Next Corps To Make Finals For First Time

Talking to some former and current members, the move to world class could be sooner than many think.

Members aside, it will be up the WC corps to decide if they want to share cash with another corps.

Besides, Open Class is thriving right now. It has always been that way. Too soon to even think about plucking another corps out of Open.

If Glassmen come back, would they count as a new corps? 0_0

I believe so. The bankruptcy dissolved everything. But, WHEN the Glassmen do come back - and believe they WILL come back, it will be with as much enthusiasm as we've seen for any new corps. There are many G-Men fans out here. Most likely the path will be through Sound Sport. And that, I think, would be the best way to go.

• Like 1

It costs a boatload of $$ to mount a national tour.

But if only placement at nationals determines class, why would you need to do a "national tour"?

I believe so. The bankruptcy dissolved everything. But, WHEN the Glassmen do come back - and believe they WILL come back, it will be with as much enthusiasm as we've seen for any new corps. There are many G-Men fans out here. Most likely the path will be through Sound Sport. And that, I think, would be the best way to go.

Yep, start small and gradually build it back. Corps that take their time building themselves up for Div. I usually fair better and last longer than those that try to come back too fast and/or make the jump up too soon.

Either the Mandarins or BDB on an exceptional year.

Mandarins have proven they can hang around long-term and are on the right path. BDB has the organizational support, staff and, frankly, world class membership in their ranks. It's very possible that they can make it happen in the right year.

I've seen a lot of people throw out Oregon Crusaders, and while I would like to see that happen, it simply won't happen until they have earlier move-ins.

Mandarins or Oregon Crusaders

My hope is Mandarins.

I do.n't think it will be Blue Devils B. For one thing I am not certain the Blue Devils organization wants that to happen, and if it did, it would have happened already, especially if BDB was a key to getting into BD itself. Two corps from the same organization could cause huge tensions and conflicts of interest in an organization often praised for being cohesive.

The last time we had a new finalist was 2002 Seattle Cascades, Academy was just in formation. So I would look at the newer corps, maybe Guardians or Louisiana Stars. I wouldn't overlook the possibility of Legends or Genesis either. Open Class had huge talent this past year.

My hope is Mandarins.

I do.n't think it will be Blue Devils B. For one thing I am not certain the Blue Devils organization wants that to happen, and if it did, it would have happened already, especially if BDB was a key to getting into BD itself. Two corps from the same organization could cause huge tensions and conflicts of interest in an organization often praised for being cohesive.

The last time we had a new finalist was 2002 Seattle Cascades, Academy was just in formation. So I would look at the newer corps, maybe Guardians or Louisiana Stars. I wouldn't overlook the possibility of Legends or Genesis either. Open Class had huge talent this past year.

I agree that it's going to cause a lot of consternation if/when it happens. But still BDB's goal is to win Open Class each year. If OC competition is getting tougher, then they have to aim higher each year. If the top of OC is improving faster than the not-quite-finalists tier of WC, then one of these years...