2016 DCI Premiere -- Theater Experience

I watched in Memphis. Theater was at about 70% capacity. I can only recall seeing 4 people with corp shirts on. Seats were very comfy. Sound had only minor issues at high impact moments. The crowd was a little conservative. Some applauded after performances. Overall a good experience for my first theater showing. Schedule permitting, Ill be back next year.

Corps presence (Kennesaw, GA): There was a group of us ex-Crown folks. I saw a Cadets Corps jacket and shirt and one for Bluecoats. There may have been a few more, but they didn't stand out. Lots of young folks (great for the activity) who were enthusiastic but behaved. And Spirit got a good round of applause when their show was announced during the Tour Events portion.

North Brunswick NJ...had nice recliners to sit in and watch the show. VERY comfortable. Sound was decent.

Saw it in the same theater. Glad I got there much earlier than usual because what is typically a 50% fill was more like 95% fill as a result of the new seating. Loved the comfort - will be great for quarterfinals when you are in that seat a long time. Sound was okay but there were also video blips throughout almost all performances. Don't know enough about how these things work to comment on why, but it was distracting at times.

Corps presence (Kennesaw, GA): There was a group of us ex-Crown folks. I saw a Cadets Corps jacket and shirt and one for Bluecoats. There may have been a few more, but they didn't stand out. Lots of young folks (great for the activity) who were enthusiastic but behaved. And Spirit got a good round of applause when their show was announced during the Tour Events portion.

The Nashville show got a huge cheer when it was announced. Our audience was considerably older than I thought it might be. There was a guy who sat right in front of me who marched with Phantom last year, and I saw a lot of Bluecoats apparel. Also Cavaliers and Cadets. When Coats were announced, half the theatre broke out in a Blooooo cheer, and my son asked why they were booing them. Funny.

Audio at Thoroughbred was awful. In case anyone from DCI is reading this. At no time did I ever get the sense of power that you get live. Felt like marching band audio, which was very disappointing.

Milwaukee area had three theaters showing - Ridge theater was at a small screen, only about 15 people there and I was the only one with any corps wear. The sound was terrible. It felt like the hornlines were actually muted through the whole show. No crowd reaction at all, there was no real audio to react to!

I was in our local megaplex and the theater was only about 30% occupied. A couple of the local drum corps 'regulars', my son and I, and the rest were HS kids. I was surprised that there was little reaction to the shows - the crowd was pretty quiet throughout. I was one of the only people that actually clapped at the end of a corps' show. We may have had a different experience if Vanguard or Devs were on the big screen.

Like others have noted, our screen was dark at 5:30 (PDST) and it finally got underway about 5 minutes late. They got it back in-sync between corps about half-way through the show. Audio was ok, but not fantastic - other than Boston's pit was waaay too loud.

Was just on the Fathom website, they say there to post comments about the events on their facebook page, so I posted about how terrible the sound was at my theater and gave the theater name. It might be worthwhile for others to do so. Maybe enough negative feedback will get some changes made for finals! https://www.facebook.com/FathomEvents

A small crowd, as usual, at the location in the Baltimore area where we watched the show.

I like this location for that very reason... a smaller crowd gives us a better choice of seats. LOL.

Sounds was pretty good throughout... other than the aforementioned pit balance issues with BAC, and some other more minor stuff.

I attended in the Madison, WI location. The theater was about 60%-70% full, which I was happy with. Overall, the sound and video qualify was good. I thought the pit and electronics for Boston were especially loud, but I wasn't overly fond of the show, so I guess I'm a bit biased.

I am so happy that this theater option exists for those of us to can't make some of these bigger events in person. I'm willing to suffer a few sound or graphic issues for a taste of a great start to the season.

Overall, the crowd loved Cavies, Cadets, and Bloo. Everyone, including myself, seemed underwhelmed and disappointed with Crowns show. Honestly, I thought the brass book is flat compared to recent years...

Edited by goodmello

Ithaca, New York. Video quality was exceptional (other than a few periodic feed "blips"), and that particular theater has a VERY large screen (much larger than others in our area -- obviously, that's a GOOD thing). Sound, for the most part was very good, although the theater must have cranked the speakers a tad after Boston, because there was an appreciable volume difference during their performance and after (something I noticed when comparing the volume of Rondo's speaking before and after). Attendance? I'd say roughly 100 or so.

Saw it in the same theater. Glad I got there much earlier than usual because what is typically a 50% fill was more like 95% fill as a result of the new seating. Loved the comfort - will be great for quarterfinals when you are in that seat a long time. Sound was okay but there were also video blips throughout almost all performances. Don't know enough about how these things work to comment on why, but it was distracting at times.

I noticed those...seemed to be primarily on high level camera shots. They were a bit distracting.