Drum Corps or Figure Skating...is judging going there or is it there?

figure skating scoring is actually extremely explicit and transparent with technical marks now. much more so than dci. it's very specific with degree of difficulty, video replay of whether or not a blade lands on the correct edge, video replay of rotation, etc. i'm going to go out on a limb and say that dci will never be that analytical when it comes to technique.

the judging of artistic components are more analogous between the activities, but it's still a very imprecise analogy.

i think DCI judging today is very much like the old 6.0 scale that figure skating used to use, though. there was complete subjectivity regarding both technical and artistic achievement.

I thought it was called "squish-a-bug" in the secret DCI compulsories manual?

I think we need to name all of these moves.

Need some Crown fans to help.

I wasn't even going there with this. But how about YOU name an era where one move was executed by every competing corps in the last 20 years? What I am trying to say is that is the activity going backwards with requirements?

Easy.

The box/diamond-cutter drill move.

Era - EVERY YEAR SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME STOP IT ALREADY

Easy.

The box/diamond-cutter drill move.

Era - EVERY YEAR SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME STOP IT ALREADY

Stop what? I'm sorry, every corps? Don't think I saw that with every corps last night like BSSH (Bug Stomp Swivel Hips). Hey if you don't want to discuss things then go elsewhere this is a discussion board. Or you can always bring up waffles.

Wouldn't it be cool if there WAS a compulsory component to drum corps competitions? For example, in your 6 minute "Short Program" you must perform one instance of each of the following:

1. Rockford File style sequential rifle toss
  2. Troopers style sunburst
  3. Z-pull
  4. [something for the percussion]
  5. Flag toss over brass (must be at least 12 flags)
  6. Full brass company front (must be marched forward at least 10 yards).
  7. No props. No electronics. One set of flags. Either sabers or rifles, but nothing else.

For even more fun, we can go the ice dancing route, and require a certain music style in the short program as well.

Add this to the ToC shows, you get to see each corps twice. Put some entertainment fluff in between rounds, and use the results of the compulsory round to seed the corps in the freestyle round. Instant scores after each corps performs (the exit tunnel becomes the "kiss and cry" area). That way, we know what the oncoming corps needs to score to take over first place.

• Like 1

Stop what? I'm sorry, every corps? Don't think I saw that with every corps last night like BSSH (Bug Stomp Swivel Hips). Hey if you don't want to discuss things then go elsewhere this is a discussion board. Or you can always bring up waffles.

people use it 'cause it "works" and is relatively easy to do (except for those individuals who are "hip-impaired" and cant swivel their hips to save their lives -- but that's another story!) there's a lot of interesting lower body motion without affecting the playing much at all.

otoh you dont see a lot of corps moving into and out of the ground while playing long sustained notes because -- it's really freakin' hard :-)

Edited by corpsband

What on earth?

I think you missed my point entirely.

I understand. I was only only responding to your comparison of how judges score in the sport of Figure Skating, and how they score in DCI, thats all. DCI, unlike the sport you brought up, has no " compulsory " component in the scoring... written, or unwritten. The sport you brought up here to discuss has a precise set of visual moves that must be performed identically with the same instrument of the competition ( a skate ), and in a precise time frame. This " compulsories " segment is performed at a different hour of the competition among the competitors. The " compulsories " scoring judged component of the competition is then added to the later " Free Style " skating component portion of the competition score, to arrive at the total overall score in the competition for the competitors.

FYI, "compulsories" are no longer performed during international ice skating competitions - they typically use a Short Program and a Long, or Free Program

Edited by gak27