Any lock for Top 3?

We should all pull up where corps were ranked this time last year and what eventually happened by August.

• Like 1

If we want to allow for more subjective analysis of the season so far (more biased, but more fun to argue), I'd argue that BD is not a lock for 1st and perhaps could have to fight for 2nd. I'm not yet convinced that Tempest has the GE potential to equal or surpass Ink without restaging the middle section of the show (IMO the props are too close in and cut the vertical depth of the field by almost half - though the BD staff I'm sure have their reasons for this which I'll try to grok). It is easier for me to see Bluecoats taking Downside Up further than Kinetic Noise (which ended up only .75 behind Ink) and their challenges are more along the lines of tightening up the cross-field timings (which was an issue they cleaned up well in '15) and adding clarity and variety to their prop interactions and body-movement sequences. Crown seems to move and play as well as ever - drums may even be a step ahead of last year, but I've yet to see the level of GE that they had with Inferno. A western styled revenge tale doesn't feel as grand, compelling and visceral as escaping from the pit of hell (bias alert - I'm not big on storyline shows in drum corps though Inferno was one of the finest attempts). I'm also a bit meh on the drill for Crown this year - to my eye it seems like they go from their files/block formations (usually parallel/perpendicular to the sideline) into a large curvilinear follow drill and back into blocks too often. Also the hornline seems to most often travel in a pack which reduces the timing demands and spacial sound design effectiveness as well as reducing visual variety. Crown made some very effective changes last year, so many of these concerns may dissolve as they improve the production over the season. Again this just my own subjective analysis (though I attempt to be objective as possible) and I'm sure there are some great surprises coming as the season evolves.

• Like 2

Nope. I'm calling you on this. The NCAA had a very limited transfer policy designed to address college concerns about recruiters partying and generally 'not bribing' players on campus. It only affected players in the 'elite' leagues where that would be a problem. But they got rid of those policies years ago.

I just checked Pop Warner's policy, which states (Article 10, Part C)

Which means not only can they move up to a better team, they can do so during the current season, which DCI does not allow (DCI rule 1.2 IIRC)

What amateur sports league has transfer rules, Brasso?

I kinda wondered about this also but didn't have enough interest to actually look any of it up. Thanks for the info ( not that it effects our activity.

As per the actual topic I do think top 3 at this point can actually be 4 or even possibly 5 who have potential. The next 2 weeks i think will narrow that a bit as in every area. Not that 1 or 2 can't surge( or drop ) into a different group at any time. It's not just what a corps does to surge ahead but what others do to slip.

Edited by GUARDLING

I kinda wondered about this also but didn't have enough interest to actually look any of it up. Thanks for the info ( not that it effects our activity.

As per the actual topic I do think top 3 at this point can actually be 4 or even possibly 5 who have potential. The next 2 weeks i think will narrow that a bit as in every area. Not that 1 or 2 can't surge( or drop ) into a different group at any time. It's not just what a corps does to surge ahead but what others do to slip.

It's anybody's guess!

IIRC Three shows since 2000 were won by a corps that was 2+ points behind even two weeks before finals. (Angels & Demons, Spartacus, and a Cavaliers show from the early 2000s - I forget which).

• Like 1

It's anybody's guess!

IIRC Three shows since 2000 were won by a corps that was 2+ points behind even two weeks before finals. (Angels & Demons, Spartacus, and a Cavaliers show from the early 2000s - I forget which).

Scanning the score archives it looks like no Cavies show in a year they won in the early 2000s was ever that far behind from mid-July onward.

The Blue Devils are actually behind.

Lemme 'splain.

Last year at this point in the season BD was from 1-3 points ahead of both Crown and BC. But Crown was favored at Finals so Crown closed the gap. (Cadets was in between maybe one point or less behind the Devils on average, and Bloo was further behind.)

This year BD are in a dead heat with both Crown and Bloo, so ...

all-things-being-equal-which-they-are-not, including judging panels, difficulty vs. 'cleanability' of shows, staff, etc., etc. The Devs will lose to one of those two corps by 1 - 3 points! They should come in 3rd or lower.

I don't really think this means much, but based on the limited and highly inaccurate cross-show data we have, BD is in trouble for a three-peat.

This post is so flawed. You cannot compare scores from different shows. Anyone who thinks BD isn't out front now is a fool, IMO. I am not a BD fan what-so-ever and their constant winning annoys the F out of me, but they are best - through and through - the best! Don't be surprised if BD 2 points Bloo and Crown when they first meet up. I'd love to see Bloo, SCV or Crown win this year, but my money is on those pesky Blue Devils :)

This post is so flawed. You cannot compare scores from different shows. Anyone who thinks BD isn't out front now is a fool, IMO. I am not a BD fan what-so-ever and their constant winning annoys the F out of me, but they are best - through and through - the best! Don't be surprised if BD 2 points Bloo and Crown when they first meet up. I'd love to see Bloo, SCV or Crown win this year, but my money is on those pesky Blue Devils :)

BLASPHEMY!!!

I'd be extremely surprised if BD 2 points bloo and crown at their first meeting.