Intrigue In Indy

One quick thought related to the "innovation" of Bluecoats' show. Watching Crown after it was a jostling experience. They were both drum corps, but it felt very different. And I am not downing Crown. The viewing was just a different kind of input.

This is good! The more variety the better. The activity shouldn't have to constantly cater to the whims of whatever trend du jour was started by some avant garde show. And neither should competitive requirements constrain corps to having to feature what's trendy (*cough* electronics) when the show design doesn't call for it.

• Like 3

The Cavaliers also have a Ted Cruz banner. Doesn't the Hillary banner come out during the meow, meow, drink coke part and stay for the ominous ending where there are like 50 signs? Just seemed like more advertising propaganda to me. My opinion is it would be silly to ignore the billion dollars spent on this election cycle. It'll be fun to watch years from now no matter what happens.

Edited by dagenh

To me, it seemed offensively anti-dog.

Off-season poll of DCI judges shows that 8 out of 10 are "cat people." Gotta "play to the judges"

• Like 2

One point I need to re-emphasize about Bluecoats' show. It really needs to be seen live. I saw it last night live on the 43 yard line, 18 rows up, and it is like a five ring circus. The eye can't take it all in on one sitting, but you can shift your focus every few seconds and catch something amazing all over the field if you see it live. I saw posted bootleg of the theater experience when I got home, and Tom Blair simply did not know how to point his cameras. This is not a slam against Tom, who does an amazing job. I honestly don't know how he could keep up with everything going on. BUT, the theater crowd missed more than 50% of what was going on, and some of the coolest stuff that was going on.

That's the problem for me. If I wanted to see a circus I'd go to the circus. If I wanted Cirque Du Soleil, I'd go see one of their shows (I have many times and they're fantastic) But to me, it's not drum corps. When I go to a drum corp show I want to see drill and hear great music, not this other BS.

• Like 1

That's the problem for me. If I wanted to see a circus I'd go to the circus. If I wanted Cirque Du Soleil, I'd go see one of their shows (I have many times and they're fantastic) But to me, it's not drum corps. When I go to a drum corp show I want to see drill and hear great music, not this other BS.

Fair enough ... This show is not for you.

• Like 1

IT'S OVERRRRRRRRRRRER. IT'S THE ENDDDDDDDD

Stay classy.

Although I doubt there is any kind of aggressive agenda in play, they kind of bring that kind of reaction on themselves when their show references current political candidates in an election season.

But they're offering up stuff from both political sides. If the creative was a bunch of "Bernie supporters" as the one poster stated, they would' have a lot of the stuff in there that they have.

• Like 1

Sorry Boo, but they aren't conspiracy theories when those inside the corps are admitting there is a reason the Hillary sign is larger than the other two....

I've spoken with corps people and that is a new one to me. But if someone really wants to go there, I'll add to the fire. Both Hillary and Cavaliers were from Park Ridge.

• Like 1

When Was the LAST time THE CADETS started out this low ???

Music was good. Brass and Percussion have good vehicles. . Drill is very dirty and not a good product. Guard is still middle of the pack .

Cadets are usually known for being a very hard working corps . This product will have to have many changes for it to be in the top 6. Might Bang it out with CAVALIERS and possibly BLUE KNIGHTS all year. Not in same league as Bluecoats , Crown or probably Blue Devils and SCV .

Having watched a video of last night's performance (BLOOO), and having seen a number of the posted spring preview shows, including BD, Cavaliers, Crown, Madison, Crossmen, and others, I completely disagree with your notion here.

Cadets started in 4th in 2011, then went on to win.

Now, this show will take some time. It does have some weaknesses, but all fixable. I think the props need looked at. They need a more professional look, like those of Bluecoats, Crown, and BD. The theme needs fleshed out a bit more as well. That will come with show edits, tweaks, and cuts. But make no mistake here, I believe the Cadets likely have the most challenging brass book out there, perhaps percussion too, and the music is really good and fun to listen to. Once clean that will help their music GE scores as well as performance. They are marching a killer visual book that simply needs much cleaning and a bit of clarification. The guard is sloppy, but I think they are exposed and integrated well.

What I dislike the most is not the theme so much, but the lack of color. Outside of that, this show has a lot of potential and when clean could become a beast to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

Typically, corps fans who don't consider today's drum corps to be "drum corps" would like drum corps to be what it was when they first fell in love with the activity. I'm not saying that fits you, but it's something I've observed. I've asked people, "When was drum corps 'drum corps?'" I've gotten responses stating the 1960s, the 1970s, the 1980s, the 1990s, and around 2000. Personally, I prefer drum corps be what it is, no matter what year it currently is. Drum corps is whatever drum corps becomes.

• Like 2