What would it take?

Ok, first I am not one of those everyone deserves a trophy or medal for participating kind of people. I believe that life is about working hard and earning what you get and accepting it when you don't. That said, at what point would the idea float that DCI finals should expand?

Before lashing out, consider this- in the past 5 years could you think of at least two corps that you easily could've seen as finalists and others below that were very good. If prelims includes all Open Class and we've seen the surge there too, why not expand maybe two spots?

This year esp it's going to be painful to see someone really good be left out on Saturday. To my first statement, that's part of learning to be a winner, accepting when it's not your turn. But, at what point does the parity become too much to ignore? Academy, Troop, Boston are all great drum corps but only 1 gets in when it's said and done....

Wes P

For me, I think it's timing. I think 12 corps is enough. That makes for a long day, after two previous long days (quarters and semis). Personally, since the introduction of the new format (previous top 12 having to compete in prelims) I skip quarters or semis - for me it's just too much.

Where would 15 corps stand at retreat? They can barely fit as it is.

• Like 3

Maybe a rule could be adopted similar to how golf tournaments determine who gets to play in the final 2 rounds of the tournament. DCI equivalent would be "Top 12 and all those within X number of points of the leader".

And let's say you used that same scenario as golf - a 10-point relationship to the leader...

2015 - would have had 9 Finalists

2014 - 8 Finalists

2013 - 9 Finalists

2012 - 8 Finalists

2011 - 9 Finalists

2010 - 10 Finalists

2009 - 9 Finalists

2008 - 9 Finalists

2007 - 9 Finalists

Etc. You can see where that's going.

Just wanted to look up and see what that relationship would be like.

And let's say you used that same scenario as golf - a 10-point relationship to the leader...

2015 - would have had 9 Finalists

2014 - 8 Finalists

2013 - 9 Finalists

2012 - 8 Finalists

2011 - 9 Finalists

2010 - 10 Finalists

2009 - 9 Finalists

2008 - 9 Finalists

2007 - 9 Finalists

Etc. You can see where that's going.

Just wanted to look up and see what that relationship would be like.

I guess the thought was a minimum of 12, and more if there are additional corps that are within the point range.

If we're talking minimum score to get in, why even have placements (I'm serious on this, I actually think competition doesn't need to be a part of it, but that's a different topic you can yell at me for later). I watched a documentary on some master cooking competition on Netflix. I'm not going to look it up because I am tired and can only apply my most recent cup of coffee's energy toward this post, but the point of it was that it wasn't a competition at all - it was a test. If you passed the test with the minimum score, you were given the distinction of Netflix's Greatest Chef, or something that wasn't made up, and your food was shown in the finals. There could be 10 people in the finals, 1 person, or even none. Ninja Warrior's the same way now that I think about it.

Anyways, the point of this rant is that if we're going to do a minimum score, let's just do a minimum score to place at finals (say 85) and then championship shows are anything that score a 97. Can have multiple champions or even none, and multiple in finals or theoretically none (I don't think anyone in '72 qualifies under this system, do they?)

I think some might have taken it to mean from my thread that I'm not for the current 12 spot finals allotment. I am, I've always supported and felt the right calls have been made as to who represents in that 12. That said, many brought up only 22 WC Corps. But correct me if I'm wrong they add the Open Class to that which puts prelims over 40, Semis at 25, whereas it used to be 17, and then still only 12 at finals. With new and upcoming Open Class Corpsand the strength we've seen from a BDB for instance, the quality at Semis hasn't diminished because of adding spots, it's given opportunity. That said are any Open Class Corps finals quality? No, unlikely. But we can't quote only 22 when World Class corps have been beaten at Prelims and Semis. Now I agree with Redjazz that perhaps a solution to be more elite is 10. But, then you're taking an even smaller ratio of corps from the 25. I'm for it either way, just think the last 2-3 spots in are not nearly as obvious as some have insinuated.

Edited by wesleyrp

INT

Enough.

Marine Corps

Int

Retreat

PERFECT

• Like 1

I think some might have taken it to mean from my thread that I'm not for the current 12 spot finals allotment. I am, I've always supported and felt the right calls have been made as to who represents in that 12. That said, many brought up only 22 WC Corps. But correct me if I'm wrong they add the Open Class to that which puts prelims over 40, Semis at 25, whereas it used to be 17, and then still only 12 at finals. With new and upcoming Open Class Corpsand the strength we've seen from a BDB for instance, the quality at Semis hasn't diminished because of adding spots, it's given opportunity. That said are any Open Class Corps finals quality? No, unlikely. But we can't quote only 22 when World Class corps have been beaten at Prelims and Semis. Now I agree with Redjazz that perhaps a solution to be more elite is 10. But, then you're taking an even smaller ratio of corps from the 25. I'm for it either way, just think the last 2-3 spots in are not nearly as obvious as some have insinuated.

Sometimes 1st place isn't obvious, but it still goes to whichever corps the judges pick. Same thing with #12. Same thing with #15 if you expand finals to 15 units...

12 is perfect, imo

' Don't need to lower the number, nor increase the number, imo.

• Like 1