2017 Boston Crusaders

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just watched BAC in Orlando on YouTube.  The show is fantastic.  The guard is very creative and that ending....omg. 

I am utterly amazed at the guard book in every respect. The concepts, the difficulty, the performances and the many props. It's Crown level.

My only criticism is that it seems they play so little music. I want to hear so much more of this brass line.

This show is a really smart design with a killer ending...pun intended. Great GE scores...but can they beat Cadets and Cavaliers playing so little relative to the constant marching and movements?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

My only criticism is that it seems they play so little music. I want to hear so much more of this brass line.  Great GE scores...but can they beat Cadets and Cavaliers playing so little relative to the constant marching and movements?

Last night they were a few ticks down in GE Music, but brass and percussion were just above Cadets.  

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I am utterly amazed at the guard book in every respect. The concepts, the difficulty, the performances and the many props. It's Crown level.

My only criticism is that it seems they play so little music. I want to hear so much more of this brass line.

This show is a really smart design with a killer ending...pun intended. Great GE scores...but can they beat Cadets and Cavaliers playing so little relative to the constant marching and movements?

Glad you like the show and the guard work. :)

That said...I haven't exactly timed how much music the brass line plays...but I seem to recall that this seems to be a common debate over several years about other top corps as well...then someone takes the time to actually time them and it turns out to be quite similar...maybe you are right...The brass guy in me says ...YES...I want to hear more brass :)

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Glad you like the show and the guard work. :)

That said...I haven't exactly timed how much music the brass line plays...but I seem to recall that this seems to be a common debate over several years about other top corps as well...then someone takes the time to actually time them and it turns out to be quite similar...maybe you are right...The brass guy in me says ...YES...I want to hear more brass :)

I am frankly shocked at the guard. It's like a whole other corps. So much complexity, creativity and story telling that really communicates. The silks, wow. The stages are the only weak point to me, but that's nit picking.

Also I am generally against singing but Wicked Games is cool. It left me wanting a bigger brass moment, though.

I won't see this show live this year which is a bummer. I am betting it is much more convincing musically in person.

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I am frankly shocked at the guard. It's like a whole other corps. So much complexity, creativity and story telling that really communicates. The silks, wow. The stages are the only weak point to me, but that's nit picking.

Also I am generally against singing but Wicked Games is cool. It left me wanting a bigger brass moment, though.

I won't see this show live this year which is a bummer. I am betting it is much more convincing musically in person.

I was going to wait to judge the music book in person myself (early aug)...my default in watching shows is music...but this guard is so good I have a hard time paying attention to anything else...I'm thinking to myself wow what is going to happen next...it is a GE feast to say the least in my opinion of course...

Edited by Liahona

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I was going to wait to judge the music book in person myself (early aug)...my default in watching shows is music...but this guard is so good I have a hard time paying attention to anything else...I'm thinking to myself wow what is going to happen next...it is a GE feast to say the least in my opinion of course...

It is a very complete show. It never slows down, and you get what is happening every step of the way. Maybe a little too much narration, but the way th drill points you to the relevant stage at every step of the story is pretty amazing at this point in the season.

Again, though, I want more playing. Esp brass. Their percussion is shockingly advanced but the show feels heavy on movement and light on music. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

A video does no justice to seeing/ hearing the 2017 Boston show performance live.  But whether it is Boston, or some other Corps... or whether it is 2017, 1999, 1989, or 1979, 1969, etc... a video is a very poor imitation of what a Corps show is really like, live.. And a cell phone video taken from the stands in 2017 is only marginally better than the so called " professional " video/ audio recordings from BITD Corps shows. Those BITD videos were a distorted misrepresentation in many cases of what was seen and heard live for those of us fortunate to have been there live at the time those thoroughly crappy reproduction videos were done of all those Corps shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

A video does no justice to seeing/ hearing the 2017 Boston show performance live.  But whether it is Boston, or some other Corps... or whether it is 2017, 1999, 1989, or 1979... a video is a very poor imitation of what a Corps show is really like, live.. And a cell phone video taken from the stands in 2017 is only marginally better than the so called " professional " video/ audio recordings from BITD Corps shows. Those BITD videos were a distorted misrepresentation in many cases of what was seen and heard live for those of us fortunate to have been there live at the time those thoroughly crappy reproduction videos were down.

Maybe I will drive to Martin to see them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

That's the spirit!  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

You owe it to yourself to see them in person.  This will go down as an historic show, for many reasons, and I think you will be overwhelmed by the brass section once you hear and see it in person.