DCI Field Pass Podcast 2016 Preview

Since DCI hosts their audio on Soundcloud, it has an rss feed. Just takes a bit of digging to find it sometimes...

Here you go: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:70839483/sounds.rss

And now its a podcast. :-)

You win DCP today. Works great in my podcast app!cast.png

It's not about the fact that it's an audio file. (Or that dci.org website is a dumpster fire, really).

It's the fact that podcast is a word that means something specific. Putting an audio file on the web is not a podcast. A podcast has to have an RSS feed with audio attachments. The entire reason that podcasts exist is so that they are easy to listen to because each episode is downloaded automatically by podcast players, whether that's Apple's Podcast app (the most popular), iTunes, 3rd party apps like Overcast (on iOS), Pocketcasts (on Android), etc.

For several years, that's EXACTLY what FieldPass was. You could subscribe in a podcast player and listen to each new episode when it came out.

When they stopped offering that feed, and just started throwing audio files on websites, it ceased to be a podcast. And, it ceased to be easy for people to listen to easily. That's why it's annoying.

Thank you for expressing what I wanted to say!!!!

It's not about the fact that it's an audio file. (Or that dci.org website is a dumpster fire, really).

It's the fact that podcast is a word that means something specific. Putting an audio file on the web is not a podcast. A podcast has to have an RSS feed with audio attachments. The entire reason that podcasts exist is so that they are easy to listen to because each episode is downloaded automatically by podcast players, whether that's Apple's Podcast app (the most popular), iTunes, 3rd party apps like Overcast (on iOS), Pocketcasts (on Android), etc.

For several years, that's EXACTLY what FieldPass was. You could subscribe in a podcast player and listen to each new episode when it came out.

When they stopped offering that feed, and just started throwing audio files on websites, it ceased to be a podcast. And, it ceased to be easy for people to listen to easily. That's why it's annoying.

I totally agree! I was getting ready for a long car trip out to a camp and learned they weren't offering it as a podcast anymore. It was such a pain in the ### to load it up on a website on my phone.

Can't they do both? Or are they losing ad revenue on iTunes?

I honestly think DCI does not realize that their podcast is not a podcast. The issue began with the introduction of the "new" dci.org website. Since June 2015 my preferred podcast app (Downcast) will pull up the Field Pass podcast but show no episodes available.

It's a shame that Dan Potter is creating excellent content that almost no one is listening to.

Z

It's still not a podcast, and they should quit calling it one.

A podcast has an RSS feed with an audio file attachment that can be downloaded. This is not a hard technology to learn, but apparently DCI can't figure it out.

This is just a (horrible) website with a not very good imbedded audio player, covered in crappy ads that have nothing to do with Drum Corps. (Or, if you're using an AdBlocker, a message about how much better DCI.ORG looks covered in crappy ads.)

Pathetic.

Correct on all fronts!