Too many amplifiers?

Yes, it has also caused some problems with finding the right balance in terms of what to use, and how and when to use it. Their are corps using WAY too much synth bass. It's a problem and hopefully that will tone down over time. But I'm willing to put up with some of these mistakes if it means we get all the colors and cool ideas that electronics can bring.

Here's the thing, though: it was obvious to many, many observers way back in 2009 that bass synth was a problem.

I hadn't paid close attention to drum corps for some time before that, and I went to the Massillon contest that year, and I was stunned by all the nasty goo (which did not yet have that popular name). So were people sitting around me. Soon afterward, I first joined DCP and found that people were complaining about it regularly, and it continued to ruin large parts of many shows for three more seasons, only starting to come under control in about 2013.

So a great number of people could tell there was a problem. Now it's only an occasional nuisance (mainly in the early season). What the #@$% is wrong with DCI arranger/tech ears that they seemed unable to comprehend that fact for so long? Are they just deaf in the lower register?

(It's not completely gone. Mandarins, whom I'm listening to right now, overdo it at the end of their opener.)

• Like 1

I just can't fathom that the Cadets staff can observe the show day after day and think, "The bass synth is perfectly balanced and not too loud at all. This is fine."

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 4

When the first Synth player accurately hits the "Brown Note" they will be banned. :cool:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

This is the reaction I often see. "It's a cheap way out," "it's not needed," "they're doing it mainly to amp the bass," "it's cheating," and on and on.

Sorry, but no. It's much more complex than this. I've heard Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets, SCV, etc. live. Unplugged their horn lines would be incredibly powerful, and their percussion sections are incredible. So why use electronics and amps, because there may be musical textures better suited for such technology. A muted solo will sound better mic'd and allow the soloist to add inflections not possible if unplugged. The same is true if they want to add an effect to the solo. Soloists featured way back field no longer have to blow their brains out to be heard. The Cavaliers put a euphonium soloist way back field this year, and also a few years ago, and there is NO WAY that would have been audible without the mic. A more musical approach, I'd say.

This notion that a "real" drum corps blows its brains out, plays loud all the time, and is filled with real men back when the sheep were nervous is full of potholes, old stereotypes, and an overblown revision of what the "good ole days" used to be like. Technology has made a lot of things possible, and in my opinion a lot of things better.

Yes, it has also caused some problems with finding the right balance in terms of what to use, and how and when to use it. Their are corps using WAY too much synth bass. It's a problem and hopefully that will tone down over time. But I'm willing to put up with some of these mistakes if it means we get all the colors and cool ideas that electronics can bring.

The activity is different now. It's still called drum & bugle corps, but that doesn't mean we ONLY get drums and brass on the field. The guard and pit have changed drastically over the years, and the scoring of visual programs and the overall general effect is often more critical to scoring than just being good at brass and drums. Cadets almost won both brass and drums last year and would have still ended up in 4th place. Now you can add electronics and amplification advancements. I kind of like it. It's new, cool, refreshing, and opening up the creative flood gates. I personally have NO desire to go back to 1970s drum corps, or the 80s. It's neat once in a while to see a throwback show, but if everyone did it I believe it would get old fast.

It's always better to let things advance, even if there are growing pains. If at some point things cycle around to a style similar to the 80s but with some added features, then so be it. But the process has to take us there, and that process should allow composers, drill writers, designers, and teachers to use the tools of the day.

I heart you

I just can't fathom that the Cadets staff can observe the show day after day and think, "The bass synth is perfectly balanced and not too loud at all. This is fine."

Didn't bother me at Allentown and I'm quick to blast abuse

I'm ok with tasty synth and electronics, but I'm not a fan of the idea that a corps can win high brass and percussion and finish 4th unless their visual execution is pretty mediocre....this may speak to an overemphasis on GE in the sheets.