Cadets 2017

Just now, chaddyt said:

I wouldn't necessarily say negative.  Cadets have been one of the top corps in DCI for decades.  To not pull out a win in any contest all season is an interesting stat to me.  Not a happy one, but I'm used to it being a Philly sports fan.

Allentown got rained out. So there ya go - 

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Allentown got rained out. So there ya go - 

Shows have also been rained out for... well as long as there's been weather.

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Around the 15th or shortly after is what they say

more concerning to me are the music scores aren't with the top group, percussion is really a mystery to me and brass they are supposedly working quite hard on over the next week

so sure new ending will help but they really have to get the music scores heading in the right direction 

a bit odd to me how they were winning Percussion and guard a week ago and now they are so far behind? Wish someone could explain 

On his FB live post last night he sort of mentioned it. 1) he asked judges how big a deal it is that the show isn't finished, compared to others who are mostly finished, and was told it is a big deal. 2) regarding percussion, he said they are executing well, but, judges cannot hear the front ensemble clearly, and they have to figure out balance with the singers drowning them out. 3) he kinda sorta implied that since they aren't playing follow the leader they are getting dinged. Also mentioned, may not be coming to FL next year. 

Edited by JKT90

9 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

On his FB live post last night he sort of mentioned it. 1) he asked judges how big a deal it is that the show isn't finished, compared to others who are mostly finished, and was told it is a big deal. 2) regarding percussion, he said they are executing well, but, judges cannot hear the front ensemble clearly, and they have to figure out balance with the singers drowning them out. 3) he kinda sorta implied that since they aren't playing follow the leader they are getting dinged. Also mentioned, may not be coming to FL next year. 

For someone who has been a director for as long as he has, this should not even be a question. Why would it not be a big deal? While everyone else is getting better and they're stagnating, I think that basically shows that an unfinished show is ONE reason why they're not scoring well. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Anyone know the judging panel for Wednesday in Atlanta?

looking at the usual sources, they are all blanks. Methinks some changes are being made at various corps' requests. JMHO

Edited by xandandl

Still not a bad score for Cadets last night. Clearly Cavaliers are gaining ground in performance captions. Boston is doing the same with a fantastic show. I kind of wondered if Cadets would run into a bit of a rut this season, but it wasn't quite what I thought. Initially when they lost so much staff (either to Boston or people that were just let go) I figured they would have to rebuild and refocus their show efforts. I honestly wasn't expecting them to come out as strong as they did. I loved them in Massillon. 

Not having an ending on the show is a problem, but it's a risk they had to take.  The kind of show they are doing is intricate to say the least. Lots of costuming and staging needs, not to mention a vocal octet being used in the pit in a way we have never seen.  Crown used a vocal group in 2013, but not for the entire show.  Ultimately when it looked as though a lot of fans were going to be critical of the costumes and vocals the opposite has mostly happened.  The vocal group is getting rave reviews, and the costumes are wonderful.  Most people on DCP have commented that this is a much better show than 2016.  Even if it takes 6th, even 7th, it's a better show.

I think for this particular year it was better for them to work slow and get as much right as they could. They've mostly done that. It's a good music book, effective show with some high entertainment and some powerful GE. But selling it means cleaning no doubt. Cleaning means developing performers, not just reps.  The Cadets do seem younger and/or perhaps more inexperienced than normal.  So it will take more time to clean.  

Finishing the show will be paramount. However, they were not going to have time for that while traveling down to Florida and dealing with rain.  They should have some time soon.  Honestly I am glad they have waited to finish the closer.  For this corps, on this particular year, in the predicament they were in 10 months ago, I think this is the best method. Work show, refine, clean, eventually finish the show, and then let's see how it does come Indy. 

Placement for the Cadets means nothing to me this year. I am just thrilled they have a wonderful show. I still think about a week out of Indy they may get hot.  

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

For someone who has been a director for as long as he has, this should not even be a question. Why would it not be a big deal? While everyone else is getting better and they're stagnating, I think that basically shows that an unfinished show is ONE reason why they're not scoring well. 

I agree. Very obvious 

• Like 1