Technology in Todays Corp...

For the past 18 years I've been a technology consultant. I've seen many types of Technology come and go. I haven't heard much about corps using technology to help them improve their shows. One thing that comes to mind is using tracking devices on the field to fix area's of the drill.

Any thoughts?

Tracking devices to fix drill? I'm not sure you propose to utilize GPS. I think most people would use their eyes. I know I would not be looking at an ipad or screen to see what is happening right in front of me. I would hope techs would use their experience and knowledge to identify problems and remedies. But that's one persons opinion.

For the past 18 years I've been a technology consultant. I've seen many types of Technology come and go. I haven't heard much about corps using technology to help them improve their shows. One thing that comes to mind is using tracking devices on the field to fix area's of the drill.

Any thoughts?

I proposed this in another thread, but to fix drill, you would need about +- 5cm accuracy, and GPS is provides 3.5m accuracy. A better option would be to have a small scale triangulation system, with 3 transmitters on the edge of the field, and using time of flight ranging to determine the position. Then, track the positions on the runthrough and analyze the data for easy presentation, such as "between set 3 and 4, your stepsize for counts 1-3 were too large, and on set 15, you were 3 feet to the right of your dot"

Any thoughts?

Well, this isn't exactly the same thing, but tonight Bluecoats used a drone for overhead views of the corps hitting sets.

One technological advance I keep thinking of that I imagine is possible today would be to build a powerful audio computer system capable of sequencing and outputting individual tracks (a separate track per player) of metronome to an in-ear wireless monitor, each track programmed to account for latency in back to front timing. No matter where on the field a performer is, they would know exactly how to play in sync with any other player. This would open up some amazing visual possibilities. I don't know how reliable or expensive it would be though, but should only become cheaper and better every year.

Wait until you hear BD's sound system! The drum set sounds awesome! they are having six sets of speakers this year.

Is the new sound system better than the one they had in '94?

One technological advance I keep thinking of that I imagine is possible today would be to build a powerful audio computer system capable of sequencing and outputting individual tracks (a separate track per player) of metronome to an in-ear wireless monitor, each track programmed to account for latency in back to front timing. No matter where on the field a performer is, they would know exactly how to play in sync with any other player. This would open up some amazing visual possibilities. I don't know how reliable or expensive it would be though, but should only become cheaper and better every year.

Some high school marching bands do that, but with tempo actuators instead of inear headsets. But for your idea, price on that wouldn't be bad at all. Maybe 60$ per person? Technological issues come from the latency you pointed out, cause you would need to know the position of each member in order to account for front back timing. Also power, it would be a nightmare to have every member remember to charge them. probably a couple other issues that I hunt thought of, but yeah it's feasible.

Interesting idea, but I have concerns with the wireless part. We've all seen issues with wireless mics and the lack of uniform coverage. When they work, it's great; when they don't ....