The FEAR of Change

Here are my top reasons for lower attendance.

Show Content Change

Where's the fun in recent year's shows? The humor? The joy? The accessibility? Look at this year's content, for example:

--Pioneer - Joan of Arc, operatic mourning, and burning her at the stake. (And yes, it's a good show.)

--Crown - Relentless - a violent point blank execution style gun murder, and then a retribution point blank revenge murder. What happened to a fun spaghetti Western?

--Cavies Propaganda - as grim, unredemptive and nihilistic as social commentary gets.

--Troopers Heroes- heavy, heavy subject matter - AIDS, loss of loved ones, cancer (and yes, I cried),

--Cadets - Statues Awakening - humorless, with a lack of whimsy or fantasy or buoyant resolution.

--Judas - Some buoyant music from JCS, like Everything's Alright, but overall, a grim, heavy subject matter-- who wants to scream "Yay, Judas, way to betray Jesus!"?

--Phantom - straightforward serious classical music without humor, whimsy, gymnastic set pieces or strong emotion.

Demographic Change

Clearly there's a change in the demographic and psychographic makeup of today's marching members. Remember when the corpsmembers' age was from 13 to 21? Now it's an aberration to have someone in high school in one of the top corps. They're all college and university-age kids, and mostly music and arts majors from solidly middle class families. In the 70's and 80's you had kids marching who were on the edge, socially-- working class, chemical dependency issues, and more rough and tumble. Remember when the Cavalier bus would rock back and forth so hard that the bus suspension broke?

Economy Change

Remember when you had a job at a company for 30 years in a row? Remember getting odd jobs during the summer between tours? Remember pensions? Remember when there was a payroll department? Remember when there were receptionists and secretaries? Remember strong unions? Remember vacation pay? Remember not checking work email from home? Remember raises? To see where all these perks have disappeared to, look at the skyrocketing stock price of your company and the enormous earnings increases. Last year Boeing made 5 billion dollars profit, and paid only 8 percent in taxes, and zero taxes the year before. Don't get me started.

Emotive Modern Dance

The trend of sloppy, outwardly emotive modern dance in drum corps shows has deflated the emotional containment that works so well. Standard military bearing style movement created emotional tension that was beautiful to watch. But now, when you see a color guard member gnashing their teeth and rending their garments, rolling on the floor in mock pain, and doing all the crying for you, why bother?

Casual Setups

The stakes are lower now when a corps enters. You see the corps members smoking cigarettes during the setups, shooting the breeze, having a snack. This lowers the high tension, high stakes off the line bang that used to be so unbearably beautiful.

Low Stakes Show Openers

Many of the show openers start in the most tentative way now, usually to bolster pit exposure, or to introduce some story element and dance feature before the drill starts cranking. The opening sequences are the quietest, most esoteric, abstract modern dance sequences imaginable. Most performance and theatrical arts begin with a bang, otherwise the audience loses interest.

Electronics Check

The electronics checks are confusing the start of the performances. I often think, "Is that weird noise part of the show?". Also, last night's Whitewater audio problems delayed the opening of Cadets and Cavaliers.

Culture of Immediate Pinpoint Satisfaction

Young teens at last night's show couldn't wait to get out of the stadium. They couldn't stand it. Today's kids can dial in to their preferred type of entertainment or visual excitement, (or physical excitement) at the click of a button. Instant gratification. Decades ago, kids were so desperate to get out of the house to see the world that they were willing to see a drum corps show, even with their parents. Think about it. When you were a kid, you attended events like this enjoy people watching, enjoy the sights, scoping endlessly to find what turns you on. Now, just type it in and avoid going outside altogether. Also, the nature of a drum corps show is arts roulette. You don't know what you'll see next, and you are powerless to change the lineup. Kids today can change their entertainment lineup in a fraction of a second. The liberal arts appreciation and exploration appears to be fading, except in the most hard core arts fans, and that's who's marching now.

You explained this way more eloquently than I did. Especially the culture change in terms of instant gratification. Nice job

People go to these things to see the shows, not the announcers. If the shows are good, nobody cares if the announcers aren't. If the shows aren't good, nobody cares if the announcers are.

Correct for me and everybody I know, anyway.

Even when I watch online, I take my focus off the screen to rest my eyes and stop thinking about drum corps for a few minutes.

I'm amazed that people care so much about what anybody has to say between shows, including the mini interviews with staff.

Also, KANSAS CITY STAR!

Here are my top reasons for lower attendance.

Show Content Change

Where's the fun in recent year's shows? The humor? The joy? The accessibility? Look at this year's content, for example:

--Pioneer - Joan of Arc, operatic mourning, and burning her at the stake. (And yes, it's a good show.)

--Crown - Relentless - a violent point blank execution style gun murder, and then a retribution point blank revenge murder. What happened to a fun spaghetti Western?

--Cavies Propaganda - as grim, unredemptive and nihilistic as social commentary gets.

--Troopers Heroes- heavy, heavy subject matter - AIDS, loss of loved ones, cancer (and yes, I cried),

--Cadets - Statues Awakening - humorless, with a lack of whimsy or fantasy or buoyant resolution.

--Judas - Some buoyant music from JCS, like Everything's Alright, but overall, a grim, heavy subject matter-- who wants to scream "Yay, Judas, way to betray Jesus!"?

--Phantom - straightforward serious classical music without humor, whimsy, gymnastic set pieces or strong emotion.

Demographic Change

Clearly there's a change in the demographic and psychographic makeup of today's marching members. Remember when the corpsmembers' age was from 13 to 21? Now it's an aberration to have someone in high school in one of the top corps. They're all college and university-age kids, and mostly music and arts majors from solidly middle class families. In the 70's and 80's you had kids marching who were on the edge, socially-- working class, chemical dependency issues, and more rough and tumble. Remember when the Cavalier bus would rock back and forth so hard that the bus suspension broke?

Economy Change

Remember when you had a job at a company for 30 years in a row? Remember getting odd jobs during the summer between tours? Remember pensions? Remember when there was a payroll department? Remember when there were receptionists and secretaries? Remember strong unions? Remember vacation pay? Remember not checking work email from home? Remember raises? To see where all these perks have disappeared to, look at the skyrocketing stock price of your company and the enormous earnings increases. Last year Boeing made 5 billion dollars profit, and paid only 8 percent in taxes, and zero taxes the year before. Don't get me started.

Emotive Modern Dance

The trend of sloppy, outwardly emotive modern dance in drum corps shows has deflated the emotional containment that works so well. Standard military bearing style movement created emotional tension that was beautiful to watch. But now, when you see a color guard member gnashing their teeth and rending their garments, rolling on the floor in mock pain, and doing all the crying for you, why bother?

Casual Setups

The stakes are lower now when a corps enters. You see the corps members smoking cigarettes during the setups, shooting the breeze, having a snack. This lowers the high tension, high stakes off the line bang that used to be so unbearably beautiful.

Low Stakes Show Openers

Many of the show openers start in the most tentative way now, usually to bolster pit exposure, or to introduce some story element and dance feature before the drill starts cranking. The opening sequences are the quietest, most esoteric, abstract modern dance sequences imaginable. Most performance and theatrical arts begin with a bang, otherwise the audience loses interest.

Electronics Check

The electronics checks are confusing the start of the performances. I often think, "Is that weird noise part of the show?". Also, last night's Whitewater audio problems delayed the opening of Cadets and Cavaliers.

Culture of Immediate Pinpoint Satisfaction

Young teens at last night's show couldn't wait to get out of the stadium. They couldn't stand it. Today's kids can dial in to their preferred type of entertainment or visual excitement, (or physical excitement) at the click of a button. Instant gratification. Decades ago, kids were so desperate to get out of the house to see the world that they were willing to see a drum corps show, even with their parents. Think about it. When you were a kid, you attended events like this enjoy people watching, enjoy the sights, scoping endlessly to find what turns you on. Now, just type it in and avoid going outside altogether. Also, the nature of a drum corps show is arts roulette. You don't know what you'll see next, and you are powerless to change the lineup. Kids today can change their entertainment lineup in a fraction of a second. The liberal arts appreciation and exploration appears to be fading, except in the most hard core arts fans, and that's who's marching now.

Can we declare this a rant? Like is there a way to stamp it officially a 100% DCP supported rant? Can he get a badge on his profile as head ranter? Jesus Christ (superstar), you old people get mad at stuff don't you?

Edited by caliswift

Why is "fear" included in the subject of this thread? Not really getting the implication. Is a dislike of change considered "fear"? What are we actually getting at here...

The fear of changing the trend by actually assigning a true score - as opposed to playing it safe by following the process.

Its no coincidence that so many corps have started 2016 the way they placed in 2015.

I think Channel3 did an excellent job with his/her analysis. Obviously, there can never be such a listing that is irrefutable, yet this poster made several points I agree with. I'd like to add something similar. Caution, I am 65 years old, and my definitive drum corps years are long gone. I now watch from a distance.

The younger generation has become very difficult to satisfy and make content. They were raised in an era of rapid change. They are programmed to be bombarded by new images and emotions, and that kind of stimulation is now easier to find, become bored with, and replace. There's a new "hot item" around every corner. What really is that concept called tradition? Sexy, we get. Gotta keep movin, I have a text waiting! Tell me/show me something I don't already know. The more outrageous the better!

Haven't seen Bluecoats yet, but I'm not surprised by their design choices. Nor the buzz that came their way. Same for the radical elements of costumes. None of it will be enough for 2017, and years yet to come. Buckle-up, fans! This is just the beginning, and there can be no end.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

3. Band programs are declining across the country as school systems have started cutting funds towards music education. Less students taking up an interest at an early age increases the likeliness of less kids wanting to march.

Great post, Cappy. I feel that all of the factors you listed are pretty much spot on. Now, as to the point above...

I'm sure that there are many who might dispute what you stated. And if one only looks at the traditional "powerhouses" across the country, it might appear that there isn't much change from the past. However, not every school possesses a "powerhouse" (again, high schools are what I'm talking about -- not D&BC) marching band -- say nothing of even one in the field marching level. But if we were to look at smaller, rural schools across the country, it is pretty much indisputable the marching activity is becoming less and less of an interest to the common student. This is a trend permeating throughout the field of school music -- not just marching. Concert Band numbers are down. School Jazz Ensembles are either disappearing altogether, or are sporting smaller instrumentations. Increasing course requirements are leaving less time in the school schedule for students to have an "elective." Add to this the many options more available to the common student than was available in the past. When I was in high school in our small rural town, there was little else available to us (during the summer) for interest than to march in the summer marching band (well, other than hunting dinosaurs, that is). The options were either do the family chores, get together (with whatever friends were available) at the school for pick-up sports days, or watch TV. Now?? Sports camps of every available kind, summer camps of every available kind, the need to secure a summer job because the impending costs of college far exceed what we grew up with...all are factors. Drum Corps is now feeding off colleges, universities, and "powerhouse" high school programs almost exclusively. There is no FEAR of change. There is simply change. And I don't see it improving any time soon.

Edited by HornTeacher

It is infinitely easier to record your own original music today than it was even a decade ago. Kids seem far more interested in creating and performing their own original music than band music. This may be good reason to corps moving into more of a multidisciplinary activity than just playing and marching. Certainly allows for a broader range of participation and self expression.

Is it too early in the season to mention that I like waffles? :cool:

• Like 3