2017 Boston Crusaders

Kevin Russell -

What a wonderful compilation of your experiences on the road!  You are a fine writer and gave me an enjoyable read. You describe many of the "behind the scenes" aspects I wish everyone could get to know better. I always encourage those attending Allentown to roam around the bus area outside the gate and throughout the adjacent park. It's an eye-opener. To see all of this coming together, the "best of the best" young adults America has to offer, and the many generous volunteers, etc. is something to behold. Not to mention, the very young, new fans watching whose eyes seem to say "This is what I'd like to do when I'm older!"

Your piece reminds me of one of the best college football reads I've ever encountered. The book, Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer, by Warren St. John, is a must for every college football fan. One doesn't have to be an Alabama fan, by the way. It's an insight into fans of every team. Here, you've provided a Boston Crusaders look at the rest of the story. You might be talking about most any of the DCI corps. Truly, an incredible process here, underneath the costumes.  A story that must be told, and I thank you for taking the time.

Please write again!

• Like 2

Thank you, Fred. I was shooting for the general appeal, trying to strike a balance between those in the know and those uninitiated. I love all the corps, but clearly this piece has a BAC bend. Awesome people from top to bottom! And, they are having a remarkable year.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

Hi Folks,

I wanted to share with you my experience volunteering with the BAC for their first four shows in June out in the Midwest through the Muncie show. I wrote a daily blog that I have compiled into this diary-style essay and posted at the link below. It was a real privilege to get to know the professional staff and many of the members of the corps. As you may surmise after reading my entries, I am rather a newbie and somewhat of an interloper into this highly traditional BAC family that I have come to respect greatly but may not yet be fully indoctrinated in the lore. I hope everyone reads it with that understanding.

The kids were very happy and upbeat when I left them in Muncie and their continued improved scores show how much they are enjoying performing Wicked Games. I can’t wait to see them again. I have 50-yd line seats for Clifton, NJ, Allentown, PA, Rome, NY and Massillon, OH. What a run that will be. Go BAC!

http://www.starkmountainproductions.com/BAC/Intro.html

Yours was a fantastic blog read by a Corps volunteer while on tour, Kevin Russell. I enjoyed reading it as many others have. .. and incidentally, thank you for your volunteering. Its really terrific when so many people such as yourself volunteer their time and effort like this during the season , and Corps really do appreciate such efforts too. Thanks again for both your volunteering this summer and for the interesting read with your summer experience on tour with the Boston Crusaders!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

While I'm not a complete DCI noob, I have never been as close to the action until my son started marching (2nd year BAC brass this year).  That said, I hear often about 'politics' in the judging of these amazing corps.  In no way am I impugning the system's integrity.  I welcome your POV and any insight into this topic.

If I am off-topic in any way, please delete with extreme prejudice. 

Thank-you and very well written, Kevin Russell, and as to Fred Windishes's excellent point, I would only add; not only "America's best to offer"..membership (and alumni) are global. Heiwa!

21 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Volunteers are the unsung heroes of DCI...corps don't get down the road without them. 

Vollies rule! BAC has an astoundingly selfless group. Much appreciated by all.

• Like 2

Alright Boston congrats 

• Like 4