazing 2004 season with the Cavies. 2nd with a 98.525. That score in most years is 1st. Then 2005. It's like it was a wash considering they were spending most of the season touring Europe.

It really is insane how consistently great Blue Devils are

Well, yes, and no. I don't think its insane to believe that the OTHER Blue Devils.. the Duke Blue Devils would likewise not be in the Final Four most years on a consistent basis, if they too could take any player transfers from any other team each and every off season and in whatever manner they so choose too. Look, nothing against the Concord Blue Devils, as Lord Knows, they do absolutely dominate DCI, and its quite remarkable their 40 year Final Four record, but the rules and the environment are in place in DCI competition for such dominance to possibly occur like this too. As such, BD can be expected to consistently be in the Final Four and so dominate DCI in Championships won over next 40 years like this too, imo. Thats not an insane assessment either, imo. Its a quite realistic and quite sober a future assesment as a matter of fact, it would seem to me.

Edited by BRASSO

The whole mindset of BD isn't to dominate but, rather to make our alumni proud.

It is such a family. Every single time I have gone to a practice there is always someone else who marched previously and we share a kinship.

I can not express how warm it is to go to family day or the local show.

• Like 1

I've always wondered why was 2005 such a "down" year for BD.

Yowza. :tongue:

• Like 1

I've always wondered why was 2005 such a "down" year for BD. They came off of an amazing 2004 season with the Cavies. 2nd with a 98.525. That score in most years is 1st. Then 2005. It's like it was a wash considering they were spending most of the season touring Europe.

maybe because they spent most of the season touring Europe they let some performance stuff go? They were 5th in GE Vis. and 5th in Vis. Performance while being a fairly solid 4th in most other captions. Maybe they just didn't have enough time to clean and/or tweak visual design elements to truly contend for a medal. They were a full point behind Cavaliers in GE Visual, which seems crazy to me! I honestly don't remember a ton about that show other than it was a show that seemed like it would make for a much better 5 minute WGI show vs a 15 minute DCI show (at least IMO): or maybe a show concept that was better in theory/on paper than in practice on the field.

Hard to say; what we do know is that they bounced back: after that season they placed lower than 2nd only once, WINNING more DCI Championships in than 10 season span than not winning!

maybe because they spent most of the season touring Europe they let some performance stuff go? They were 5th in GE Vis. and 5th in Vis. Performance while being a fairly solid 4th in most other captions. Maybe they just didn't have enough time to clean and/or tweak visual design elements to truly contend for a medal. They were a full point behind Cavaliers in GE Visual, which seems crazy to me! I honestly don't remember a ton about that show other than it was a show that seemed like it would make for a much better 5 minute WGI show vs a 15 minute DCI show (at least IMO): or maybe a show concept that was better in theory/on paper than in practice on the field.

Hard to say; what we do know is that they bounced back: after that season they placed lower than 2nd only once, WINNING more DCI Championships in than 10 season span than not winning!

Funny how you say it would make a better WGI show. It was based on James Logan Scholastic World show at WGI. Scott Chandler was also the designer for James Logan back then. Yowza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIMfnzQS7sc

This year is a very important milestone.

45 years since competitive D&BC and 40 years since the first title.

I have seen every single one of those years.