I honestly prefer literal stories. The last couple years of the Colts (I'm biased), I loved the plot. Shows like 2014 Cavies, 2014 Blue Stars, 2016 Academy are also great examples of corps that tell a story without major "plot points" so to speak, but they still tell an easily followed story.

I did not follow 2014 Crown, and their show this year is frankly confusing...

I would be shocked if it was, just watched that show a few days ago and they did an incredible job of staging characters and events, their Alice was pretty much front and center in the drill the whole time.

Yo, can you shoot me a link to this? I'd love to see that show again. My dvd is long lost.

It's just the home video YouTube one.

https://youtu.be/_P8G90wWY1E

Am I remembering right you went to Tarpon?

Yep, that was my freshman year. I do think my experiences there shaped my opinion slightly on the storytelling aspect of show design

I honestly prefer literal stories. The last couple years of the Colts (I'm biased), I loved the plot.

My favorite Colts show is "Voices" from 1999.

It's fun to see a performance medium struggle with story and meaning. It's also fun to see musicians who are typically binary thinkers struggle with nonlinear concepts like story and meaning.

I created a machine to help show coordinators develop their show. Each dial on the machine represents the story/meaning components of a drum corps show. Each volulme knob can be set from 0-10, but a show must have at least two knobs set to 10 in order to succeed and "Meaning" should be one of them. If all knobs are set to ten, you may risk being too obvious and literal in your interp. This method of analysis helps binary thinkers get their mind around story components, balance, what works and why.

Here are the dials:

Theme 0-10

Story 0-10

Progression/Advancement/Heightening 0-10

Game/Pattern 0-10

Resolution/Anti-resolution 0-10

Meaning 0-10

I don't know, none of these go to 11.

• Like 2

It's fun to see a performance medium struggle with story and meaning. It's also fun to see musicians who are typically binary thinkers struggle with nonlinear concepts like story and meaning.

I created a machine to help show coordinators develop their show. Each dial on the machine represents the story/meaning components of a drum corps show. Each volulme knob can be set from 0-10, but a show must have at least two knobs set to 10 in order to succeed and "Meaning" should be one of them. If all knobs are set to ten, you may risk being too obvious and literal in your interp. This method of analysis helps binary thinkers get their mind around story components, balance, what works and why.

Here are the dials:

Theme 0-10

Story 0-10

Progression/Advancement/Heightening 0-10

Game/Pattern 0-10

Resolution/Anti-resolution 0-10

Meaning 0-10

So for example, with Bluecoats show Tilt, they had a theme of "Things that Tilt" which say is about a seven, not a ten because it didn't relate to anything. Story was a zero, clearly. No advancing of any kind of game, because they were tilting in the same way all the way through with no perceptible change, so zero. There was no pattern to understand-- no incidents that allowed the audience to predict what happens next, zero. And the Resolution was set to 10, with a huge ending set piece that made people stand up and scream which was a ten, (even though technically it didn't resolve anything, but hey people screamed.) And finally, their Meaning dial was set to zero, because the show was completely meaningless, except for the random meaning you applied to it in your own mind, but that doesn't count because this isn't a Rorschach test or a diaper blotch, it's a competitive performance art.

TILT

- - - - -

Edited by Channel3

OK, now do that for the rest of 2014's top twelve, so we can see why Bloo finished where they did relative to the field.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

So for example, with Bluecoats show Tilt, they had a theme of "Things that Tilt" which say is about a seven, not a ten because it didn't relate to anything. Story was a zero, clearly. No advancing of any kind of game, because they were tiling in the same way all the way through with no perceptible change, so zero. There was no pattern to understand-- no incidents that allowed the audience to predict what happens next, zero. And the Resolution was set to 10, with a huge ending set piece that made people stand up and scream which was a ten, (even though technically it didn't resolve anything, but hey people screamed.) And finally, their Meaning dial was set to zero, because the show was completely meaningless, except for the random meaning you applied to it in your own mind, but that doesn't count because this isn't a Rorschach test or a diaper blotch, it's a competitive performance art.

TILT

- - - - -

I was hoping to see a pinball machine in there at some point.

• Like 2