Cadets 2017

I think this is for the individual corps to decide

Again a narcissistic answer rather than looking at the common and total good.

If I do only what is right for me, there may not be other corps left with whom to compete.

I enjoyed Bluecoats, but with some reservation. I don't deny the corps as the legitimate winner this year. That's for the judges, and I respect their expertise. I found myself enjoying them like most everyone else. It WAS exciting, even mesmerizing. But, so is cliff diving.

For me, this was a "OOOOOKAY . . . . . so where does this go from here?" experience.

Drum corps has become a little like rock concert acts through the years. Each a little more outrageous than the last. Costuming, make-up, light shows, video screens, smoke, fire, you name it! Or like Country Music, that's not all that country anymore.

This is the new millennium, of course. A faster pace. The pressure to keep up will be challenging for corps and audience alike!

Its a fair question to ask... one that nobody knows. Lots of amateur youth sports, despite practically little to no changes the last 50 years, have grown... both in tv exposure, teams, participants, attendance, fan base, etc. I realize that Drum Corps is not totally like amateur sports. But there are many similarities too.

Some of the biggest music acts, at the largest arenas, biggest audiences, etc are musical groups playing the exact same songs they did 20,30,40,... 50 years ago, ..only to a newer, younger generation that is unfamilar with them. I'm not saying Drum Corps should be like 20- 50 years ago here. I'm only responding that some things are valued, despite not changing at all. Van Gogh, Emily Dickinson, etc have centuries of unchanged works valued MORE today by younger, newer generations, than even many of the works of Art and Literature of today in many cases. Classic Cars, Classic Antiques, Classic Furniture, etc... valued today more than 50 years ago... by younger, newer clientele, not particularly embued with the " mod " look of today. What Music are Corps playing in DCI today ? All new ? think again. Compositions written years ago.... again, mostly Music compositions unchanged too. Symphony Orchestra's still tend to look the same to me... same instrumentations... same seatings by the performers... same dress.... etc.. not much changed in 50 years years here, for the most part either. Drum Corps, by contrast, has " changed " more than any activity one could possibly think of, imo. Yet, we are reminded daily on how " change happens "... as if somebody, somewhere thinks Drum Corps is still like the Beachboys of the 1962 & 2016, or Jimmy Buffett of 1972, 2016, Stones of 1966, 2016,.etc and dozens of other musicians, groups, etc.. the list goes on and on..... mostly unchanged from 25- 50 years ago, but larger in appeal now with audiences than even 25- 50 years ago, despite being almost completely devoid of any changes at all during these last 25- 50 years.. Just sayin'.

This is an ever changing production today, So with that somethings need to change imo. I recently went to the symphony . I t was fantastic, huge screens, lasers, air acrobats etc etc. Im not going to debate if change will happen or not . You stated yourself it WILL happen. So we are on board or we arent. I myself choose to be on as well as its a persons right to get o off that train I suppose.

I'm not fond of comparisons sport wise or otherwise. We say our activity is unique. So are we or arent we and even if we want to compare, what does it matter what other do , dont do . I get respect , and encourage young people to know their traditions and know what was possible today is ONLY because of what came before us but will not let any of that hold back the future ( if one feels it does ) We know we would not be here today but for yesterday so if there are some who dont care for today then who do we have to blame....hmmmm

Brasso. I appreciate you comments and you thought process on all those example BUT in all that never really talk about who we are as an activity. Comparisons are great BUT do they really have anything to do with what we do. Maybe Maybe not. I guess for some it would and others not at all. Which is just fine

Edited by GUARDLING

Again a narcissistic answer rather than looking at the common and total good.

If I do only what is right for me, there may not be other corps left with whom to compete.

No whats narcissistic is anyone thinking they have the right to tell any corps what they should or shouldnt do or tell them they are wrong for it. Did Cadets uniform change affect anyone but Cadets? No

Is tradition important? of course it is, I dont think anyone is saying it isnt BUT there's lots of ways to continue tradition. If what you dont like is the extra toys in todays shows , fair enough, that's you personal choice and you are more than entitled to an opinion there.

Where we cross the line is telling anyone what they can or cant do. Before you say BUT I dio I give a donation. Well sorry unless you are bank rolling everything then we arent entitled to decide things for a corps with the price of a ticket.

Edited by GUARDLING

I think that DCI is doing that in quiet ways perhaps not obvious to the fan base.

For instance, I noticed that five different corps were using the same charter bus company from the middle of America. Cadets and Phantom Regiment were two. For the last few years, Cadets and Blue Coats used the same charter company. I presume the corps are jointly putting tours to bid or at least corps are communicating when they find a bargain deal from a reliable vendor. Perhaps vendors are also getting tour savvy.

YEA and G-7/8 were partly attempts to band together although both approaches had major philosophical and practical aspects which raised concern.

But the joint bidding for commonalities such as food, transportation, housing, and inventory would be helpful to all.

Right. With growth should come opportunities to marshall power that comes from a joint business decision that benefits everyone.

it would mean, inevitably, that some corps directors would have to work with organizations they didn't select. But no NFL team can choose to wear whatever uniforms they choose. The NFL cuts a deal that is good for everyone.

In college sports, conferences cut deals on behalf of all members. Some are Alabama, while others are Vanderbilt. But the benefit of being in a conference is the opportunities to make money as a group that you cannot make independently. Likewise, conferences band together under the banner of the NCAA to cut other deals that benefit all NCAA members. And, at the same time, each school retains some rights to negotiate deals with other partners for specific sports.

No doubt I am not the first person to come up with this, so forgive me for perhaps sounding like I just discovered water.

• Like 1

Brasso, I appreciate your perspectives and comments, as always.

That said, if you believe the reason attendance and popularity is what it is because corps don't widely march in military styled uniforms anymore, sorry, don't buy it. .

I appreciate your insights as well, MikeRapp.

I never mentioned uniforms styles at all in my commentary. Since it is raised now, my position is that what duds a Corps wears has little to no bearing on their placements. I see all manner of attire, and yet see no correlation between styles and placements. I do not assign Bluecoats attire to their win this season any more than Cadets traditional attire to their win in 2011. Academy had a nice, clean traditional uni... unchanged in several years it its style for them, and made Finals over a Corps ( Troopers ) that eschewed their traditinal look and went mod this season. Yet it did nothing for them in their placements hopes however. Attire is irrelevant, imo

Edited by BRASSO

No whats narcissistic is anyone thinking they have the right to tell any corps what they should or shouldnt do or tell them they are wrong for it. Did Cadets uniform change affect anyone but Cadets? No

They don't have the right unless the members remit their right to do otherwise.

Membership in DCI transfers rights already, others would/could be added to it.

I appreciate your insights as well, MikeRapp.

I never mentioned uniforms styles at all in my commentary. Since it is raised now, my position is that what duds a Corps wears has little to no bearing on their placements. I see all manner of attire, and yet see no correlation between styles and placements. I do not assign Bluecoats attire to their win this season any more than Cadets traditional attire to their win 3 years ago either.

Well, I see your point, but it's not relevant to this discussion. All corps buy uniforms in great quantities. Whether they are traditional or modern doesn't matter to this discussion.

• Like 3

They don't have the right unless the members remit their right to do otherwise.

Membership in DCI transfers rights already, others would/could be added to it.

I think we are all starting to drift from what started as uniforms a few pages back and bells and whistles some dont care for Corps have these rights to wear what they want. Unless I didnt see it TRADITIONS for some were the big question and questioning the Cadet tradition

Well, I see your point, but it's not relevant to this discussion. All corps buy uniforms in great quantities. Whether they are traditional or modern doesn't matter to this discussion.

And this was how today this started I think. X posting about lack of traditions or something to that sort. HArd to tell when these threads drift page after page....lol