Rocky Point Holiday

Interestingly enough, one of the first pieces originally composed for brass ensemble that was played by a drum & bugle corps may have been

Fanfares For The Coronation Of Queen Elizabeth, which was performed by the 1954 Spirit of St. Louis senior corps. It had been composed for the Royal Trumpeters.

Rocky Point Holiday to this day is one of my favorite Cadets music they have done. I mentioned a few years ago why they don't do this piece again and I think someone said it's because of Leonard Bernstein copyright issues.

Rocky Point was written by Ron Nelson.

Was talking to a friend about Cadets 83' today. We were wondering if Cadets performing Rocky Point Holiday was the first time a DCI corps ever performed a piece of Wind Ensemble literature. and also was Cadets 83' one of the fastest tempos to date that a corps had marched?

Define "Wind Ensemble".

Define "Wind Ensemble".

Wind Ensemble is smaller than your average concert band. There is usually only 1 player per part, as opposed to having a couple per part in your typical concert band. So in wind ensemble you'd probably have 1 first flute, 1 second, ect. as opposed to 2 or 3 firsts, 2 or 3 seconds, ect.

There is not a lot of difference in literature, more in the instrumentation.

Edited by DrumManTx

Wind Ensemble is smaller than your average concert band. There is usually only 1 player per part, as opposed to having a couple per part in your typical concert band. So in wind ensemble you'd probably have 1 first flute, 1 second, ect. as opposed to 2 or 3 firsts, 2 or 3 seconds, ect.

There is not a lot of difference in literature, more in the instrumentation.

It's really not even that. These days the terms (and throw in "symphonic band" for good measure) are interchangeable. I've seen super-small symphonic bands and really large wind ensembles. It's really based on what the group calls itself.

It's really not even that. These days the terms (and throw in "symphonic band" for good measure) are interchangeable. I've seen super-small symphonic bands and really large wind ensembles. It's really based on what the group calls itself.

Yeah, the whole name designation thing has kinda gone out the window. Just going off of what I was taught it traditionally is. Which also changes based on who you talk to and where you are. Edited by DrumManTx

Rocky Point was written by Ron Nelson.

But it is licensed by Hal Leonard under Tresona's umbrella.

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn. I hate Hal Leonard.