Staff merri-go-round

Maxed out my likes for the day, but thanks. We both have our own views (mine are right! :cool: )​, but as you say, we try not to be disagreeable (too often!).

You are far more appealing to me when you agree with everything I post. So please get with the program! ( haha!)

• Like 1

No offense, but you have no idea what the __ you're talking about.

BD's staff is homegrown. They DEVELOPED those people. Cavaliers, at the time the G7 came along, had a long history of alums running their program for little or NO pay. Regiment is not known as a high-roller. Crown and Bluecoats both know what it means to stretch a dollar into a dollar twenty. SCV has a reputation for being one of the most professionally-managed organizations in the activity, a rep that goes back to the 1970s. YEA pays one person well, but their staff has a history of working as hard as anyone in the activity for not that much money.

None of them have ever bought their way to a title. They developed their staff and management teams to get there. Good luck to Boston, it would be great to see them competing again as a top tier corps (really, it would). But there's no point trying to pretend that the most competitively successful corps in the modern era got where they are by simply buying talent for more money than the smaller corps could afford. They didn't.

It's the same corps that saw fit to drag their members into this same mindset (by putting a G7 into their program).

I'm always more interested in the walk than the talk.

• Like 1

Please Gawd, no more GH and Co cooking up things behind closed doors in attempts to bury Boston and all the other non G7 Corps, including all the Open Class Corps. Play nice. This is the GAME the elites cooked up a long time ago. Boston is playing by the rules that mostly the elites hatched.. Turnabout is fair game. Welcome to the new reality. Game on.

Whats so unusual about it. You actually think Cadets Crown or anyone else will take anything lying down? I thought you have been around since dirt?...lol

• Like 1

Whats so unusual about it. You actually think Cadets Crown or anyone else will take anything lying down? I thought you have been around since dirt?...lol

well - Crown is always rolling around on the ground right?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

Minor miracle, really. Not many people know, but from 1957-1971, BD were a highly successful drum and bell corps with a top drum line and color guard, and a long history of winning. Transitioning into bugles was really the only big hurdle. It was certainly fortunate that people like Wayne Downey, Mike Moxley, Fred Sanchez, Jim Ott, Mel Stratton, and others had the opportunity to cut their teeth as new instructors with a well-managed and talented new corps. Mind you, these were the days where you weren't picking and choosing your people. A good deal of the 1976 horn line were bugle players. They were handed a horn and taught to play. Even more, a testament to the *teaching* capabilities of the staff.

I will concede that it's harder now to "climb the ladder" than back in those days...less corps, more financial pressure than ever, and a huge talent pool that the upper corps can dip into at will. But, despite that fact, it still is a matter of the right staff and member talent coming together. Boston has a high profile staff now...can they work together? My money says "yes", but will the particular mix lead to titles? Something to watch for sure.

That's what I meant when I said talent. A hornline taught by Downey and Ott together? Seriously? That's like saying, oh hey, we're a little league baseball team that had Bryce Harper *and* Joey Gallo *and* Kris Bryant on it at the same time (which also actually happened). It's insane. And wonderful. But insane.

• Like 1

That's what I meant when I said talent. A hornline taught by Downey and Ott together? Seriously? That's like saying, oh hey, we're a little league baseball team that had Bryce Harper *and* Joey Gallo *and* Kris Bryant on it at the same time (which also actually happened). It's insane. And wonderful. But insane.

. You said Kris Bryant...<3 <3

No offense, but you have no idea what the __ you're talking about.

Nobody likes the idea of a transfer policy... a policy absence that drove kids from the lower corps every year in a pilgimmage to the higher placing Corps because these Corps had the attractive, skilled staffs, and a culture that treated staffers and marchers with respect and dignity. So Boston worked their butts off to be in a position to be a future home to staff that want to work for a Boston Crusaders organization that intends to treat them and marchers with dignity, respect, and opportunities to explore their creativities without unneccessary meddling from Mgt, on how to do their jobs. Boston built this during a period when a few others were essentially attempting to put in place things behind closed doors that would have buried DCI, and the non G7, and the Open Class, and the Open Class Corps. Boston did not put themselves in a better financial situation with any assistance from the G7. This week was a couple of years in the planning by the Boston Crusaders. The anger found on here by just a handful of posters is because 2 Corps were caught unprepared by this August Surprise. Well guess what ? Boston was caught unprepared for the G7 surprise foisted upon them and 37 other Corps a couple of years back as well. Boston and the others came out ok in the end on that however... I suspect Crown and Cadets will be just fine as well. Everybody should just relax. Competition is a GOOD thing, and this shake up is just what the doctor ordered in my opinion. Not just for the Boston Crusaders, but for DCI and indirectly, for all the other former non G7 Corps as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

. Am I going to have to get you two a room? LOLOL

My wife will call Lucas Security.

• Like 1

Nobody likes the idea of a transfer policy... a policy absence that drove kids from the lower corps every year in a pilgimmage to the higher placing Corps because these Corps had the attractive, skilled staffs, and a culture that treated staffers and marchers with respect and dignity. So Boston worked their butts off to be in a position to be a future home to staff that want to work for a Boston Crusaders organization that intends to treat them with dignity, respect, and opportunities to explore their creativities without unneccessary meddling from Mgt, on how to do their jobs. Boston built this during a period of when a few others were essentially attempting to put in place things that would have buried DCI, and the non G7, and the Open Class. Boston did not put themselves in a better financial situation from any assistance from the G7. This week was a couple of years in the planning by the Boston Crusaders. The anger found on here is because 2 Corps were caught unprepared by this August Surprise. Well guess what ? Boston was caught unprepared for the G7 surprise foisted upon them and 37 other Corps a couple of years back. Boston and the others cane out ok in the end on this... I suspect Crown and Cadets will be just fine as well. Everybody should just relax. Competition is a GOOD thing, and this shake up is just what the doctor ordered in my opinion. Not just for the Boston Crusaders, but for DCI and all the other former non G7 Corps.

Boston can't be feeling too bad about the G7, considering how much they spent to fly BD out to their show last year. I suspect there's more bitterness about it among old drum corps people than among any of the actual corps.

• Like 1