Staff merri-go-round

Sure but I was talking more about the fact that Hopkins replaced Gino Cipriani and company with the crew they announced tonight. Kids following Gino suddenly seems much more likely than it did a few days ago, just my opinion from the outside.

There will be Cadets marching BAC no doubt in 2017. There will be Crown kids marching BAC in 2017. Probably more than Cadets. BAC talent level will surge. No doubt. And there will be 100s of kids that want to be Cadets and Crownies. It will all come down to ........design.

Michael Terry was one of my brass staff members at Troopers before he returned to the Cadets. The guy very literally grew up in drum corps (spent years on the road with corps as a kid before marching 7 years as a cadets member). He is an amazing teacher and I can't wait to see what he does!

He's young but very talented. Kids love him. He can be the next big guy at Cadets like Tom Aungst who marched and then taught. Micheal Terry marched 7 years AS a Cadet in Gino's brass line. He picked up a thing or two 😉
  • Like 1

True, last time this happened like this was Star of Indiana in the 80's, hence the criticism by others in Drum Corps community. Imagine DCP in existence back then?

Lots of fans/ alums of the current non top tier Corps... and Open Class Corps alums/ fans...and especially the many alums/ fans of the many, many disbanded Corps.. are actually getting a kick out of Boston being able to position themselves like this. The old timers and the older Corps alums/ fans know the hardships, struggles Boston has been through over the years. This is not a Daddys Bucks Drum Corps..... far from it. What Boston did, they did with sweat equity over a few years of time and with intelligent, saavy, proper planning. A few fans/ alums of the few Corps at the very top of DCI have been caught off guard by this, and at the moment might be a bit understandably jealous, or bitter, or shocked or whatever, and might make a few intemperate remarks, and said under somewhat understandable duress and/ or disappointment, but the overall sentiment from the other Corps alums/ fans is much more supportive in seeing Boston finally in a position to do this. Its inspiring to all the non top tier Drum Corps alums & their fans, really. Its motivational. It gives THEM needed hope too. Its encouraging... and in my view, good for the DCI Community's health and stability of the entire activity itself.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Well Madison and SCV have assembled "dream teams" and SCV still hadn't medaled and Madison had a little pop fell back down so yes... BAC looks impressive but they still need to come up with a fresh concept for Boston like the Bloo team did because "conquest" ain't gonna do it.

SCV has been in the top 5 and higher since 2012...if you call that a failure of a "dream team"...coupled with their Fred Sanford Award for Best Percussion this past season...that is really sad!..honestly it just makes you sound bitter IMO...just ask the other 17+ corps whether they would like to be in 4th or 5th place...and see that accomplishment as a big failure...just not a very credible statement on your part IMO

• Like 6

SCV has been in the top 5 and higher since 2012...if you call that a failure of a "dream team"...coupled with their Fred Sanford Award for Best Percussion this past season...that is really sad!..honestly it just makes you sound bitter IMO...just ask the other 17+ corps whether they would like to be in 4th or 5th place...and see that accomplishment as a big failure...just not a very credible statement on your part IMO

Best point on this topic!! Top 3 is enormous, but top 5 consistently? Still enormous! There can only be 3 corps to medal and I'm pretty sure the current top 3 are the best of all time. Beating any of them is a tall task, but 4th place after locking down 5th for awhile is a great start!

• Like 4

Actually, I like that prediction. Swap Boston and SCV

Michael Terry has already proven himself at Cadets where he's taught the mellophone/French horn line the past two seasons.

He grew up in Cadets, learned from Gino, Dean Westman, and a number of the best. If alums worry about keeping Cadet traditions, having Michael present with daily input should diminish some of the frustrations. He has been quite popular and well liked by the MMs of Cadets '15 and '16 both as their advocate and instructor.

Michael has also proven himself at The Troopers where mentioning his name still brings a genuflection from horn players and alums there. His quest for communication, clarity, tonality, and care for the members is a journey he has worked hard to perfect in 2 beloved corps and many of the h.s. bands with which he works during the off season.

If the talent is retained in the line, I think he will continue the verve and excellence one has experienced and expects from Cadets' brass.

• Like 1