Well...sure...all that goes without saying. For every corps.

As for myself, I'm talking about finals placement...not anything before then.

But, at this point I don't see any corps not in the top 4 having any chance to break into that top 4. Those top 4 corps are just too ###### good.

And that is the issue, isn't it? When the top four corps score above 98, let's face it, you're talking about someone putting a near-perfect show on the field. It takes veterans in DCI to do that, a lot of them. A high school band cannot compete with a college band, it's simply maturity and strength.

Of all the things Crown had going for it, and there were many, they clearly benefitted from being the only WC corps in the south (all due respect to Spirit). Band in the south is a big deal because football is a big deal. Crown was very smart in developing a love affair with southern high schools and colleges.

Right now, Crossmen have Texas to themselves, with Genesis trying to make a run. Somehow they have to carve out an identity (that's how BC did it) and they HAVE to keep kids in the corps as they approach age-out. With all those former Crown people on staff, they have a better shot than anyone else. But it is going to continue to be a battle because of the stranglehold Crown, BD, Cadets and now BC have on the medalist stage.

Crossmen need that breakout show concept. I would like to think Academy is that corps because they have figured out their niche, but they have to MAKE finals first.

Crossmen is looking like they're in for some rising in placement in the next few years. Genesis as well, maybe moving up to World Class.

Crossmen need that breakout show concept. I would like to think Academy is that corps because they have figured out their niche, but they have to MAKE finals first.

If you compare the Crossmen 2013 show "Protest" and Cavaliers' 2016 show "Propaganda", the actual concept isn't that different.

Song choices, execution of the concept, and other factors are just as important as the concept.

Edited by CaviesFan17

And that is the issue, isn't it? When the top four corps score above 98, let's face it, you're talking about someone putting a near-perfect show on the field. It takes veterans in DCI to do that, a lot of them. A high school band cannot compete with a college band, it's simply maturity and strength.

Of all the things Crown had going for it, and there were many, they clearly benefitted from being the only WC corps in the south (all due respect to Spirit). Band in the south is a big deal because football is a big deal. Crown was very smart in developing a love affair with southern high schools and colleges.

Right now, Crossmen have Texas to themselves, with Genesis trying to make a run. Somehow they have to carve out an identity (that's how BC did it) and they HAVE to keep kids in the corps as they approach age-out. With all those former Crown people on staff, they have a better shot than anyone else. But it is going to continue to be a battle because of the stranglehold Crown, BD, Cadets and now BC have on the medalist stage.

You make a lot of points here. Some I agree with, some I think are no-brainers that don't even need to be mentioned...but one in particular that I disagree with. That's your contention that Crossmen have Texas to themselves.

I don't know what other corps do as far as recruiting in Texas, but I DO know that BK heavily recruits there. My guess is that fully half their corps is from Texas...maybe more than come from Colorado.

Edited by Herk

Texas is the home for the most corps members save California (which should be expected with the most world class corps in that state). This can be attributed to the fact that most corps have at least one audition camp in the state nowadays.

Looking at Open Class corps, I have a really good feeling about 3 right now. Louisiana Stars, Legends, and Genesis. Genesis and Legends have exploded in size and performance level in the last few years, and have experienced pretty steady, consistent growth every year of their existence. Louisiana Stars came out the gate guns blazing two years ago with a very healthy sized corps, outstanding performances, and a smart small tour for a newer group. Think they could make some noise at their first trip to Indy this year.

I think within 5 years one or two of them could have an OC championship, and someone could move up to World. I think they need to win a championship first in Open Class and experience some success before that. But these three in how they perform AND are run, I have good feelings about.

As far as current World Class............that's hard. I've been waiting for OC to bust into the top 15, they've got a hill to climb score wise. Cascades are improving leaps and bounds every year, and I think if Academy can maintain their growth through the whole season, they could break out pretty soon. We shall see.

• Like 1

I really like Academy

Well...sure...all that goes without saying. For every corps.

As for myself, I'm talking about finals placement...not anything before then.

But, at this point I don't see any corps not in the top 4 having any chance to break into that top 4. Those top 4 corps are just too ###### good.

Strategic planning does play a huge role for every corps, and quite frankly in 2012 after Teal Sound not finishing a season after only a few shows, and Glassmen folding after finals, I think many WC corps worked on strengthening the organization. And yes, breaking into the top tier is difficult, but it happens. I did not attend Allentown or Indy in 2011 and let's face it, these are two places you catch the scuttlebutt, so if there were rumors about Cavies falling from 3rd to 8th in 2012 with a season many thought they'd fall from finals all together, I did 't hear them, but it happened. Now we're seeing a rebirth. I can remember thinking 2009 was a fluke for Crown and many believed it was a great year for them, but not a permanent home. As recent as 2013, few expected we'd see Bluecoats win 2nd and 3rd two years in a row and now they are a favorite to win a title. Few expected Crown to fall from 1st to 5th. Ten years ago I would have said in 2016 we'll probably see Cavies, BD, or Cadets battle for first with Phantom or SCV as a solid 4th. Crown or Bloo would be 5th at the highest. Things don't change quickly in drum corps but they do change, and often when least expected.

• Like 1

"Who do you think is the next world class corps that no body is talking about now, that we could possibly be talking about as a title contender in 3 to 5 years?"

Sadly, but lets be real here......not a one.

First off, with history as our guide, the Blue Devils are probably going to win at least 3 of these next 5 titles, so that probably leaves 2 years to consider. BD is likely going to be 2nd ( maybe 3rd ) these 2 years as well. So my guess, the " Title Contenders " for these remaining 2 or 3 years with BD will probably come from the usual elite Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1