DCI Live! Broadcast - Monday June 20th Headliners Cadets & Cav

Wow, that was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Nothing but "Drum Corps Sunshine Pumping" by Potter and Acheson.

So sad to see what has become of DCI. The continued descent into deeper depths of "Wretched Excess Nonsensical Ridiculousness" is depressing.

Sorry DCI, "Marching Musical Symphonic Broadway Theater" on a football field isn't my thing. Not interesting. Not enjoyable. Not entertaining to me.

For all those that are enthralled and mesmerized by the current spectacle, please have at it and enjoy yourselves. It's just not something that I'm going to spend my money on any longer, though I'll probably travel 50 miles west to see the Lafayette show in July. That trip, however, will primarily just be an excuse to go get an awesome Hamburger Po-Boy at Deano's. (Which is on the same street as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette football stadium)

Also, so sad to see my all-time favorite historical Corps (Cavaliers) jumping on-board the "Artsy Fartsy" Train. Cavies, what the heck was that? That show I saw tonight will be hard pressed to even make the Top 12. (Didn't like the new Uni's either, but they do fit the current "Modus Operandi" of the organization) They're a rudderless ship that continue to veer farther and farther off course. (Like Spirit of Atlanta)

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it...........

Roar-Dinosaur-003.jpg

• Like 5

I've been lurking as a guest for years. I know how the dcp community is lol. I'm finally bored enough to start participating!

In other news crown and cadets look fantastic, can't wait to see them live in Thursday, and to see what bluecoats bring to the table.

👍😂👍😂

Great response

• Like 1

Honestly I'm very confused how Crown's theme is western music-wise. I get it visually and they have the eagle screeching or whatever it is but musically it sounds like a lot of latin music mixed in with some very technical pieces. And Hallelujah. Maybe someone can explain this to me?

Ecstasy of Gold (the opening piece) is directly from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, by Ennio Morricone.

Mike

Ecstasy of Gold (the opening piece) is directly from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, by Ennio Morricone.

Mike

As is the "Trio" (the 2nd half of the ballad).

And the rest of the music has been arranged to impart a sort of Morricone feeling to various degrees.

OTOH the show is certainly not a traditional take on a western theme.

"Spaghetti" western, should definitely be emphasized. And it totally nails the theme in my opinion. Especially with Roxanne

I really liked the Cavaliers, but I got sort of a funny feeling when they took off their hats (correct term?) for the protest bit. Maybe I'm overthinking it (likely), but it struck me as bizarre that 150 predominantly white and upper middle class males would have all that much to protest on a social level.

This is a great point. I think you illustrated why I have such a hard time connecting to such hollow show themes like these.

"Spaghetti" western

i honestly don't think most people understand what the term even means anymore

it happens with most idioms...they become used so ubiquitously that the etymology behind them gets lost

sergio leone. ennio morricone. these were 2 of the most iconic names in the production of the man with no name series.

here's a link to a bunch more names:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=good%20bad%20and%20the%20ugly%20crew

i honestly don't think most people understand what the term even means anymore

it happens with most idioms...they become used so ubiquitously that the etymology behind them gets lost

sergio leone. ennio morricone. these were 2 of the most iconic names in the production of the man with no name series.

here's a link to a bunch more names:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=good%20bad%20and%20the%20ugly%20crew

Yep including the incredible "Once Upon a Time in the West" Totally different feel from American westerns.

• Like 1

Yep including the incredible "Once Upon a Time in the West" Totally different feel from American westerns.

i thought it was a brilliant idea by the crown staff

the meta for spaghetti westerns is so absurd, it opens a lot of great creative options for them

i hope they're not afraid to take ideas too far. pushing the limits is the only way to go with this, imo

• Like 1