2017 PREDICTIONS!

Just now, LabMaster said:

You derided the opinions of others because you require specificity to validate observations and question.  I and others see what we see.  It doesn't change or diminish what we see when we see dirt. We know what is considered to be dirt and don't need to explain it to you and your demand justify it.

My friend,

Yes, I did deride the unspecified opinions of others... and I explained why.  There is nothing wrong with that (in fact a number of reasonable people agreed with the general point that I was making).  As for what you (and others) see... that's wonderful.  I have no intentions of diminishing what you see.  But, this is a forum.  I have intentions to discuss things.  It's not possible to discuss or dispute such a vague concept.  Therefore, I made the point that such statements really weren't credible without explanation.  That's true.  I don't claim that you do or don't know what you are seeing.   Quite the opposite, I assume that you are a fan, maybe a veteran or current member, and a knowledgeable lover of the activity.  But my assumptions don't mean jack squat without you (or anybody) providing something real to talk about.  None of us should expect that we might get away with hanging a generality in a forum (particularly one that seems to call foul) and then not be criticized for it.

Now since this is a prediction forum, and I haven't been doing any predicting lately...

I predict that someone IN THE FUTURE will write on DCP that corps X was "dirty", "flat", "boring", "confusing", "insert vague critique", giving no explanation or invite of any discussion on the matter... expecting everybody to accept their conclusion.  I also predict that they will defensively bawl with great contempt when they get called out for it... instead of simply providing more information on their opinion for the group to discuss.

I bet my prediction comes true before the rest!

16 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

My friend,

Yes, I did deride the unspecified opinions of others... and I explained why.  There is nothing wrong with that (in fact a number of reasonable people agreed with the general point that I was making).  As for what you (and others) see... that's wonderful.  I have no intentions of diminishing what you see.  But, this is a forum.  I have intentions to discuss things.  It's not possible to discuss or dispute such a vague concept.  Therefore, I made the point that such statements really weren't credible without explanation.  That's true.  I don't claim that you do or don't know what you are seeing.   Quite the opposite, I assume that you are a fan, maybe a veteran or current member, and a knowledgeable lover of the activity.  But my assumptions don't mean jack squat without you (or anybody) providing something real to talk about.  None of us should expect that we might get away with hanging a generality in a forum (particularly one that seems to call foul) and then not be criticized for it.

Now since this is a prediction forum, and I haven't been doing any predicting lately...

I predict that someone IN THE FUTURE will write on DCP that corps X was "dirty", "flat", "boring", "confusing", "insert vague critique", giving no explanation or invite of any discussion on the matter... expecting everybody to accept their conclusion.  I also predict that they will defensively bawl with great contempt when they get called out for it... instead of simply providing more information on their opinion for the group to discuss.

I'd dismiss the folks saying Coats were a "dirty champion" as frankly not really knowing what they are talking about & just move on

The complexity and challenge in Coats program and the massive level of exposure is just lost or not fully appreciated by some

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

My friend,

You're special. 

Just now, LabMaster said:

You're special. 

That makes two people that think so... You and my mother.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

That makes two people that think so... You and my mother.

And me. 

• Like 2

1. Devs - the odds are in their favor. If they aren't 2nd, they're probably first
2. Coats - they are the reigning champs, but have yet to prove that they belong at the top. A questionably dirty finals performance has left some with doubts
3. Vanguard - a 50th anniversary push will be enough to get them out of their 4th place rut but not much further. I think devs and coats have had more going for them in the last 5 years than SCV
4. Crown - Out of the top four, they have had the most volatile/varying placements since 2013 (1st, 5th, 2nd, 3rd). Its hard to predict where they end up, but consistency is key and they have not shown it.
5. Cadets - they haven't given us reason to believe they will pull off anything astounding, but the talent is undeniable. I don't anticipate them dropping as far as people expect, but i don't expect them to make any huge moves
6. BK - anything could happen. Their percussion section is undeniably strong, but a number of people felt that last year's show design was a swing and a miss. They have the talent but need to push back in to the top 6
7. Cavies - seemingly on the rise with a lot of talent. They just need to prove that they can keep consistent with last years performance and solidify their spot
8. Academy - coming off their first finals appearance, this corps will be hungry to solidify their spot in the top 12. Now that they know where their potential lies, they can be expected to take their consistently amazing show designs and add a great level of difficulty to it
9. Phantom - A consistent contender in the 7-10 placement range. They've been relatively quiet in the last few years and haven't shown signs of ramping up 
10. Stars - A consistent 7 - 10 contender (I admittedly have not kept up much with the Blue Stars)
11. Boston - People have been hyping this corps solely on the staff changes that have been made. Staff changes will be one of the least decisive factors in pushing a corps forwards, however I believe they will battling it out with the other corps in the 9 - 12 range.
12. Madison - Again, another corps who has had varying placements throughout the years. It's always a good bet to expect Madison on finals night. They will surely be pushing the envelope to affirm their place in the top 12

29 minutes ago, gentle123 said:

1. Devs - the odds are in their favor. If they aren't 2nd, they're probably first
2. Coats - they are the reigning champs, but have yet to prove that they belong at the top. A questionably dirty finals performance has left some with doubts
3. Vanguard - a 50th anniversary push will be enough to get them out of their 4th place rut but not much further. I think devs and coats have had more going for them in the last 5 years than SCV
4. Crown - Out of the top four, they have had the most volatile/varying placements since 2013 (1st, 5th, 2nd, 3rd). Its hard to predict where they end up, but consistency is key and they have not shown it.
5. Cadets - they haven't given us reason to believe they will pull off anything astounding, but the talent is undeniable. I don't anticipate them dropping as far as people expect, but i don't expect them to make any huge moves
6. BK - anything could happen. Their percussion section is undeniably strong, but a number of people felt that last year's show design was a swing and a miss. They have the talent but need to push back in to the top 6
7. Cavies - seemingly on the rise with a lot of talent. They just need to prove that they can keep consistent with last years performance and solidify their spot
8. Academy - coming off their first finals appearance, this corps will be hungry to solidify their spot in the top 12. Now that they know where their potential lies, they can be expected to take their consistently amazing show designs and add a great level of difficulty to it
9. Phantom - A consistent contender in the 7-10 placement range. They've been relatively quiet in the last few years and haven't shown signs of ramping up 
10. Stars - A consistent 7 - 10 contender (I admittedly have not kept up much with the Blue Stars)
11. Boston - People have been hyping this corps solely on the staff changes that have been made. Staff changes will be one of the least decisive factors in pushing a corps forwards, however I believe they will battling it out with the other corps in the 9 - 12 range.
12. Madison - Again, another corps who has had varying placements throughout the years. It's always a good bet to expect Madison on finals night. They will surely be pushing the envelope to affirm their place in the top 12

Thanks. I had lost track of the idea that this was the Predictions space. :whistle:

Academy at #8 is on the bold side. But good predictions lists need something like that. I worry the d--- word in the Coats explanation is only going to prompt someone to prolong our agony.

I think when people make their predictions, a lot of people underestimate the difference the new staffs (staves?) at Boston will make. Not only is it huge in terms of the instructional spectrum, but it's also a huge recruiting plus. I know the brass staff at least was going into auditions with the mindset of "if they wouldn't have made Cadets, they're not making Boston." It's not like they're using the same talent that Boston's had in years past. The staffs make a difference in recruiting. Trust me.

• Like 1

Just now, Tobias said:

And me. 

Dad?

• Like 1