Intrigue In Indy

I'll add to the fire. Both Hillary and Cavaliers were from Park Ridge.

Ah, it's the Chicago connection. Next thing you know, Cavs will be having dead judges score their shows.

• Like 4

One thing looking at Crown and design within the guard is there flags are usually always themed. I love there ending flag with the Dia de los Muertos sugar skull look to it.

Ooooh, how interesting. I take it as a badge of honor and experience to be able to scan an entire drum corps field and catch most of what's going on. I actually appreciate my own ability to watch several things at once on the field.

I also want to hear great music and see great drill.

I am totally with Garfield on this one.

Having watched a video of last night's performance (BLOOO), and having seen a number of the posted spring preview shows, including BD, Cavaliers, Crown, Madison, Crossmen, and others, I completely disagree with your notion here.

Cadets started in 4th in 2011, then went on to win.

Now, this show will take some time. It does have some weaknesses, but all fixable. I think the props need looked at. They need a more professional look, like those of Bluecoats, Crown, and BD. The theme needs fleshed out a bit more as well. That will come with show edits, tweaks, and cuts. But make no mistake here, I believe the Cadets likely have the most challenging brass book out there, perhaps percussion too, and the music is really good and fun to listen to. Once clean that will help their music GE scores as well as performance. They are marching a killer visual book that simply needs much cleaning and a bit of clarification. The guard is sloppy, but I think they are exposed and integrated well.

What I dislike the most is not the theme so much, but the lack of color. Outside of that, this show has a lot of potential and when clean could become a beast to be reckoned with.

You are right about the props. I heard someone close to me say they looked like a Jr. High art project. And you are also right, I think Cadets have the hardest musical book on the field. Guard needs work. A lot of work. And I agree about the lack of color, especially with the guard. They are absorbed by the field.

• Like 1

Right there with you, but I will add...

I want drum corps to be UNIQUE. As unique as it was when I first came across it in 1972, but UNIQUE none-the-less.

That's my high-bar.

You keep mentioning this high bar ... Is it on High Street? I want to go there ...

Very late random thoughts on the show last night.

Bluecoats were like a breath of fresh air, so different in the approach and yet familiar at the same time -- especially loved the Heat of the Day. But, am I the only one who immediately thought of the Brady Bunch "Keep on Dancing" outfit with the corps proper? Seriously, I think it is the white belts, but now I can't get that out of my head!

Crown probably performed the most proficiently, but I just think that show is a not up to their standards. Really seems like they were desperate to play Medea's Dance of Vengeance and concocted a pretty convoluted story to do so. The tango in the middle also does not carry the "relentless" theme right now. But, perhaps my biggest issue is with the shooting at the end. Maybe just a little sensitive to the depiction of shooting now, but really did leave me a little uneasy. But, that's just me.

Cadets left me flat. I love the Cadets, but this show just does nothing for me right now. But, I have had that impression in June many times only to love the show by August, so I know better than to pass judgment now (but that also applies to all of the others as well).

Cavies were pretty strong, but really had a hard time getting the theme. I think it will require in person viewings and multiple viewings to get it.

Phantom made me happy because they ran as far away from 2015 as possible and I am so glad they did. The guard looked really strong for June and I think the visual impacts will evolve and grow during the year. A lot to be done, but at least they are not saddled with a poorly conceived story to try to sell.

Boston impressed me, but I just wish I could have heard the brass. The windmills were cool and after they figure out the best way to stage them and integrate them into the show, they will be a nice effect. Should be a pretty good year for them, but not really the show that will catapult them into the top 8, but solid nonetheless.

Looking forward to seeing how the shows evolve! They always do.

• Like 2

Bluecoats were like a breath of fresh air, so different in the approach and yet familiar at the same time -- especially loved the Heat of the Day. But, am I the only one who immediately thought of the Brady Bunch "Keep on Dancing" outfit with the corps proper? Seriously, I think it is the white belts, but now I can't get that out of my head!

You just made me have a spit take with a pretty expensive wine. Thanks!

You mean these outfits?

https://youtu.be/dUyTZlJnRns

• Like 1