I'm only interested in a current WC corps that has had "big plans for the future" for several years. Sadly, there are still many WC/OC stepping stone corps.

So true. What corps doesn't have 'big plans for the future?' Everyone wants to make that step up. It's just really really difficult to do so and you also have to count on another corps falling back a bit.

To me, the answer to the OP's question about who can be the next top 3 caliber corps not currently on anyone's radar, is the one who can take a financial quantum leap. The perennial top 3-4 corps typically are the ones that have the biggest budgets and best fund-raising capabilities. Are there exceptions here and there, sure, but ultimately the consistent success of BD, Cadets, Crown, and SCV over the years has largely been in part to their ability to generate operating capital. Of course even these groups struggle at times, as PR and some other top 6-10 corps have recently, but it's not hard to see the correlation between consistent success and access to sufficient operating capital.

Star of Indiana is probably the best example of what money can do for a corps. Star was started in 1985/6 by Bill Cook, a wealthy business man and fan of the activity. Star made finals their very first year and had a championship just 5 years later. Why was that possible? Money. They were able to attract the best and brightest staff of the day and offered reduced marching dues for the members as compared to other corps. A lethal combination.

So perhaps a wealthy person or group can infuse some serious cash into a corps like Crossmen, Legends, Academy, etc. and propel them to new heights. Otherwise it is a slow, slow climb to the top (ask Crown, Bluecoats). But even then you still have to unseat those perennial, well-funded powerhouses at the top. And once you get there, that's just the beginning. Try staying there year after year. So many things have to go right for you, but not the least of which is your ability to fund-raise and keep up with BD, Cadets, Crown, and others.

Now...none of this takes away from the X factor that these corps have such as history, tradition, alumni groups, etc. that attract the top talent year in and year out. All of that is critically important. But with respect to what it would take to propel a corps from the present ranks of the Quarter-finalists/Open Class Corps to a top 3 corps? Money and lots of it.

• Like 1

Blue Knights had huge fan momentum, until their show was not complete as the season began.

Is that evident anywhere than on DCP? For example, is BK's Facebook page mobbed with complaints about their show not being done?

Few expected Crown to fall from 1st to 5th.

This got me curious to check how many corps have fallen at least that far from first place in their next season:

1973 Kingsmen -- 1st to 6th

1989 Madison Scouts -- 1st to 7th

1990 Santa Clara Vanguard-- 1st to 6th

1991 Cadets -- 1st to 6th

1993 Cavaliers -- 1st to 5th

2006 Cadets -- 1st to 5th

2009 Phantom Regiment -- 1st to 9th

But with respect to what it would take to propel a corps from the present ranks of the Quarter-finalists/Open Class Corps to a top 3 corps? Money and lots of it.

Yes. Its possible for a multi millionaire or billionaire to appear out of nowhere, and decide to make a gigantic monetary offer to some of the best show designers, and music arrangers in the biz to come and write and arrange for their Drum Corps. As mentioned here, Bill Cook, the 2nd wealthiest person in the state of Indiana ( Irsay, #1 ) did just that for his Star of Indiana start up Corps back in the 80's. And once he brought in those people, MM talent flocked there, and Star quickly put together a Corps that rose quickly up the ranks into medal contention, then the winner circle. However, unless a Corps is fortunate to find a similar sugar daddy (unlikely, imo ). there is no current Corps out there about to become the next Star of Indiana, imo. Star has been gone for over 2 decades now, and no DCI Corps has since found a similar uber wealthy sugar daddy.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This got me curious to check how many corps have fallen at least that far from first place in their next season:

1973 Kingsmen -- 1st to 6th

1989 Madison Scouts -- 1st to 7th

1990 Santa Clara Vanguard-- 1st to 6th

1991 Cadets -- 1st to 6th

1993 Cavaliers -- 1st to 5th

2006 Cadets -- 1st to 5th

2009 Phantom Regiment -- 1st to 9th

I'd like to point out that of all of those years, few of those corps fell from "elite" status ( top 6 in my book or scoring above 93 at finals) for very long; sometimes returning even the year after that fall.

1974 Anaheim Kingsmen -- 6th (82.650) to 3rd (88.550) *Tic system

1990 Madison Scouts -- 7th (93.60) to 9th (88.70) - '92 5th ( 93.70)

1991 Santa Clara Vanguard-- 6th (94.00) to 4th(94.40)
1992 Cadets -- 6th (93.700) to 2nd (97.00)
1994 Cavaliers -- 5th (94.00) to 4th ( 95.700)
2007 Cadets -- 5th (93.075) to 2nd (97.025)
2010 Phantom Regiment -- 9th (89.90) to 6th (93.150)

In today's fandom, it seems that you're only as good as last year's placement...

• Like 1

Yes I agree it's hard to break into that elite group of drum corps. I feel as though the academy is just beginning their upward trend. They have been establishing who they are just the past 3 years. The programming has become more laser focused, and specific to their brand/look. They have had the same BD/Crown designers the past 3 years and it is really working for them all around. I have really enjoyed each offering yearly! I truly believe the difference this year, is that they have been creating a following of fans and putting the crowd first. I believe this helps bring the talent and that is the difference maker!

Totally Agree Lone Ranger. With music arranger Michael Klesch (Crown) and The Academy's consistent creative team for the third year in a row.....along with its most "seasoned core of veterans" THE ACADEMY has built a solid foundation of a true top 12 contender. The New Brass horns has the Corps projecting like never before. With the success of 2014's Vanity Fair, 2015's "A Step In Time" interests and new blood flowed to The Academy with an impressive increase in the number of recruits, this year in the range of around 300.. This years production "Drum Corpse Bride" is a direct result of the past two years success. The season is yet young, but this years edition of THE ACADEMY is bringing a slow but steadily developing horse into the race focused towards and perhaps beyond it's best finish of 13th in 2007.. It'll be a fun race to watch for sure!

• Like 1

Not many groups have a strangle hold on a Geographic area. Most corps have 1 day auditions or 3 day Camps across the country. When I auditioned in 13 I saw groups in home audition area, Atlanta, somewhere in texas, and somewhere in California. They know where to search. Take Troopers. I believe they have 1 person from the state in the corps so where are the other 149 from? Texas, indiana, and so on.

• Like 1

So it's agreed? If any of us get super rich we are making the Blue Knights DCI World Champions and then The Academy :D

• Like 1