Open Class Mixing with World Class

I don't make many comments on this board, so please be kind. The idea that those low placing World Class corps should drop to Open and that the top in Open Class should make the jump might be missing the point. Pioneer know very well what they are and what they aren't. They provide the full tour (or modified version of it) to their group of students. That BDB or SCVC have the resources and talent to perform at such a high level given a modified touring - "Open Class" experience is great. The idea that the BD or SCV parent organizations would take on the full costs of multiple units traveling the full summer experience is also something to be remembered. Results alone don't make or break the competitive season, and there is a great value in the experience, even if passed up by other units at the end.

Very well said !!

• Like 1

I marched my last two years with SCV in the mid-80s, and as the parent of a SCVC 2016 trumpet here are my observations after watching their rehearsals, show warmups, etc.:

-- SCVC's food truck is smaller than the A-corps; they really need another Miss Amana 2. Where is my winning lottery ticket, lol!

-- they march fewer shows, so there's a sense of urgency

Other than that, the SCVC kids still get the full SC experience...they got to play Clowns and YNWA with Madison and SCV...the tradition is there...the whole Aussie & Feather/Man in the Hat thing...they prize the shields on their uniform, and it's a ceremony to get one...and, the concept of utmost class. Most if not all the instructional staff are SCVC and/or SCV alums; one of my brass instructors from the first year we got an Ott trophy is teaching my son this year. Mui Bueno!!

Then maybe those WC Corps who keep getting passed up shouldn't be WC, maybe those top OC Corps should get a shot at it.

There's a lot more to it than just scores. Like the "F" word - FINANCES!

• Like 1

I don't make many comments on this board, so please be kind. The idea that those low placing World Class corps should drop to Open and that the top in Open Class should make the jump might be missing the point. Pioneer know very well what they are and what they aren't. They provide the full tour (or modified version of it) to their group of students. That BDB or SCVC have the resources and talent to perform at such a high level given a modified touring - "Open Class" experience is great. The idea that the BD or SCV parent organizations would take on the full costs of multiple units traveling the full summer experience is also something to be remembered. Results alone don't make or break the competitive season, and there is a great value in the experience, even if passed up by other units at the end.

I agree...I asked a variation of this same question earlier in the season...some of the responses which I also agree with were...

"It'd require DCI to revamp their fee and pay structure, for one."
"I think many of the OC corps don't want to or can't commit to the full WC touring model."
"Open Class does not require the amount of touring World Class corps must do."
"Any OC corps who wants to march WC can apply to do so. Some like the feeder corps may never want or need to. The system works the way it is -- why change?"

It was reassuring as a div 2 MM to see your score above a div 1 and on the DC.

• Like 1

On the CD... not the DC

• Like 1

I agree...I asked a variation of this same question earlier in the season...some of the responses which I also agree with were...

"It'd require DCI to revamp their fee and pay structure, for one."

"I think many of the OC corps don't want to or can't commit to the full WC touring model."

"Open Class does not require the amount of touring World Class corps must do."

"Any OC corps who wants to march WC can apply to do so. Some like the feeder corps may never want or need to. The system works the way it is -- why change?"

Well the thing is that there is a reason why they are called BDB. They take the short tour to get the kids ready for the A corps essentially. Same with SCVC.

Pioneer has already been in open? Or division 2? It's the same way with wgi. Once you have climbed the latter, you cannot go back down.