Cadets 2017

9 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

To be fair... they also incorporated electronics, wireless midi, (Plymouth had snares with wireless mics/midi in 1993 courtesy of Pearl), no boundaries, vocals, strings (I know... not a DCI issue)  pre shows, etc. There was a period during the early 90's where the innovation in the marching arts was coming from the top BOA bands. With DCI rule changes (regardless of your position on them) many of the designers who were able to experiment in the MFA/BOA world were able to bring these innovations (and more!) to the DCI groups. During this time there was a real debate inside DCI about ceding innovation to the bands. 

Cadets launched pre shows in the 80s 

vocals were used for many years in band and dci

electronics are the big thing that allowed innovation (along with less risk)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

What year was the Cadets launch of a pre show? Actual vocals were not allowed in DCI (see the 1 point penalty for Amen in the late 70s Cadets... trying to bring this back to the thread). While vocalizations were used (Cadets 84 America)... I do not believe a DCI group featured a vocalist(s). This was done initially by MFA/ BOA groups (I believe).  

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

What year was it that Phantom did basically a pre show for their warm up (sidebar- whatever happened to on field warmup?). Was it '78?  '79?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

What year was the Cadets launch of a pre show? Actual vocals were not allowed in DCI (see the 1 point penalty for Amen in the late 70s Cadets... trying to bring this back to the thread). While vocalizations were used (Cadets 84 America)... I do not believe a DCI group featured a vocalist(s). This was done initially by MFA/ BOA groups (I believe).  

Cadets used vocals in 84, 89, non-playing battery in 90 was a "big deal", 92 guard vocals, 94 vocals, 95 vocals, and then 2000 with BD went to Bb and all the vocals driven shows of the 2000s - my favorites were 2005 and 2007

The first pre show with drill/music as far as Cadets was 88 where they played and moved prior to the show

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think both '78 and '79.  And if I recall correctly, '80, too.  The first go round of Spartacus. 

ah good catch, SCV 87 did the pre show acting and then "froze" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets used vocals in 84, 89, non-playing battery in 90 was a "big deal", 92 guard vocals, 94 vocals, 95 vocals, and then 2000 with BD went to Bb and all the vocals driven shows of the 2000s - my favorites were 2005 and 2007

The first pre show with drill/music as far as Cadets was 88 where they played and moved prior to the show

The Cadets vocal in 84 was an effect in the opening of America (melody sung on "ah") and then the "bye-bye" by the guard. What about featured vocals... When did this occur? Reminds me of the "non-playing battery in 90. What is this? Now... the Cadets vocal ensemble this year is a true innovation. Love the way it is treated an equal "voice" with brass, battery, and pit. 

2 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

The Cadets vocal in 84 was an effect in the opening of America (melody sung on "ah") and then the "bye-bye" by the guard. What about featured vocals... When did this occur? Reminds me of the "non-playing battery in 90. What is this? Now... the Cadets vocal ensemble this year is a true innovation. Love the way it is treated an equal "voice" with brass, battery, and pit. 

In "Somewhere" in the 1990 show the battery just stood on the back field the entire time and didn't play. It was quite a topic of conversation at the time lol. Then they had them hold up white panels so they did "something" in Somewhere... 

The first year for Cadets with a true vocalist singing and entire song I think was 2006 during the intro, the entire ballad and she MC'd other portions, I loved it. Only about 5 other people did...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

In "Somewhere" in the 1990 show the battery just stood on the back field the entire time and didn't play. It was quite a topic of conversation at the time lol. Then they had them hold up white panels so they did "something" in Somewhere... 

Got it... Thanks! In 1983 there was a LOT of discussion about how much the battery played. We had staff members from other corps actually timing us with a watch to se how much "tacit" time we had. Almighty Father and Simple Song had the most extended period of tacit. Of course... no one else was running around with drums like we did that year but it did not help us with credit on the drum sheets (did help with GE and Music).

• Like 1