There was a time when the troopers were in the top 3, a time when Crown was no body, a time when the Cavies dominated, Phantom rocked faces off, My question is "Who do you think is the next world class corps that no body is talking about now, that we could possibly be talking about as a title contender in 3 to 5 years?"

Cavaliers are on track to return to form. Increased talent at audition camps this fall should put them back into a regular top 4 position within a couple of seasons (and top 5 this year isn't out of the question). Haven't seen Crossmen yet this year, but it sounds like they've figured some things out. BK is in a big enough hole now that they might be headed back in the other direction, and a 9th or 10th place finish this season would take a lot of air out of that balloon.

Past that, I don't see anyone else on track to turn the top 6 into the top 8 or the top 10, which is really what a healthy activity would look like.

• Like 3

I think the next returning medalist is going to be SCV, who has an awful lot of strengths and is clearly good enough, but hasn't quite assembled the right show in the right year. I see them earning a medal sooner than the Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment.

It'll be interesting to see if Blue Knights' scores recover this weekend. After the last two seasons, I had believed that they were ready to take a step up. But they have not had a good start to this year.

• Like 1

"Who do you think is the next world class corps that no body is talking about now, that we could possibly be talking about as a title contender in 3 to 5 years?"

I'd guess no one within 3-5 years. A couple of corps that some are "talking about" might have a chance, but those not receiving any key strokes, forgetaboutit.

• Like 1

I can recall in 1994 at DCI finals in Foxboro, people were talking about Carolina Crown. I think it was their first year competing in World Class, maybe second, I'd have to look it up to be certain, but they had yet to make finals, and the predictions that evening did prove true, namely that they would be a corps to watch. People have been saying the same for Academy for quite a few years. I do not know any of the folks at Academy, so I can't say anything for certain except for what I hear and from the sounds of it, Academy has an easy time recruiting younger talented members but after a few years, move on to other corps. I think this has been stated in other threads. One of Crown's strengths has been keeping seasoned veterans who have the experience while recruiting new members that bring new energy. For Academy, they have to make finals first, and then keep veterans. If this happens, and this year could very well be the year it happens, Academy could scale the heights.

If you look at some of Crossmen's marching members, you wonder if they are old enough without their parents' permission, but when you see the corps on the field, they are amazing and have shown maturity in the past few weeks. While I would still put them no higher than 10th, though I will not rule out a smidge higher, Fred Morrison and crew have been working strategically to make the corps come to life and this is happening. The middle tier has to watch out next year, perhaps this year.

I think if we really want to see who we'll be talking about as great in the future but are now still ascending, we have to look at Open Class. Word is Genesis has big plans for the future and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new corps competing in Open Class at prelims in Indy.

• Like 1

Amen to the Crossmen comments. While maybe not a medal contender, if they keep doing all the things they seem to be doing right, it's easy to see them vying for top 5 within a year or two.

Already solidly in my top 5 for just plain enjoyable drum corps this year!

• Like 1

Word is Genesis has big plans for the future and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new corps competing in Open Class at prelims in Indy.

I'm only interested in a current WC corps that has had "big plans for the future" for several years. Sadly, there are still many WC/OC stepping stone corps.

There was a time when the troopers were in the top 3, a time when Crown was no body, a time when the Cavies dominated, Phantom rocked faces off, My question is "Who do you think is the next world class corps that no body is talking about now, that we could possibly be talking about as a title contender in 3 to 5 years?"

Start here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/107285-a-competitive-inertia/?p=2085547

• Like 1

First of all, I wouldn't be having notions that BK is dropping this year just because of their current scores. We all know they have yet to field a complete show and when they do, they are very likely to jump significantly. From what I've seen so far, though, leads me to believe they are very likely going to end up in the 7-5 position...depending on their competition, of course.

In regard to "who is next" to break into the top 3, I don't see any corps doing that in the near future. Not even SCV.

First of all, I wouldn't be having notions that BK is dropping this year just because of their current scores. We all know they have yet to field a complete show and when they do, they are very likely to jump significantly. From what I've seen so far, though, leads me to believe they are very likely going to end up in the 7-5 position...depending on their competition, of course.

In regard to "who is next" to break into the top 3, I don't see any corps doing that in the near future. Not even SCV.

Blue Knights had huge fan momentum, until their show was not complete as the season began. Some have decried it as lack of preparation, others claim they want to get it right and not make corrections. Time will tell, actually Allentown will tell. Whether BK places 6th or higher this year has little to do with whether they will be a major force in years to come. How this year works out and how it fits in their larger plan is key. Yes placement is important, but so too is learning from experience. If this pays off well for them, we'll all be singing their priases. If their plans do not work out, how they avoid it in the future will be what matters.

• Like 1

Blue Knights had huge fan momentum, until their show was not complete as the season began. Some have decried it as lack of preparation, others claim they want to get it right and not make corrections. Time will tell, actually Allentown will tell. Whether BK places 6th or higher this year has little to do with whether they will be a major force in years to come. How this year works out and how it fits in their larger plan is key. Yes placement is important, but so too is learning from experience. If this pays off well for them, we'll all be singing their priases. If their plans do not work out, how they avoid it in the future will be what matters.

Well...sure...all that goes without saying. For every corps.

As for myself, I'm talking about finals placement...not anything before then.

But, at this point I don't see any corps not in the top 4 having any chance to break into that top 4. Those top 4 corps are just too ###### good.

Edited by Herk