2017 PREDICTIONS!

I don't know where these ageout figures for THE ACADEMY are coming from!? The Truth Is....they had only 11 that is ELEVEN TOTAL AGEOUTS.... ONLY 2 that is T W O of which were Brass members!. FYI; over 200 brass folks showed up for last weekends ACADEMY Brass auditions close to 50 Auditoned for Drum Major.

You also have to think of attrition as well. Off hand, I know of 3 members who auditioned/made and accepted a spot in a top 6 corps instead of returning to Academy.

You also have to think of attrition as well. Off hand, I know of 3 members who auditioned/made and accepted a spot in a top 6 corps instead of returning to Academy.

Agreed...this is often overlooked when looking at this...but it has been going on for decades...

Yes from that perspective I'd agree that makes sense...but that financial success is perhaps only a short term bump...not something that I'd imagine to be sustainable and certain...

I look at it like this. Let's say a WC corps has 1,000 auditionees. All pay a $150 registration fee. All attend an experience camp at $125. Lets say 700 attend a callback camp at $125. Then maybe final cuts aren't made until January or February, so figure 300 at each of those @ $125. After that with alternates maybe 180 per camp for March, April and May.

150,000 + (registration)

125,000 + (experience camps)

87,500 + (call back camp)

75,000 + (late cuts Jan/Feb)

67,500 (remaining camps till Spring Training)

That's $505,000 of fairly predictable income for those corps generating large audition numbers. Not a momentary bump. Even if the numbers come down 20% across the board you are looking at $400,000.

Assuming you are paying 20 staff an average of $150 per camp for the early camps, then 12 the same for the other camps and allotting a generous $5,000 per camp for airfare, your total in for staffing is $20K or less. Then it is just paying facility fees and food costs. Even if that is $4k per camp, you are looking at only another $30K or less.

Conservative estimate is $300,000 - $350,000 in potential net revenue to apply toward design, the summer, equipment, whatever. Pretty good approach.

I have watched it at work. It provides good cash flow and strengthens the financial foundation during the slow income months from other sources.

I look at it like this. Let's say a WC corps has 1,000 auditionees. All pay a $150 registration fee. All attend an experience camp at $125. Lets say 700 attend a callback camp at $125. Then maybe final cuts aren't made until January or February, so figure 300 at each of those @ $125. After that with alternates maybe 180 per camp for March, April and May.

150,000 + (registration)

125,000 + (experience camps)

87,500 + (call back camp)

75,000 + (late cuts Jan/Feb)

67,500 (remaining camps till Spring Training)

That's $505,000 of fairly predictable income for those corps generating large audition numbers. Not a momentary bump. Even if the numbers come down 20% across the board you are looking at $400,000.

Assuming you are paying 20 staff an average of $150 per camp for the early camps, then 12 the same for the other camps and allotting a generous $5,000 per camp for airfare, your total in for staffing is $20K or less. Then it is just paying facility fees and food costs. Even if that is $4k per camp, you are looking at only another $30K or less.

Conservative estimate is $300,000 - $350,000 in potential net revenue to apply toward design, the summer, equipment, whatever. Pretty good approach.

I have watched it at work. It provides good cash flow and strengthens the financial foundation during the slow income months from other sources.

I don't buy these numbers...hypothetical example doesn't make sense to me...from year to year there is just no certainty in this regard as to numbers...which is my point...

Surprisingly or more alarmingly IMO...The Academy is the ONLY corps that I am aware of that charges for REGISTRATION...I may be wrong if others speak up on that...

Attention All World Class Corps...here is your new cash cow opportunity...charge for just the opportunity itself...not for the actual audition...looks like their trying to get rich at the misfortune and expense of others...those that are realistically not going to ever make it...am I looking at this wrong?...you tell me...I've been wrong before...

Yeah, I understand that corps need to make money. I think it is ridiculous that they need to charge for auditions. If they really need to charge, then make it 1 fee. Not multiple fees for housing, food and audition materials etc. I dont know though just my opinion.

I don't buy these numbers...hypothetical example doesn't make sense to me...from year to year there is just no certainty in this regard as to numbers...which is my point...

Surprisingly or more alarmingly IMO...The Academy is the ONLY corps that I am aware of that charges for REGISTRATION...I may be wrong if others speak up on that...

Attention All World Class Corps...here is your new cash cow opportunity...charge for just the opportunity itself...not for the actual audition...looks like their trying to get rich at the misfortune and expense of others...those that are realistically not going to ever make it...am I looking at this wrong?...you tell me...I've been wrong before...

I do not know of a corps which DOESN'T charge a registration fee. My daughter has been through 2 and I have worked at three in the past 5 years. All had a registration fee. There are so may prospective members who flll out an interest form that you need a way to discern those with a true committed interest.

As shocking as it may be to you, I know what I have paid and the organizations I have been with have charged. The one I am most proud of is the corps which charged only $25 per camp after the auditions. Not making money off the already taxed membership, just covering costs.

My point was that for many of the corps (WC especially), this model is part of their annual financial plan. Getting interest and high volumes of auditionees helps insure the bills are paid and that the corps travels and eats well.

Only 200?...didn't someone say they were going to have about 700 or more auditionees?....sounds like just a lot of audition hype...of course quality trumps quantity in this regard anyway...

Correct. Vets are great but all you need is 150 dedicated hardworking MMs of the caliber a specific corps requires and a great design. I always laughed when corps X gets 1200 at auditions camps and comes in xx th place in aug. It's quality as you said. Edited by Tobias