Next Corps To Make Finals For First Time

I'm not for automatic promotion and relegation. WC, in order to acquire those show fees, makes corps take on an aggressive touring schedule. Some OC groups are just not ready for that.

That said, the original intent for WC was for DCI to charge premium prices for a premium product, and there *was* supposed to be a periodic review to make sure a situation like Pioneer didn't happen.

Mike

But if the only criteria is last years placement, there would be no requirement for a prolonged touring schedule. Another way to look at it, BDB was within 3 points of making finals,with a limited touring schedule. IMO, regardless of their own philosophy, they are a World Class corps by their placement. If they would have made finals, would DCI still consider them an Open Class corps? Yes, because BDB gets to decide that, regardless of the fairness to other Open Class corps. IMO, that is wrong.

Edited by DAvery

But if the only criteria is last years placement, there would be no requirement for a prolonged touring schedule. Another way to look at it, BDB was within 3 points of making finals,with a limited touring schedule. Regardless of their own philosophy, they are a World Class corps by their placement. If they would have made finals, would DCI still consider them an Open Class corps? Yes, because BDB gets to decide that, regardless of the fairness to other Open Class corps. IMO, that is wrong.

A corps has to apply to be full time WC. They don't get bumped because class has nothing to do with the on field product. If it did, look down the rankings

I really want to say Oregon Crusaders, I think their musical construction is pretty amazing every year, they have fantastic brass and percussion, and the guard is improving regardless of scores. They just have to find a way to compete visually and with their late state every year. I think if they tone down the visual program and are smart with it design wise, that can work.

Mandarins are putting together a REALLY strong top to bottom product now, for two years straight. That's really promising. Their guard has gotten WAY better too, something you need. They're on my radar.

Pacific Crest put together a really fun and strong show, just amp up the depth and difficulty and they'll climb the ranks.

But if Blue Devils B REALLY wanted to make finals, they could totally do it. This show was probably the best Open Class performance and design I have ever seen. There are a few OC shows I enjoyed more, but for the last three years, holy crap have the top groups in OC gotten good.

I would have said Genesis a little farther in the future, but with how much Legends are growing, improving, and designing at a higher level, their trend is pretty drastic. If you watch their Cathedral show from 2014, you can't even tell this is the same corps except for uniforms.

Genesis just has to find a way to finish their season out. They finished strong again this year, but they just don't QUITE reach the level of cleanliness that I think they will at the end of the season.

Edited by DrumManTx

A corps has to apply to be full time WC. They don't get bumped because class has nothing to do with the on field product. If it did, look down the rankings

Under the current system that's true. But that is not what I was talking about. I was talking about a system that decides World Class and Open Class status based purely on placement at championships.

I really want to say Oregon Crusaders, I think their musical construction is pretty amazing every year, they have fantastic brass and percussion, and the guard is improving regardless of scores. They just have to find a way to compete visually and with their late state every year. I think if they tone down the visual program and are smart with it design wise, that can work.

Mandarins are putting together a REALLY strong top to bottom products now, for two years straight. That's really promising. Their guard has gotten WAY better too, something you need. They're on my radar.

Pacific Crest put together a really fun and strong show, just amp up the depth and difficulty and they'll climb the ranks.

But if Blue Devils B REALLY wanted to make finals, they could totally do it. This show was probably the best Open Class performance and design I have ever seen. There are a few OC shows I enjoyed more, but for the last three years, holy crap have the top groups in OC gotten good.

I would have said Genesis a little farther in the future, but with how much Legends are growing, improving, and designing at a higher level, their trend is pretty drastic. If you watch their Cathedral show from 2014, you can't even tell this is the same corps except for uniforms.

Genesis just has to find a way to finish their season out. They finished strong again this year, but they just don't QUITE reach the level of cleanliness that I think they will at the end of the season.

Yeah again, I think either Oregon, Mands or BDB will be the next and I TOTALLY agree with you that if BDB wants to make finals, they will get it done. The fact that the design and staff can get such a performance out of these kids is absolutely astounding. The whole organization impresses me beyond belief.

As for Oregon, yep, the late start is killing them. Gotta find a way around it. Still, let's not forget they just completed only their 4th season in WC. The folks who run that corps know what they're doing. I'm sure there will be some serious considerations from now until 2017 gets underway. Design is key.

Mandarins looked beautiful out there this year. I just loved their visual package and they earned their record year. They put out a lot of sound but, to my ear, were musically less sophisticated than OC. It will be interesting to see which of these corps follows the how-to-make-finals blueprint that Academy just provided!

Edited by luv4corps

If BDB is reclassified as World Class, do they get their share of the WC income?

I assume they would. I believe in the current system World Class corps get paid and Open Class corps do not (Which IMO is wrong). So even if an Open Class corps made finals, they would not receive their share of the income unless they declared World Class for the next season.

Under the current system that's true. But that is not what I was talking about. I was talking about a system that decides World Class and Open Class status based purely on placement at championships.

You will never, ever see such a system. Competitive success is not a criteria for the World Class evaluation process, and likely never will be. Not only is that by design, it's absolutely the right way to go. World Class is about the ability to financially and responsibly give a world-class experience and world-class tour to your membership.