Intrigue In Indy

Upon a second viewing of the Bluecoats show - there are definitely some musical passages that will need some TLC, and I'm not sure about the ending. But the show is fun! I think they'll stay towards or at the top for most of the season.

That can't be the ending for August. That was the only part that made me say "meh". The last couple years they've changed their endings, so I expect the same this year.

That can't be the ending for August. That was the only part that made me say "meh". The last couple years they've changed their endings, so I expect the same this year.

No chance that's the ending. The show as it stands only clocks in at about 10 minutes. There's pretty clearly an ending change planned.

Overreaction much? It's the FIRST show of the season. Bad run throughs are possible. How about we wait a week or two of competition to atleast see what the actual trend is before completely writing off any corps

Not really. People say this same thing, all year, every year. Last year, all I read, all season was how Blue Stars and Boston were going to leave Madison in the dust. It is what it is. It's a discussion board. I'm just stating my opinion, which is Crown and Bluecoats will stay ahead of the Cadets, unless major changes are made. Everyone said last year Crown was 5th at best and look what happened - they made a lot of changes. So, we will see what happens. Relax, my opinion has no impact on your life.

Edited by henry7184

Visually a disaster.

They had to use a metronome during the first ballad. lol

That was a mistake, not intended.

Not really. People say this same thing, all year, every year. Last year, all I read, all season was how Blue Stars and Boston were going to leave Madison in the dust. It is what it is. It's a discussion board. I'm just stating my opinion.

Just because other people say it too doesn't mean it's not an overreaction... What kind of argument is that?

Dude. Please chill. Why do you care what I think anyway?

I'm quite chill, I assure you my BP is just fine :)

Plus, this is only June 23. We have about two more moths left until everything matters.

lunasweetgum.jpg

crecropia-moth.jpg

And done.

• Like 2

Home and will go ahead and throw my 2 pennies in as well...

Boston: Looked great - ballad beautiful - props meh. Have a lot of work to do visually. Ended better than it started. Where's the sound?

Phantom: Didn't do anything for me. The two - separated ballads were good, the second better than the first. Felt like the marching and design was a bit dated. The guards were beautifully expressive and their unis were nice. Apparently I need bloodshed in order to like a Phantom show anymore.

Cavaliers: Impressed from last year's lack luster show. Dirty, but fun to watch. Trombone soloist - so good. Duet, nice touch. There were many glimpses of the old Cavies... I'm still on the fence if I agree with it or not (keeping the traditions.) I like the uniforms, but for me they could have even pushed it further. Hillary for President... nicely done!

Cadets: I like the all black unis! (There, I said it.) Better than the video i watched the other day, but was still left with a 'meh.' They slowed it down quite a bit which made me wanting that moment back. Dirty but they all are going to be. Horns and drums are just crazy good. Did the mic go out on the violin? Seems like it did, but wasn't sure. I couldn't help think this reminded me of Avon HS's show a few years ago when they did Statuesque. I still don't understand the theme or the front staging - but that's okay as long as I'm still entertained... and I was.

Bluecoats: Umm.. wow. Wasn't expecting that. People were crazy when the purplepantsband appeared, so expect the same responses here, but I love you for pushing the envelope and breaking the rules of tradition. Trend setters rarely are embraced, but I'm all in - love the changes. The sound is great, drums are phenomenal, and those props... just thinking beyond expectations. Timing's going to get better and hopefully prop integration will improve. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more development in the drill area and going to be excited to see an improved ending. Guard is - again - a bit sloppy this time of year - some kinks to work out, such as tossing over the ramps, etc. I'm in the minority when I think that there doesn't need to a clear understanding of why or what the program is about. As long as it sounds amazing and I enjoyed it - that's really all I care about. What I think is going to be interesting, is to see if they continue to push the art next year. With such a massive leap forward this year, doesn't seem possible to ever go back now.

Crown: Opening was so impressive. The hornline to beat this year, perhaps? The soloists are just mesmerizing. Percussion, I felt, was a bit too strong in the opening part of Hallelujah - need to soften that up a bit - let the soloist soar here. Battery can't be so overpowering either. Guard is darn good for opening night - this design team is very strong. I'm not crazy excited about the ending, which I know is never the real one until August roles around.

My initial placements had:

1/2. Bluecoats

2/1. Crown

3. Cadets

4. Cavaliers

5. Boston

6. Phantom

Of course, all of this is mute until you get the same judges on the same night for all of corps: BD & SCV are top-level competitors, so will need to see how they fare against this group.