You know why can't you just throw some songs together that make sense and preform...... PREFORM.

Bluecoats 2016?
  • Like 1

Bluecoats is actually taking a 180 degree path from the storytelling direction on purpose. It's the whole concept behind their concept. And people criticize them for NOT having a story!

The biggest change in the Bluecoats, and what has pushed them forward this seaason, are primarily VISUAL in nature. New, non uniform costuming is a creative VISUAL change statement from them...( not a musical statement.) Their 2016 show is a visual treat, with large walls for props, creative visual elevated stations for brass and musicians to play on, slide down the walls on, etc and very inventive visual moves for the brass players to engage in while not playing their musical instruments at several junctures in the show. Corps can receive far more build up points under the current judging system by putting their instruments aside and doing creative visual movements.. more so than if they were playing their musical instruments in a more stationary manner. Don't get me wrong, the Bluecoats have a terriific brass and percussion section. But its their VISUAL creativity this season that has given them their current edge with the judges.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Bluecoats 2016?

Exactly. There isn't really a theme to their show. Like I still don't really know what those ramps are for other than to add to some fun.

I do like it, although I think the point that hostrauser made even before the season started, about the drill being rather confined to the front, is correct--or was, when I saw the show.

(I was only questioning "fantasy" in response to jwillis's use of the term, since it would never have occurred to me to describe Crown's show thus.)

As for people who don't know Medea in the first place, I'd be most curious to know how they feel about it as music. While now well-known and apparently well-liked in drum corps, my sense is that people who aren't versed in Modernist music will like it a lot less than they like, say, more populist works like Copland's Appalachian Spring or Rodeo.

In 1993, and not just because of Star's show, you had complaints about "esoteric music and abstract programs" and "aggressive, disjunct, percussive and biting or even angry" music "with little melodic content that the ear can hold onto or harmonic content that is pleasing to the ear", as well as the question, "Where is the music you can recognize? Where are the stirring moments? ... I can remember only one color guard routine from the top four corps -- the Cavaliers flag toss", while a Drum Corps World survey found that "95% of the people were not entertained up to the level of their expectations."

Well you certainly aren't seeing negative reactions or booing! In fact Medea is craftily hidden in much of the show. The ostinato is played underneath the Dobson piece. It's sprinkled throughout the show so that it can be picked out if you know what to listen for. But you rarely hear pure, unadulterated Medea.

Edited by corpsband

This thread needs some Channel3... :poke:

Well, he has been alluded to.

I was not aware it was a father and son.

Thanks for the info!

:)

I was not aware either! Thanks for the tip!

After that, it seems we may be using "fantasy" in different ways. For me, that term, when applied to a narrative, implies the involvement of the supernatural. I wouldn't refer to most Westerns as "fantasy" (I'm thinking of, e.g. The Virginian, Stagecoach, The Searchers, Red River, High Noon, Winchester 73, The Searchers, The Magnificent Seven, For a Few Dollars More, Unforgiven).

Don't think of fantasy as supernatural in this case. Think of something left to the imagination of the viewer. Their own personal fantasy. The movies you reference above are fully developed stories. Also, a fantasy in musical form is a through-composed piece with only small melodic fragments recurring, although I'm not sure this is what Crown is trying to do musically. You definitely make a good point though.

You're right about Medea, but that was my point too. It's only in there to highlight the climax points of the western theme. And whatever storyline people see with the two characters I see as a short skit thrown in to enhance their theme. It's by no means a long and drawn out story. I think we can all agree on that.

I would also say that some of the best story telling done in DCI is when it's not that involving and when it's simple. Carolina this year doesn't ask us to know a lot about their beautiful western portrait. There is a fairly simply skit that we can pick up on, and there are wonderful soundscapes and visual tapestries being woven. It's the kind of thing you'd expect the Troopers to do. I've never seen anything like it and I absolutely love the show.

i think it makes the show more interesting when the details are somewhat left to the audience to interpret. sometimes too obvious just destroys things.

On the other hand, I saw the show three times in the first week. First viewing, I was lost. Second time, I spent the whole show just trying to figure out the narrative. Third time I gave up, and just tried to enjoy the show on merits outside of the narrative. I felt the show suffered from lack of character clarity.

Don't think of fantasy as supernatural in this case. Think of something left to the imagination of the viewer. Their own personal fantasy. The movies you reference above are fully developed stories. Also, a fantasy in musical form is a through-composed piece with only small melodic fragments recurring, although I'm not sure this is what Crown is trying to do musically. You definitely make a good point though.

You're right about Medea, but that was my point too. It's only in there to highlight the climax points of the western theme. And whatever storyline people see with the two characters I see as a short skit thrown in to enhance their theme. It's by no means a long and drawn out story. I think we can all agree on that.

I would also say that some of the best story telling done in DCI is when it's not that involving and when it's simple. Carolina this year doesn't ask us to know a lot about their beautiful western portrait. There is a fairly simply skit that we can pick up on, and there are wonderful soundscapes and visual tapestries being woven. It's the kind of thing you'd expect the Troopers to do. I've never seen anything like it and I absolutely love the show.

I want to love the show, I really do, but so far I don't get it. I really hope the story clears up by the next time I see them live early August.