CONSISTENCY IN PLACEMENTS

In the Lucas Oil Stadium era (seven years, 2009-2015), there have only been seven corps in the top 5 -- Blue Devils (7 years (5)), Cadets (7 years (1)), Carolina Crown (7 years (1)), Santa Clara Vanguard (5 years), Bluecoats (4 years), The Cavaliers (3 years), Phantom Regiment (2 years). It does not appear that we'll see a change this year. [Three champions in this period.]

It might help to have a little more historical context for these statistics, so here are the same numbers for previous periods, and I've also noted the number of victories won by each corps in bold:

In the previous seven years (2002-2008), eight corps made the top 5 -- Blue Devils (7 years (2)), Cadets (7 years (1)), Cavaliers (7 years (3)), Santa Clara Vanguard (4 years), Phantom Regiment (7 years (1)), Bluecoats (2 years), Boston Crusaders (1 year), Carolina Crown (1 year). [Four champions in this period. Also one tie for fifth place, for those confused by the math here.]

In the seven years before that (1995-2001), eight corps again made the top 5 -- Blue Devils (7 years (3)), Cadets (7 years (2)), Cavaliers (6 years (3)), Santa Clara Vanguard (6 years (1)), Glassmen (3 years), Madison Scouts (2 year), Phantom Regiment (3 years (1)), Boston Crusaders (1 year). [Five champions in this period--including three ties for first.]

In the prior seven years (1988-1994), seven corps made the top 5 -- Blue Devils (7 years (1)), Cavaliers (7 years (1)), Cadets (6 years (2)), Phantom Regiment (5 years), Santa Clara Vanguard (4 years (1)), Star of Indiana (4 years (1)), Madison Scouts (2 years (1)). [Five champions in this period.]

In the seven years preceding that (1981-1987), eight corps made the top 5 -- Blue Devils (7 years (2)), Santa Clara Vanguard (7 years (1)), Cadets (6 years (4)), Madison Scouts (5 years), Phantom Regiment (5 years), Cavaliers (3 years), Suncoast Sound (1 year), 27th Lancers (1 year). [Three champions in this period.]

In the years numbering seven antecedent to that (1974-1980), eleven corps made the top 5 -- Blue Devils (6 years (4)), Santa Clara Vanguard (6 years (2)), Madison Scouts (5 years (1)), Phantom Regiment (5 years), 27th Lancers (5 years), Bridgemen (2 years), Spirit of Atlanta (2 years), Blue Stars (1 year), Kingsmen (1 year), Muchachos (1 year), Troopers (1 year). [Three champions in this period. The Bridgemen would have made the top five once more, having scored to place fourth in 1977, but were disqualified for marching overage members. If that score held, Scouts would drop to sixth that year.]

Finally, in DCI's first two years, 1972-1973, eight corps made the top 5 -- two years each for Blue Stars and Santa Clara Vanguard (1), and one year each for Argonne Rebels, Kilties, Kingsmen (1), Madison Scouts, Troopers, and 27th Lancers.

So for all but the first decade of DCI's history, the corps in the top 5 hold fairly steady over time. The championship was spread around a little bit more in the middle of those 44 years than at the beginning or end (to date).

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 4

Brasso - drum corps are more like club sports, than little leagues. Players can play on any team on which they can earn a spot, and switch one year to the next.

The selection process in even these " club sports " is totally unlike DCI... and which of these club sport leagues that have end of season playoff qualifications and championships, allow player transfers mid season ? None of them. None that I'm aware of anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

The selection process in even these " club sports " is totally unlike DCI... and which of these club sport leagues that have end of season playoff qualifications and championships, allow player transfers mid season ? none of them. None that I'm aware of anyway.

We have drum corps letting kids hop corps mid season? Maybe I miss understood what you said.

The selection process in even these " club sports " is totally unlike DCI... and which of these club sport leagues that have end of season playoff qualifications and championships, allow player transfers mid season ? None of them. None that I'm aware of anyway.

Again, how so?

DCI - you go to a camp, pay your camp fee, rehearse with the line, do a musical and visual audition, either get offered a contract or not.

Club soccer - you go to a tryout, pay your fee, play some scrimmage games while the coaches observe, either get offered a spot on the team or not.

• Like 1

While the perennial Corps in the upper echelon of DCI in May are out on the practice fields, most of the lower placing corps have most of their marchers dissecting frogs in biology classes or some such.

Eggggggggactly.

Yes there are very talented high school kids, no question about that. But when you're talking about creating shows of the complexity that we see now, with 160 marching members, you simply cannot field a medaling show with high school kids. They don't have the experience or the physical ability to learn shows fast enough to get that show on the field it a complete enough form.

For high school kid that can march with blue Devils, there are 100 that are marching with Pioneer.

Edited by MikeRapp

Thats kind of a broad brush you are painting this with. I have taught kids ( young teenagers ) as well as 20 somethings as well as Adults ( DCA) one would assume the older you get the better. Not true. Just look at the age restrictions Cadets 2 put on their corps and the success they are having in DCA. I get ya when you say those top corps can go after the college age kids and in the top corps there are more of that age there than younger ( exceptions of course ) but the same could be said of lower corps with older members.

AS far as HS bands and college bands. I would put a few HS bands up against some DCI corps let alone some college bands. A broad brush can't be used in this activity as we all can probably site opposing views form all sides.

With all that said even teaching adults doesn't mean there's an adult experience there either. I have seen adults in the activity that could learn a thing or 2 from some kids , and I don't mean marching or playing or spinning..lol

This is SO true. Being older just on it's own does not make you better. Great teachers make you better. Give the BD staff all the members in a BOA GN champion band and see what those HS kids can do their first year out. Give them those kids for 2 seasons in a row and I think it would shock a lot of folks who think that age and experience are everything.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Please -- nobody transfers mid season. Stop trying to bring it up.

• Like 1

Eggggggggactly.

Yes there are very talented high school kids, no question about that. But when you're talking about creating shows of the complexity that we see now, with 160 marching members, you simply cannot field a medaling show with high school kids. They don't have the experience or the physical ability to learn shows fast enough to get that show on the field it a complete enough form.

For high school kid that can march with blue Devils, there are 100 that are marching with Pioneer.

Maybe ask those who actually teach some of these kids you speak of. Most cops ( upper ) want older kids but not for the reasons you speak of. Again a very broad brush you paint with there.

This is SO true. Being older just on it's own does not make you better. Great teachers make you better. Give the BD staff all the members in a BOA GN champion band and see what those HS kids can do their first year out. Give them those kids for 2 seasons in a row and I it think would shock a lot of folks who think that age and experience are everything.

Of course, but that's not going to ever happen!

Blue Devils are going to sign experienced kids who have already figured out how to play in March at a medaling level. Of course they can teach the activity better than anyone, but that is what their lower corps is for.

Everybody is bringing up good thoughts here, and I don't disagree with what you are saying, but no one is telling me the average age of these corps. I'll bet my tickets to tonight's Nashville show that the average age is almost lockstep with average finish.

• Like 1